X

Newcomer from Southern California - Riverside

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newcomer from Southern California - Riverside

Hey guys, my name is Jon. I've been a stalker of this site for a few months now, reading, scowering, wasting tons and tons of time on here reading. Found this site in June when I bought my Kat. Wanted to post a lot of times, but I work night shift, and was overall rather intimidated at my lack of bike knowledge haha. Rather weird to admit because I'm such an outgoing person. Anyway, hiya, nice to meet you all - and all that jazz : )

Mine's a 1990 GSXF 600 I bought from a guy for 900$ cash. I'm a poor college student who needs transportation and has been in love with bikes forever, but never had one. Ridden dirt-bikes and I always used to take my friends ninja 650 out for spins hehe.

But reading around, it seems like this bike will need a lot of work, and frankly I'm overwhelmed heh. It has the 2nd gear problem, slips out at 3k rpm back into neutral, though I usually just double shift up and skip it straight to third. I'm pretty sure the carbs need to be sync'd, because it's getting bad gas mileage and backfires(what's the other one called? hah) from the exhaust. The guy had a slip on DnD which actually sounds really nice, and some whack red/black paint job he did from a rattle can. Unfortunately he used no prep work, so I'll be repainting it sometime in the future. Also the back breaks seem to have a leak in the hydrolics somewhere, they weren't grabbing, I bled them out with a friend and refilled the resevior with fluid, stayed and gripped well for about 3 days, then lost all it's ....compression? haha.

I've already layed it down once, breaking too hard (guess I was breaking harder than I remember, because I don't think I hit them that hard); pulled in the front break, tail end came up a tiny bit and I started going crooked. I was stopping for a hidden stopsign that was convienently covered by a tree : ) Let off the breaks and got the wobble, then it kicked me off. Walked away totally fine, a little bruised. The side case cover ground a hole in it from sliding, but i cleaned it up really well and JB welded it after pinging it out with a hammer. Remounted that and I'm riding it again.

Jesus christ that was a huge post, apologies for the lengthiness of it.

Anyway, it's 6.30am here PST time for bed, I'll see if I can post pics tomorrow, if anyone's interested : )

Welcome from 4 hours north of ya! Sounds like you got a heck of a project there.
    2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
    BMC Notorious 918 HT
    2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Hey! Welcome to Katriders!!!
      'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE
      ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS
      ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

sigpic----------------------------------------

Comment

Welcome to KR!

Comment

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Welcome to KR. You've come to the right place if you're planning on working on your own bike. I'm fairly new at maintenance and repairs but gain confidence with every new job. Read and reread the threads that apply, stay patient, and you'll be fine.
            If it works, it's obsolete.
            Marshall McLuhan

Comment

Welcome from just slightly north and west of ya bro!

THE DOC
              THE DOC
              RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
              Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
              mistake when you make it again.
              sigpic

Comment

Welcome from Texas! Howdy, howdy, howdy!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

hello and welcome hope you take the msf course so you will not repeat that mistake again that put u down good luck with your riding
                  sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Welcome!
                    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I lived in Riverside in the 80s.

Comment

Welcome to KR from Chino.

Tmod

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

Welcome to KR. I hope you get your bike running like you want.
                            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                            ------------------------------------------
                            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Stalkers are always welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X