X

Potential new Kat owner!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential new Kat owner!

Hey everyone, I just joined this site and I'm doing a little research before I buy the '90 Katana 750 that I'm looking at. I currently own a Yamaha Seca II, I love almost everything about it and it's my first bike. The the things I don't like about it are:

-It's narrow and exposed, and I do a lot of freeway commuting...
    -I like to carry my gf, and the Seca II HATES it.
    -When I push the bike hard in the twistys, I feel crunched in the aggressive riding position, and the way the shifter/rear brake is laid out I have a tough time using them, and my foot always drags on the ground.

I took the seca in to get new fork seals, and the guy who runs the shop has a '90 kanatuna 750 for sale, asking $2000. It's got a lot (basically all) of recent service done, ie: brakes, chain, brand new tires, oil change, new fork seals, rebuilt carbs, etc. It's in great shape, adult owned, stock, 20k miles.

My buddy offered me $2000 (which is ridiculous, but i'm not complaining) for my seca the other day. I could basically do the swap and have it cost me nothing, and I think i'd be upgrading bikes and clearing up the current issues I have with my bike.

I'm wondering what you katana owners think about the situation? Good deal, yes/no? Do you think i'd be happy with the bike? The only thing that really concerns me is potential 2nd gear problems... I hear that is an issue with these bikes, and an expensive one. I'd hate to get this bike than have to drop a ton of cash into new gears. Any input you guys could give me on that would be great. Thanks, and I'm excitied about hopefully becoming a part of the Katana community!!

If you can sell your Seca to a friend for what the Kat 750 willcost, I think it sounds like a good deal. As long as 2nd gear is working corectly right now, as long as you remember to use the clutch when you shift from 1st to 2nd you should be fine. At least you have the heads up on 2nd gear before buying it, so you know to take it a little easier on 2nd gear. I didn't know there were any problems with them until after I lost my 2nd gear, so now it's going to cost me about $600 to get it repaired. And welcome to KR
    John,
    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
    sigpic

Comment

Go for it!!
      2007 Honda CBR600rr
      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
      sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR! Sounds like a good deal to me. I wouldn't stress the second gear thing, it sounds like the Kat has been well cared for.

Comment

welcome and hello
          sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders.
            2003 Katzuki 600

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome to KR
                Some days your the bug.....Some days your the windshield.

Comment

Welcome To KatRiders !
                  sigpic

Faster, Faster, Faster... Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." Hunter S. Thompson

" Rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow "

Comment

great deal... the katana will not have you crunched up in that aggressive riding stance.....but you can if you'd like

Comment

Welcome to KR

THE DOC
                      THE DOC
                      RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                      Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                      mistake when you make it again.
                      sigpic

Comment

Welcome.
                        Its a good deal.

Comment

Working...
                        X