X

Finally getting to intro... lots of Q's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally getting to intro... lots of Q's

Hi, my name is Jason, I live in Merritt, B.C., Canada. This is my 4th bike, and I am rapidly falling in love with it.
    1st bike - 1998DR350
    2nd bike - 1987 XV1100
    3rd bike - 1981 GS850L
    Current bike - 2006 GSX600F - all stock, for now.

Been surfin' around Katriders for a couple weeks now, looks good so far. I have been a Gsresources member for a while now but wanted to get something newer that would handle and, umm, stop!

Bought the Kat with 1100KM on it in the beginning of August for $6K. The guy never rode it and never abused it. The oil looked brand new and was never changed.

I have put nearly 2000Km on it, did the first service at 2300KM and adjusted the valves and checked everything. BTW - In experience, I had around 6 valves out of spec, too tight! I advise - do the 1st service, I did my own, but spend the money, so you don't have burnt valves! I switched over to synthetic mobil1 already.

I love the bike but I really am thinking I want a little more kick. My father in law bought a 2008 GSXR1000 and ruined me! I took it for a burn and I really should have abstained. Now I can't enjoy the gear down and zip up of the 600.

Couple things I have learned from the site so far, correct me if I am wrong...
    1. Dynojet - BAD

2. K&N - not preferred?

3. Macadams - suck?

While I am here, I would like to ask a couple questions maybe get a couple quick answers.

I would like to zip up the Kat a little and I have a bottom end hesitation off idle around 2500-4000rpm cruising.

Q. Can I pull the idle set screw caps and adjust some of that out?

Q. I had some shifting issues at 1500KM when shifting gently in the city - engine hot- suzuki 10w-40 oil, when upshifting 2-3 and 3-4 it felt like the shifter didn't go all the way and it missed the gear engagement, then chattered and clunked into gear. Hasn't happened recently but I don't have warranty obviously and it kinda scared me, any advice appreciated.

Q. in the quest for a little more zip, is the timing advance mod worth it?

Q.Has anybody tried running any of the other spark plugs listed in the owner's guide and what difference does it make, any?

Thanks guys, I'm having lots of fun with my bike and I think she is beautiful. hope to have lots of good conversation and contribute to tech help after I get to know my bike better.

Later,
    J

welcome to KR!
    -
    -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Welcome to KR!
      PAUL
      93 GSXF6 PIX.

"Opinions are like A$$holes, Everybody has one"

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders.
        2003 Katzuki 600

Comment

Q1- Yes, adjust them. If you're looking for more 'pep', install an Ivan's jet kit.
          Q2- Shift faster. Otherwise, make sure your clutch is adjusted properly, and your shift linkage is adjusted properly for your foot size, position, and range of motion.
          Q3- Most say it's worth it. (I've never done it, so I dunno)
          Q4- Stick with the recommended ones. Visit CyberPoet's site about 98+ Katana's. http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/Katana/index.html
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Welcome
            R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

welcome to kr

Comment

Welcome to the site, hope the 600 doesn't bore you

Comment

I rekon it's plenty fast for him.... going from his list of previous bikes...

600's do 130... I've been over 130 like a handful of times in my 3 years of riding... so plenty of speed on the big ol Kat to keep us excited....

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post

Q. I had some shifting issues at 1500KM when shifting gently in the city - engine hot- suzuki 10w-40 oil, when upshifting 2-3 and 3-4 it felt like the shifter didn't go all the way and it missed the gear engagement, then chattered and clunked into gear. Hasn't happened recently but I don't have warranty obviously and it kinda scared me, any advice appreciated.
                    Check out the Factory Pro shift springs - a little stiffer for a more positive gear engagement.

Welcome to KR and I see the search feature does actually work.
                    2000 Katana 600
                    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders!
                      2006 Katana 750 (taken by the guy that said he didn't see me)
                      2006 VFR800 to replace the broken Kat.

Comment

Hey allblackkat,
                        It's not the top speed that takes the fun out of it, it's the acceleration that is the fun part. I have gone to demo days and rode a b-king and my father in laws GSXR1000 and they all really pull hard, stupid hard. Sometimes I just wish I had a little more pull on the bottom. I have had the bike up to 190 Km/h and it definitely goes plenty fast enough, I just miss the raw pull some days of the bigger bikes. I have a family, so this bike was in my budget, but come to think of it, the gixxer is stored here and I am allowed to ride it anytime

Comment

Welcome to KR

THE DOC
                          THE DOC
                          RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                          Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                          mistake when you make it again.
                          sigpic

Comment

yeah you camt compare a 600 to a 1k or 1300 .. there is no comparison .. maybe a gearing change to give it a bit more grunt down low since topend aint all that much of an issue .. also wont be effected all that much anyway .. unless you go crazy .. couple teeth should give a little of what you want .. kats are comfy and dependable ..cant expect much more for the price
                            so many roads so little time

Comment

hello and welcome
                              sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Working...
                              X