X

Corbin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corbin

Just found out my new job is about 300 yards from the Corbin factory. I knew it was in the same town, but not THAT close. I know where I'll be buying an early Xmas present to me
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

I just put a corbin on my Kat 2 weeks ago, Still not sure if I like it or not.
    2002 750 Kat
    2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
    2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
    2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
    1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
    2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Takes a little to get used to but you sure feel better on the long rides.......no more butt pains.....
      sigpic
      98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
      Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

I heard some like em and some don't, I don't own yet, atleast not yet due to the money but . I have done 200-240ish miles in a day, and my bum is a little sore, but not bad. The one trip I had a backpack on, I shoulda straped it to the back seat, but my back hurt more than anything, lesson learned there. But other than that I do ok with stock seat.

Comment

As i'm a little heavy I find that an hour is enough and 2 will result in a break to allow the numbness to wear off
          I'm outa here

Comment

I have found that it definitely takes some getting used to. I'm fairly tall, with a 36" inseam. I raised the rear of my bike and with the stock seat, could still flat foot it easily with inches to spare. With the Corbin, I can still do so, but don't have any room to spare, and the width of the seat is very noticeable when putting my feet down. The one thing I don't like about it is how far back the Corbin moves the seating position to. I don't sit all the way back, but when accelerating quickly, I will slide back in the seat if I don't try to actively counter that. That is my biggest complaint. I think it's easier to ride aggressively with the stock seat. When I did my last track day, I swapped in the stock seat. That said, even with the dislikes I find the Corbin to be comfortable enough that I still choose it over the stock seat for nearly all my normal riding.

The problem I had with the stock seat is that after an hour or so, I would sink in and my hip/sit bones would essentially be riding on the plastic seat pan, and it would hurt. Maybe it's my weight .vs my size. With the Corbin, that doesn't happen. The seat feels very firm, and as a result, going over bumps makes the Corbin feel very hard, like it doesn't have any give. But that's only when going over bumps. I can sit in that seat all day, and never have any issues for sitting that long.

Sorry for the long post, just thought I'd try to be comprehensive about why I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by ygolohcysp View Post
              The problem I had with the stock seat is that after an hour or so, I would sink in and my hip/sit bones would essentially be riding on the plastic seat pan, and it would hurt. Maybe it's my weight .vs my size. With the Corbin, that doesn't happen. The seat feels very firm, and as a result, going over bumps makes the Corbin feel very hard, like it doesn't have any give. But that's only when going over bumps. I can sit in that seat all day, and never have any issues for sitting that long.
              http://diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php has lots of info on they whys and ergos of motorcycle seats and why the stock seats cause so much discomfort on most bikes.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

hey guys, quick question for you with a corbin.

i see all the comments about comfort and width, but i wanted to know if it lowered your center of gravity??

their website claims just that, that it gets you sitting lower into the bike, is this true? am i misunderstanding what that means?

i just feel like i am sitting on top of my kat, and not "in it" as much as i would like, would this seat help?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dunpeal1337 View Post
                  hey guys, quick question for you with a corbin.

i see all the comments about comfort and width, but i wanted to know if it lowered your center of gravity??

their website claims just that, that it gets you sitting lower into the bike, is this true? am i misunderstanding what that means?

i just feel like i am sitting on top of my kat, and not "in it" as much as i would like, would this seat help?

thanks
                  Yeah... the difference is going to be like an inch or so max. I personally doubt that your really going to notice that "lower center of gravity" when riding. Especially since the seat design is not very ergonomic for when you need that... high speed curve carving. Getting over off the seat a bit and proper positioning would give you a lot more than staying in the seat...

If it was a bigger help, I am positive that would be a commonly talked about modification to the sport bikes. Shaving the seat and lowering your seating position... instead, most sport bikes as you get newer and newer the seat height seems to go up and up.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    Yeah... the difference is going to be like an inch or so max. I personally doubt that your really going to notice that "lower center of gravity" when riding. Especially since the seat design is not very ergonomic for when you need that... high speed curve carving. Getting over off the seat a bit and proper positioning would give you a lot more than staying in the seat...

If it was a bigger help, I am positive that would be a commonly talked about modification to the sport bikes. Shaving the seat and lowering your seating position... instead, most sport bikes as you get newer and newer the seat height seems to go up and up.

Krey
                    I'm sure you've seen the physics explanation of why this is. The higher the COG the farther the bike can lean over and maintain appropriate forces to the ground. From what I gathered anyway.
                    First motorcycle - new project
                    1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

The Corbin Gunfighter on my Z-Rex is absolutely awesome. Super comfortable on long(500+ mile) hauls and seems to hold up well. Only wear on mine is bottom by the knees, same as with any other seat.

Comment

Originally posted by dano68 View Post
                        I just put a corbin on my Kat 2 weeks ago, Still not sure if I like it or not.
                        That was my experience with a Corbin too. It changes the ride but I'm not sure an upgrades pair of pants wouldn't have done the same.
                        =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Finally got one! Well, about a month ago now. Bought it from a member on here actually. Which is slightly ironic - he lives in the east coast and I work 1/4 mile from the factory in CA. Anyways - I'm loving it. Definitely took a little getting used to, but I commute 100 miles a day on my Kat. Makes a nice difference for the daily riding. As has been stated by others, not so sure how it would work for more aggressive riding, the stock seat might work better. Haven't had a chance to test that out yet. But since 95+% of my riding is that commute, it's really a nice little upgrade for me.
                          1998 Katana 750
                          1992 Katana 1100
                          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I feel the Corbin is a bit lower than the stock and a lot better on mid to longer riding.

It is wider but for me the trade off is worth what I get from the more comfortable ride.
                            sigpic
                            98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
                            Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

it isn't something I immediately loved. most new owners have mixed emotions. it took several 300 mile range rides to make me a believer. I honestly don't know if it is a matter of getting "broke-in" or just an acquired taste.
                              the shape: slightly lower and wider
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X