X

New member, Montreal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member, Montreal

Hi, I have been here for a couple of weeks but I wanted to introduce myself.
    I'm Sam in the analog life (Slamcool in the digital ;D )

I'm 30. Just go here and you can see my face in big so you might recognize me someday http://www.samueltremblay.com

My father was a typical rider from the 70s, working on bikes and riding all the time, with his big beard, sun glasses and those ugly round metal flake style helmets from back then. His nickname was 'the Mechanic' and everybody in his home town would come to see him whenever they wanted to transform their bike into a chopper...
    Yes I was raised with bikes. Traveling with my father everywhere on his bike, I would sit in font and enjoy the view until I slept on the tank for the remaining of the longer rides. Yep, that was 70s and my early years of life.
    From as far as I can go back in my memory, I had a gas tank between my legs. It was a family thing. Drove my first mini-trail at around 8. Then I went on for some dirt bike driving and jumping for a few summers.

Scooter at 14. My father made that funny surprise.
    He had a garage and I was working for him part-time to make few bucks. Cleaning the floor, painting engines for his kit cars and so on.
    One day he had a job for me, telling me he was giving a favor to a friend of his and overhaul an old scooter for his son. And that was gonna be a good job for me and that I would make good money.
    "But do it good Sam, I want his son to be happy, because his father, he's a good old friend of mine"
    Fine. He made me take the whole bike apart, made me open and clean the carbs, open the whole engine, remove the piston, order a new one, shoed me how to put the rings on, to hone the cylinder in an X shape with special grinding rocks, and so on and so on. The wiring, the transmission, everything.
    It was made in a "do and teach" method. Took me few weeks do it all.
    Job done, I remember telling myself... pfff, this guy was gonna have an old scooter that was restored to new. It still was not a new model! Poor him, I told myself.

In fact it probably was my jealousy speaking... His father was offering him a scooter, while mine was making me work hard.

A week later, my father gives me this little box at my birthday.... yeah, you guessed right, with the scooters key inside! To have worked so hard on that machine I would remember the key shape forever!
    "What the f'... dad? It's the key of your friend's son's scooter!"
    And he had that huge smile... "You are the son in question... there's no friend, it's me that bought it for you"

In the end, had paid me to overhaul my future gift.... LOLLL

So that was my first street ride... got it until my first car. Around 17.
    Life has brought me traveling and stuff, I was not financially capable, so I was away from bikes for longtime. But constantly dreaming to get my full motorcycle driving license and to buy my own bike during all that time....

Got it at 27 after all... 10 years later. It's my Kat and I love the bike
    I run it for 3 years and now I'm beginning the enjoyment of customizing it to my likes, eventually making it unique

Have a nice ride katriders!
    Sam

Welcome to KR

THE DOC
    THE DOC
    RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
    mistake when you make it again.
    sigpic

Comment

I sell my Kat and all kind of katriders shows up around montreal

Bienvenue Samuel et on se verra peut-être au bike night sur la 13
      Guylaine
      Try and keep up now

Comment

great story !!!
        Welcome to KR

Comment

welcome!

Comment

GREAT STORY!

Hope to ride with you one day soon.

Comment

Great story, cool site. Welcome to KR Slammin' Sammy Cool!
              R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Hello Sam and welcome to KatRiders.

When do you usually park your bike for the Winter in Montreal?

You ever go riding down in the Green Mtns of Vermont or the Adirondacks of NY? That is some good riding country there.
                2007 Honda CBR600rr
                2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR Sam and thanks for sharing that story. I might just use that one on my kids!
                  "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                  JOHN 16:33

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders!
                    2006 Katana 750 (taken by the guy that said he didn't see me)
                    2006 VFR800 to replace the broken Kat.

Comment

I liked the story!! Welcome To KatRiders!!
                      2000 Katana 750
                      -VERITAS AEQUITAS-

Comment

Originally posted by Zepp
                        Hello Sam and welcome to KatRiders.

When do you usually park your bike for the Winter in Montreal?

You ever go riding down in the Green Mtns of Vermont or the Adirondacks of NY? That is some good riding country there.
                        I park it late in Montreal since in the last years, it took long before we had snow. I was still riding last November if I remember correctly.
                        I have been around there in car but not with my bike yet, I guess it's something I should plan on doing...
                        cheers

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaSoldier
                          Welcome to KR Sam and thanks for sharing that story. I might just use that one on my kids!
                          hehe yeah, the good thing is that in fact, I had 2 gifts...
                          The scooter and some good mechanical knowledge. ;D

2 for 1!

Comment

Originally posted by GSkyX-R1000
                            I sell my Kat and all kind of katriders shows up around montreal

Bienvenue Samuel et on se verra peut-être au bike night sur la 13
                            hehe, merci!

Comment

Working...
                            X