Thanks for the encouraging help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the encouraging help

How's it going folks?

I'm a new rider, bought my first bike last fall for half a song, a 96 Katana 600, in decent shape with far more miles on it than I care to admit. I knew nothing about bikes, except that I felt my heart pump faster in my chest every time I heard a group of riders pass me by on the street. I took my bike to the shop for almost every thing it needed until the repair bill started to surpass the amount I paid for the bike.
    About two months ago I found KatRiders.com and could not believe the amount of free advise, detailed instructions, and overall community provided in this site. I stayed up late at night reading many of your post and eventually understood why I was so intrigued the Kat on the day I saw it buried under a mount of old rags, boxes, and cowebs in the garage of the guy that sold it to me.
    In the past month I have performed the $1 front suspension upgrade, ditched my bald BattleAxes and replaced them with Roadtec Z6s, removed and polished my wheels, cleaned my chain with kerosene and a toothbrush, adjusted chain slack, aligned the rear wheel, replaced both bent clip on handle bars, replaced grips, adjusted dampening and preload on the rear shock to suit my needs, replaced the clutch cable, replaced clutch and brake levers, replaced head light and instrument cluster lights, deleted the license plate holder, added bright LED rear turn signals, and replaced the flasher relay. At $80 for an oil change I'm sure I'll start performing as much of my maintenance as possible and with the willing help of all the folks on this forum I'm sure my wrenching days will be more satifying than swiping my card at the shop.

Thanks for the help guys and gals!
    1996 Suzuki Katana GSX600F
    My heart rate slows down, I begin to daydream and my eyes feel heavy when I sit in my car in traffic. None of that ever happens when I'm on my bike.

hello and welcome I see that you been in the forums big time hahaha
    sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Welcome to KR! Once you've gotten acquainted with her, you'll realize just how easy it is to maintain her yourself! They are not very demanding in the maintenance department, and with basic care, will run a long time.
      2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
      2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Welcome to KR, I would say welcome to the forums, but you seem to have a bit of experience there!

Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders. You sure catch on quick. Be safe and enjoy the ride.
          2003 Katzuki 600

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders
            sigpic

Faster, Faster, Faster... Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." Hunter S. Thompson

" Rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow "

Comment

Welcome to KR and ride safely.

Comment

Welcome to KR.

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders
                  2007 Honda CBR600rr
                  2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                  sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders!
                    2006 Katana 750 (taken by the guy that said he didn't see me)
                    2006 VFR800 to replace the broken Kat.

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                      sigpic
                      Dale Earnhardt, Adam Petty, Neil Bonnet, Davey Allison & Alan Kulwicki ... And all other Members of Heavens 500. You will be forever missed.

Comment

Welcome to KR

MrsNITRO
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        I have gone to find myself......If I get back before I return............Keep me here!

Comment

Welcome to KR

THE DOC
                          THE DOC
                          RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                          Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                          mistake when you make it again.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X