Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Packing list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help with Packing list

    Hello fellow Katana owners,


    I am about to set off on a 7 hour ride to Capital city for our Canada Day celebration July 1st. Being this is my first season ever on a motorcycle and my very first touring adventure on this bike. So looking forward to it!!


    My question is; what are the normal things I will need to pack other than the obvious such as clothing? Which tools and gear do you all recommend I bring along?


    And how do you generally prep the bike before a long ride (7 hours there and 7 hours back a few days later)? Clean and lube the chain and oil change for sure...Anything else?

  • #2
    Capital city, Toronto? That is not 7 hours from Hamilton, Ottawa?

    Do your standard check, chain, sprockets, brakes, brake fluid, air pressure, etc.

    As far as tools go, I would say for a 7 hour trip just your standard tool kit that comes with the bike. I have not done it yet this year due to broken collar bone, but previous years most of my rides are 5 to 9 hours. No special tools required.

    Make sure you have a spare key, and that it is not locked under the seat (Yes I did that, but due to some back ground skills it did not hold me up long).
    2002 750 Kat
    2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
    2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
    2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
    1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
    2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

    Comment


    • #3
      Hamilton to Ottawa..Yes. Taking a more northern route to get there due to the nice twisty roads through forests and around lakes. Adds 2 hours to the trip but I would rather have a longer enjoyable ride then a slightly quicker boring straight Highway run.


      Never thought the spare key thing...Good idea

      Comment


      • #4
        Just out of curiosity, what route are you taking, you say Northern route, Huntsville, or more through the Kawartha Lakes way?

        I have not been that way yet, but I am planning a few runs out that way.
        Last edited by dano68; 06-16-2016, 03:05 PM.
        2002 750 Kat
        2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
        1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
        2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dano68 View Post
          Just out of curiosity, what route are you taking, you say Northern route, Huntsville, or more through the Kawartha Lakes way?

          I have not been that way yet, but I am planning a few runs out that way.


          Going up through to Gravenhurst, and then taking 118 east to Ottawa. 118 looks like a very twisty road...hopefully the road condition is fair...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MotorBikeMike View Post
            Going up through to Gravenhurst, and then taking 118 east to Ottawa. 118 looks like a very twisty road...hopefully the road condition is fair...
            Nice, Let me know how it is. I have been looking at that route for a few years now. I have herd pretty good thing about it.
            2002 750 Kat
            2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
            2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
            2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
            1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
            2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

            Comment


            • #7
              rain gear, water. +1 on extra key.
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

              Comment


              • #8
                It depends what your mindset is. On another forum, one of the guys whom I attend rallies with, brings 1/2 an engine, middle, final drive, break/clutch levers, cables, etc.

                I did a 12-hour ride a few weeks ago, and took a tire repair kit, air compressor, oil, first air kit, rain gear, tools, throttle and clutch cable, brake and clutch lever, FLASHLIGHT, and metric sockets. And, guess what? I used evetything I packed except the tire repair kit!
                '92 GSX1100F Red/Maroon

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MotorBikeMike View Post
                  Hello fellow Katana owners,


                  I am about to set off on a 7 hour ride to Capital city for our Canada Day celebration July 1st. Being this is my first season ever on a motorcycle and my very first touring adventure on this bike. So looking forward to it!!


                  My question is; what are the normal things I will need to pack other than the obvious such as clothing? Which tools and gear do you all recommend I bring along?


                  And how do you generally prep the bike before a long ride (7 hours there and 7 hours back a few days later)? Clean and lube the chain and oil change for sure...Anything else?
                  Here are a couple of my thoughts. I have toured thousands of miles on my Kat 600, and failures I have had to address on the road include breaks and a chain. So, if you have room, I would pack brakes, a spare chain and tools to change both on the side of the road. And then, I would bring rain gear. nothing more miserable than being wet on the road.

                  As far as prep, the most important thing is to clean, lube and tighten your chain. Check your sprockets, to make sure they aren't too worn. And obviously, check your tire tread and inflation and oil level. If that's all good, start packing! Best of luck!
                  Last edited by pikachukat; 06-18-2016, 06:51 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ear buds and cell phone charger, walking shoes if your wearing riding boots.
                    Frozen water bottles plus a ball cap & some shades and a lot really depends on weather. Bike lock or helmet lock too. You could always swing by my place as i'm not that far out of the way!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dano68 View Post
                      Nice, Let me know how it is. I have been looking at that route for a few years now. I have herd pretty good thing about it.
                      Will do

                      Originally posted by loneraider View Post
                      Ear buds and cell phone charger, walking shoes if your wearing riding boots.
                      Frozen water bottles plus a ball cap & some shades and a lot really depends on weather. Bike lock or helmet lock too. You could always swing by my place as i'm not that far out of the way!
                      Good ideas here. Never thought of music. That would make it much more enjoyable for sure. Gotta get on that soon as I leave in a week and a half for this adventure. Where abouts are ya? Maybe PM me you contact info, and I will call or text you when I'm near. Maybe meet up for a coffee.
                      Last edited by MotorBikeMike; 06-20-2016, 09:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Noise cancelling earbuds are a big help, they act like earplugs to cut the wind noise and of course make it easier to hear the music compared to the older hard plastic earphones. a cheap $20 set of sony's from the source is what i use.

                        Something to clean your visor with, dollarstore micro fibre cloths are great. the phone number and maybe addresses of any bike shops in the area, "just in case"

                        if your wearing a 2 pc, or even normal cloths hit a walmart and get a set of their knock off under armor long john style bottoms, they are awesome!!! a shirt to go with it isn't a bad idea either. helps wick the sweat away and makes getting out of your gear much easier on a hot day.

                        Personally I don't bother with taking parts, some basic tools and rain gear but that's about it.

                        if you have a decent gps that can import maps and routes look into "tyre" it's a free route planning program, you can plot a route on your computer, convert it and upload it to a gps.
                        Kyle

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          - A GPS with a list of the local gas stations
                          - First Aid kit
                          - A bottle of water
                          - Some snack (like 1-2 sandwiches or a few candy bars for energy)
                          - Tire Repair Kit

                          And make sure you do the chain/oil checkups before you set off

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            For a day trip I wouldn't pack much more than some rain gear and a couple of bottles of water. It's if I'm going to be beyond the range of wife/friends and my truck that I'll think about carrying some tools.

                            For my Triumph I carry stuff I'm not sure everyone will have, like the 46mm socket for my rear wheel
                            -Steve


                            sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              So many great ideas here. So much support. Thanks to all that has helped me with my list of things to pack. Went out and replaced my Ipod Shuffle. For some reason the original one I had doesn't turn on anymore. So bought another one. The good thing about the little iPod Shuffle device is that it has a really good quality made clip to attach it to the end of the sleeve on my riding jacket. It will be easy to use during riding. I'm so stoked about this trip. Hopefully its problem free

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X