X

Top box/ luggage rack design needed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top box/ luggage rack design needed

So after commuting for 4 years on my Kat with soft saddle bags, I'd like to upgrade to a lockable topbox. I've read all the post concerning this topic and I see my options are slim and expensive. I have a buddy that builds fire trucks and has access to all the tools and materials needed to build a luggage rack but I need some sorta blue print to give him so that it can be fabricated. Does anyone have drawn up plans with measurements and pictures? Thanks guys.

Here's one option:

Stop into this area for all things touring related. Get all the info. you need
    on how to prepare for long rides and tours. Whether you're a true iron butt
    or a beginner to long rides, this is where you want to be.

No plans as I made it as I went. Note my comment that it would be better (stronger and lighter) if made from tube, but with my limited tool access, RHS was my best option. If your mate has all the good gear (pipe bender, MIG/TIG etc.) and some fabrication experience, this is an easy weekend project over a few beers.

In it's latest incarnation, the rack carried in excess of 40kg (90lb) over 2500kms (1600 miles) and 6 days of sometimes potholed and unsealed roads with absolutely no issues.

Last edited by TRPUT; 08-09-2013, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Damn TRPUT, you are ready to haul some stuff!!!

Comment

Yep - hopefully enough for some seriously extended touring. My theory:

Side cases hold "destination supplies" (clothes, toiletries, coffee, breakfast supplies etc.). They are therefore quite consistently heavy, so that weight is low and forward and I don't access them during the day.

Top box is relatively light (preferred being high and rearward) and holds easily accessible daily supplies (drinks, snacks, wet weather gear, cap, gloves ...) but has enough space to lock my helmet away if I want to park and explore.

The bottom of the tool box is for "dirty" stuff (chain lube, tyre repair kit, pump, fuel additive, bike cover etc.) while the upper tray holds tyre gauge, ear plugs, charging cords, visor wipes, torch, disposable gloves, cable ties, gaffer tape etc.

It's a system that works well for me. Just wish I could fit my espresso machine somewhere.

Comment

I was going to start a thread asking about saddle bags but than I saw this. I am looking for some saddle bags that work with the kat. My main this is I'm trying to find a set that allows for someone to be able to still comfortably ride on the back. A lot of the ones I'm seeing online looks like it flaps over the passenger seat making, which I don't think would be comfortable or safe for my passenger.
          - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Working...
          X