X

Touring Setup

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touring Setup

I am planning a 4-5 day trip this June and was trying to figure out storage. I already had a tank bag and soft bags but needed something for larger capacity. I found that Cabela's makes an ATV rack bag that looks like it should keep any water out when I end up in rain. The ATV bag runs $120 but I found it on sale for $59.
    What do you think?
    Attached Files

looks like a modern version of a pack mule. should be able to carry what you need. I was thinking about a mini cargo trailer for extended trips.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Pretty cool set up. I would like that if I didn't need to 2-up with my girl on back.

Did you make those hand protectors or order them? I've never seen ones that are meant for katana's and those actually look half way decent.
      - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

That bag looks huge

I would suggest getting out for a day and riding with that rig to see if you need to make any adjustments to it.

My general issue with anything on the tail is that it seems to slide forward a but which can get cumbersome at times.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by rottenpixies View Post
          Pretty cool set up. I would like that if I didn't need to 2-up with my girl on back.

Did you make those hand protectors or order them? I've never seen ones that are meant for katana's and those actually look half way decent.
          Atv foam handguards from cabelas for $6.00 and made aluminum guards so they do not push against my fingers. Search handguards and you will see pics.

Originally posted by steves View Post
          That bag looks huge

I would suggest getting out for a day and riding with that rig to see if you need to make any adjustments to it.

My general issue with anything on the tail is that it seems to slide forward a but which can get cumbersome at times.
          The bag has six straps to hold it in place. It is as wide as the saddlebags are without them being expanded out. At the time of the pic there was a tent and sleeping bag in it to help it hold its shape. I will be doing some test rides with it packed like it will be for the trip to work out any issues. My wife wants nothing to do with the bike so I do not have to worry about only having room for one.
          Last edited by rschlegel; 02-24-2014, 09:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Personally I'd ditch the rear bag, although I suppose for a 4-5 day trip I'd be packing considerably light comparable to others.

Suggest you look into the ways to fold clothes VERY efficiently -- you'd be surprised how much space you can save.

Obviously consider a bigger backpack or one if you haven't already. Mesmerizing how much I can fit in my Swiss Gear one.

As for an actual touring setup, suggest you carry around a thermos or other larger metal container to have as a reserve fuel tank. I've seen this work to great success amongst alot of the more experienced tourers as an emergency reserve. I'd suggest getting some of those chemical hand warmers to throw in your gloves just in-case, I doubt you'll need them with those hand guards but surely you could find space and the weight would be negligible.

Perhaps it just looks a bit weird in the pics but I'd take a look at that chain slack.
            - Purplehaze
            All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Originally posted by Purplehaze View Post
              Personally I'd ditch the rear bag, although I suppose for a 4-5 day trip I'd be packing considerably light comparable to others.

Suggest you look into the ways to fold clothes VERY efficiently -- you'd be surprised how much space you can save.

Obviously consider a bigger backpack or one if you haven't already. Mesmerizing how much I can fit in my Swiss Gear one.

As for an actual touring setup, suggest you carry around a thermos or other larger metal container to have as a reserve fuel tank. I've seen this work to great success amongst alot of the more experienced tourers as an emergency reserve. I'd suggest getting some of those chemical hand warmers to throw in your gloves just in-case, I doubt you'll need them with those hand guards but surely you could find space and the weight would be negligible.

Perhaps it just looks a bit weird in the pics but I'd take a look at that chain slack.
              The weather here in Colorado changes often and sometimes to extremes so I am trying to keep everything I will need dry in the tail bag. I am hoping to get a sleeping bag that does not take up most of the space but those get expensive real fast. Other dry bags that would be large enough for sleeping bag and clothes would be more expensive and then I would be strapping on multiple bags. I will be making multiple test rides to check out what will work. I am sure that I will pack too much worrying about the weather changes. I have been in 100 degree temps in Denver and then snowed on later that day in the mountains.
              Does the chain look tight or loose to you? I looked at the pics and I would guess tight. I adjusted the chain slack not long ago but will need to check again. I will probably need to replace the chain and sprockets before summer.
              Thanks for the input.

Comment

I have a medium motofizz bag that I tour with, not quite as big but it's nice sometimes to not have to worry so much about space.

Speaking of space... [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Space-Bag-Saver-Set/dp/B00BEBXH5O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1393333679&sr=8-3&keywords=space+bag+travel"]space bags [/ame]are awesome for packing clothes...
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by rschlegel View Post
                  Does the chain look tight or loose to you? I looked at the pics and I would guess tight. I adjusted the chain slack not long ago but will need to check again. I will probably need to replace the chain and sprockets before summer.
                  Slack would be for looseness. It looks a bit loose to me but that may just be the angles -- suppose it's always good touring practice to check all fluid levels and tolerances before taking off though.
                  - Purplehaze
                  All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

I have Rapid Transit Recon 77 Saddlebags. I only put them on if I go away for a weekend or the wife wants to go to some event that puts us late into the night with cool evenings for a change of clothes. They are a bigger bag, but i like how the come off easy to bring them inside.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X