Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

scenic route from Tennessee to Michigan?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scenic route from Tennessee to Michigan?

At the end of May a few friends and I are heading down to deals gap again, however this will be a two week trip. We will be riding down PA thru the mountains heading to Front Royal Virginia. Ride the skyline and blue ridge parkways to deals gap. Then tour the tri state areas for a few days before heading back

We are looking for a nice scenic fun routes north to Michigan where we will cross at the Sault...
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
    At the end of May a few friends and I are heading down to deals gap again, however this will be a two week trip. We will be riding down PA thru the mountains heading to Front Royal Virginia. Ride the skyline and blue ridge parkways to deals gap. Then tour the tri state areas for a few days before heading back

We are looking for a nice scenic fun routes north to Michigan where we will cross at the Sault...

Just a heads up... the rains over the past 4-5 days has dropped in excess of 14" of water in that same time frame in parts of WNC near Robbinsville. Several massive land slides have occurred causing long term closures of several of the roads your going to want to be riding in the area. As of right now, 441 through Smokey Mtn Forest and the Skyway have some serious repairs that need to happen.

Just thought I would mention you may want to plan accordingly...

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Tim is spot on about the landslides, which are only likely to get worse. Make sure to double check your route with local info...

As for the route through Western PA, hopefully Woobie will show up to provide some help, but I think most of the Canadians usually slab it to the Blue Ridge.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

HD, make sure you hit me up when you're in the tri-states, especially, if you're rolling through NYC.

Krey, so the roads in that area will be down for the spring time????
        -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by professa_riddler View Post
          HD, make sure you hit me up when you're in the tri-states, especially, if you're rolling through NYC.

Krey, so the roads in that area will be down for the spring time????

I don't have any clue on repair times but... the pics and vids so far show some pretty serious section repairs needed.

441 section is probably the worst...

Section on the skyway...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fWch2IyD0Y"]Landslide on the N.C. 143 in Western North Carolina - YouTube[/ame]

Many other smaller slides have been reported on in the area that may be resolved in a very short period of time. As of right now, most of the Blue Ridge Parkway is closed to traffic anyways due to winter weather which is normal for this time of year. There may be no issues there, but there have been problem areas before. It's never a bad idea to keep up with BRP closures and issues as that road can get closed at the drop of a hat.

That said... there are ALOT of other places to ride in the area so it wouldn't be a wasted trip by any means. You just want to be aware and do a bit of research as not all roads may be fully open.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The last time this happened a few years ago, they were able to complete most of the stabilization and get the roads open by late June. That doesn't mean it'll happen again though....
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Wow, thanks for the info...I guess I need to do a little research here and there.
              -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info !
                we are by no means in any rush. if we have to detour around , that sounds fun too.
                he goal is to put miles on the bikes and good times with friends.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

Comment

The last few years I've took US219 down then the lower half of the BRP, then reverse for the ride home. Honestly though get 30 minutes south of the border and most non highways are fun on a bike lol.

As for heading up through Michigan way I've got nothing, the few times in the past we've taken that way we slabbed it.

You could always try looping some roads together from here http://www.motorcycleroads.us/
                  Kyle

Comment

I can help ya with a bunch of great routes down through PA but after that I'm lost.

One of my regular riding buddies was just asking about the annual bike trip and I was trying figure out a good place to go.
                    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                    2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                    1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                    1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

use google maps it will take you threw every little butt hole of a town
                      My wife used it for a trip to Charlottesville Virginia and it was brutal
                      I bought a road atlas for the trip home
                      It was a good reason to purchase a GPS
                      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

HD...... what's your route after you cross at the Sault? I grew up there. Heading to Manitoulin Island and the ferry are pretty cool, and you get to rest for a bit.

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
                        I can help ya with a bunch of great routes down through PA but after that I'm lost.

One of my regular riding buddies was just asking about the annual bike trip and I was trying figure out a good place to go.
                        I did the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Is. last summer......there's some great roads out that way...especially through Vermont and New Hampshire
                        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                        ------------------------------------------
                        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                          HD...... what's your route after you cross at the Sault? I grew up there. Heading to Manitoulin Island and the ferry are pretty cool, and you get to rest for a bit.
                          Ill be heading to Muskoka, probably just rip down 17 then jet odd and twist around a few of the backroads along the lakeshore to sudbury and parry sound, then jet down 518 to or 141 to Huntsville.
                          Thats my ol stopin grounds up there. I rode every hiway, backroad, fire road, railway bed and snowmobile from French River to Port Syndney. I worked for clearing and maintenace and was an OFSC trail warden for 5 years.
                          Ill do the Manitoulin run again at sometime this year.
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Working...
                          X