X

Fall weather in Tellico Plains and at Deals Gap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall weather in Tellico Plains and at Deals Gap

I'm planning a trip this fall to ride the Skyway and The Dragon 10/18/13, and was just curious to what the weather is usually like there that time of year? I'm hoping to see the color change that I've seen in many photos which look amazing! I'm really excited for the ride down and just wanted to see if any of you all know what I can expect. Thanks in advance for the info!
    "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."
    1 Corinthians 10:31
    sigpic

It gets cold in the higher elevations, and the hunting seasons are open in the mountains for the local hunters.

You run the risk of ice and snow that early in the fall as well.

Otherwise it's pretty depopulated, but the roads are just as good. A lot of the local services which are seasonal are closed this time of year (CROT for example).
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

It's pretty rare to see ice/snow in mid Oct except in the very highest elevation points. Most roads your going to ride won't hit those expect possibly the BRP and that still pretty low chance. It's generally very end Oct for exceptions, mostly in 2nd week of Nov that we start seeing that.

Avg temps are going to be mid 60s for the day, mid-low 40s at night at most riding elevations. Daytime riding is really enjoyable, dusk-dark cools off fast. Expect higher elevation points you ride through to be colder by 10-20 degrees. Specifically... over the tops of the BRP points between Cherokee and Asheville (elevation hits around 6k feet) and over the top most points of the skyway. Lower elevations near the towns and such will be warmish and nice.

Rain/sunshine... hit or miss and simply could be either. Much less chance of storms though, so when it is rain... it's most of the day.

There is actually a lot of traffic mid Oct, just different from what CROT sees... leaf peepers are here, as you mentioned wanting to see yourself. Oct is the busiest and highest price time of my year (manage a hotel) and our weekend rates go for about 3X most other times of the year. The BRP will be absolutely packed (for the road that is) that time of year. I see ALOT of touring and cruiser bikes... not so many sport bikes except locals.

Overall it's great riding weather, just pack for a wide range of temps all in 1 day. It isn't uncommon for you to start out the morning at 40, riding around mid day at 70ish, and then back down to 40s by sunset. I generally wear my leathers and have the insulated insert + and additional sweatshirt in the tank bag. Layers go on and come off as the temps change mostly depending on time of day.

Main traveled points will be busy... expect to see a lot of people near Bryson/Cherokee, on the BRP and Skyway, 441 between Cherokee and Gatlinburg... and anywhere near Asheville. Also primary roads to the smaller towns... like 64 will be pretty packed with slow going traffic from Brevard through highlands and franklin areas.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        It's pretty rare to see ice/snow in mid Oct except in the very highest elevation points. Most roads your going to ride won't hit those expect possibly the BRP and that still pretty low chance. It's generally very end Oct for exceptions, mostly in 2nd week of Nov that we start seeing that.

I think the Cherohola was snowed in 3rd week in october this past year

Also the local hunters.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
          I think the Cherohola was snowed in 3rd week in october this past year

Also the local hunters.

Actually, pretty sure the first snow on the Skyway in 2011 was around Oct 27... it dusted the trees, road was clear... 2012 was around Oct 30th for 2" at the top elevations...

Both were only for over elevations of 3k.

Most every other road around here besides the parkway and skyway are below 3k feet.

I personally have never parked my bike due to weather before mid November...

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I think I was down there 2 years ago mid to late October and it great, the deals Gap area was getting a bit of rain but I managed to skirt most of it. When the sun was out it was great, on the cool side but still enjoyable, Climbing the blue ridge parkway out of Cherokee on the way home was chilly until I stopped and threw a long sleeve shirt on under my leathers lol.

Oh yeah and camping in Oct, a summer weight sleeping bag doesn't cut it, Bbbbbrrrrrr.
            Kyle

Comment

Thanks for all your input fellas, I'll make sure to bring a variety gear for this trip. Really looking forward to it!
              "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."
              1 Corinthians 10:31
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X