X

so i bought a 600 motor for 50 bucks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so i bought a 600 motor for 50 bucks

hi guys, my name is michael. a couple friends and myself are building a shifter kart with a bike motor. earlier tonight we bought an early 90s katana 600cc motor for fifty bucks. it dropped a valve in cylinder one (sprocket side) and messed up the head and piston pretty badly. hopefully you guys can help us learn a bit about these bikes. \

we have an extra head but the timing chain opening is quite a bit larger. supposedly it is off a 750 of the same vintage. too bad it will not fit our block. if what i have read is correct then any 600 from 88-97 should bolt right up, but are certain years better castings than others?

thanks guys, enjoy the pictures...

600cc shifter kart

the kart frame is an Emmick chassis that will be stretched 6-8". all of the fabrication is done in house and the machine work will be handled by an old friend.

maybe next year we will experiment with a k03 turbo and megasquirt. i mean, it's a go kart. why not?
    600cc shifter kart

Comment

Why not??? Maybe because you kinda sorta love life??

that piston and combustion chamber looks pretty beat up. Pistons are easily changed, but reworking the CC will be a chore, if at all possible. Can't really tell from the pics what the cylinder wall is like. Anything like the CC and piston, and you may have a Katana boat anchor on your bench.

Good luck, anyway.
      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

You may have better luck finding the info you need in the 'mechanics 101' section. If not you can do a search or post a new thread there. This section's only for intros, michael.

Welcome to the forum, though!
        =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB
          Why not??? Maybe because you kinda sorta love life??

that piston and combustion chamber looks pretty beat up. Pistons are easily changed, but reworking the CC will be a chore, if at all possible. Can't really tell from the pics what the cylinder wall is like. Anything like the CC and piston, and you may have a Katana boat anchor on your bench.

Good luck, anyway.
          i love life, just as long as i get to go fast!

the cylinder can be honed. we took the block and head to a machine shop today and he said the head was fixable but not really worth it when you look at the price of a good used head.

new pistons and rods are on order. everything in the motor will be gone over and we'll replace what we need to.
          600cc shifter kart

Comment

Good luck with that motor. I bet once it's done it will all be worth it. Whatever happened to dropping a lawnmower engine in there Am I that old? I'm only 36. Now they're dropping cycle engines on go carts lol. COOL!! I'd drive it!!
            Good Luck!!
            2000 Katana 750
            -VERITAS AEQUITAS-

Comment

Welcome to KR!

Comment

Originally posted by ill750
                Good luck with that motor. I bet once it's done it will all be worth it. Whatever happened to dropping a lawnmower engine in there Am I that old? I'm only 36. Now they're dropping cycle engines on go carts lol. COOL!! I'd drive it!!
                Good Luck!!
                that frame has had an 5hp briggs and straton that made a little over 15hp on alcohol and spray, but ended up exploding the crank. then i dropped on an rm125 two stroke motor on spray, but couldn't get the tranny to hold up. i wonder how this new motor will hold up to the gas...
                600cc shifter kart

Comment

Welcome to KR

THE DOC
                  THE DOC
                  RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                  Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                  mistake when you make it again.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X