X

Might be purchasing a 1996 Katana 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might be purchasing a 1996 Katana 600

Hey everyone, I might be purchasing a 1996 Katana 600 and wanted to see if you guys had any advice for me on what to look for. I have rode bikes since I was 8 years old and sold my last bike (dirt bike) a few months ago. I had not planned on buying a street bike but stumbled upon one for sale on my forum and thought I may get it for something fun to do on a weekend when spring comes.

Is there any particular issues on the 1996 600cc Katana I need to look for or anything I should look for or any suggestions in general?

Thanks

www.WVstreets.com

Originally posted by mrphotoman View Post
    Hey everyone, I might be purchasing a 1996 Katana 600 and wanted to see if you guys had any advice for me on what to look for. I have rode bikes since I was 8 years old and sold my last bike (dirt bike) a few months ago. I had not planned on buying a street bike but stumbled upon one for sale on my forum and thought I may get it for something fun to do on a weekend when spring comes.

Is there any particular issues on the 1996 600cc Katana I need to look for or anything I should look for or any suggestions in general?

Thanks
    Well hopefully your a bit bike savy assuming so because you said you had a dirtbike. Look for the obvious damage if any. Check the front end on it make sure there is no obvious damage to the forks etc.. check to see if there is any fluids leaking or if it has had any fluid leaks. Look under the belly of the bike at the inside of the lower fairings to see if there is fresh oil on the inside of the fairings. Check the sprockets to ensure there are no missing teeth and check the back tire for wobble. To do so put up on center stand and grab the top and bottom of the tire from one side of the bike and see if it wobbles back and forth any. See if the owner has any service records and mostly the miles! the 96 is a great bike and you will not be one bit dissapointed. Good luck on your purchase:smt006
    It does not matter what you ride as long as it has two wheels and at least one on the ground!

Comment

welcome to the forum .. do a search for buying used bikes and you will find cyberpoets guide.. good stuff there .. hope all goes well for you
      so many roads so little time

Comment

Hi and welcome to KR!

Check this out out from Cyber:
        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
        JOHN 16:33

Comment

Cool thanks.

I am interested in the katana because of the price and they seem to be more comfortable to ride on longer trips than most bikes.

www.WVstreets.com

Comment

Hello and welcome to KatRiders
            2007 Honda CBR600rr
            2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
            sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR!
              2006 Katana 750 (taken by the guy that said he didn't see me)
              2006 VFR800 to replace the broken Kat.

Comment

If you can ride it, check second gear. Sometimes it will pop out of second, something inherent with these bikes.

Comment

It looks like I am going to get it on Saturday. It sucks that all I can do is look at it till March or April though, lol.

Here is a few photos after the custom paint, the mirrors are still off in the pics. I will post daylight photos on Sunday.

Any suggestons on some decals to make it look nice? I want to go with black and I have a vinyl cutter so I can do about anything.

www.WVstreets.com

Comment

Welcome to KR

Bike looks good.. go yellow!!
                    "When people look like ants, pull. When ants looks like people, pray!"
                    Suzuki Katana Templates, Manuals, Tutorials| Read This Before Buying or Trading| My Parts Wanted Thread for my '01 Katana 600

Comment

Welcome to KR !
                      sigpic

Faster, Faster, Faster... Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." Hunter S. Thompson

" Rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow "

Comment

welcome!

Comment

Working...
                        X