Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

What is good for a 7 hour ride and 4 day stay?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is good for a 7 hour ride and 4 day stay?

Need a good bag to drag my stuff in to a conference in Kansas City. Im riding from Sioux Falls SD and the ride will take 6-7 hoursish. I ordered a zero gravity touring windshield (which will stay on all the time, i do lots of highway) but am in need of a bag or a good way to secure a regular backpack/duffle bag to the bike. Any suggestions?

I'd suggest some soft saddlebags. They keep the weight nice and low and should hold everything you need and then some.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

soft luggage. I have expandable Fieldsheer luggage. easily removable.
      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

The Icon tank bag/back pack is what I use on my daily rides.

6-7 hours is nothing. hell i ride that every weekend in the summer.
        often 9-12 hours.
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Got nothing to do with the 7 hour ride. That's recreation. It's got everything to do with having to haul 4 days worth of clothes.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I used soft bags on my Katana 1100 when that was my bike for touring, but you know, I got a better idea for you-
            When I traveled, I also had one of the long narrow duffle bags with the wheels on the bottom, got it at Walmart.
            I'd load up my soft chase harper bags, but that duffel bag held a hell of a lot more stuff than the two soft bags. I'd bungee cord it to the seat (where a passenger would sit) and it actually gave me a little bit of back support. I would lay it perpendicular on the seat, worked great.
            I now travel on 'C14 with built hard luggage (with soft luggage liners) and a large trunk on the back, easy peasy, but I tell you what, nothing says touring badass like a an old Katana with soft bags and a duffel bag bungee corded to the seat (and I also had a tank bag!).

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
              ...nothing says touring badass like a an old Katana with soft bags and a duffel bag bungee corded to the seat (and I also had a tank bag!).
              So what does an '80 GS450 with the same luggage say? (It was me and the duffel was a green, canvas one I was issued in Basic. Denver to Houston and then back up to Wichita Falls. Oof!)

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Ya, I realize 7 hours isnt alot, but were staying for 4 days and will be bringing junk back im sure. Ill check out some soft bags and I suppose bungeeing a duffle bag would be nice as far as a little back support, and the use of colored bungees.

Comment

It's not that 7 hours isn't a lot of riding. It's just that it really doesn't matter if it's 1 hour or 7. You still don't want to do it with a backpack. After that, it's just a matter of making sure you've got enough carrying capacity to hold what you need to bring. I'd suggest bringing a duffel and bungees inside the saddlebags so you've got a way to bring back whatever you're expecting to acquire.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                    So what does an '80 GS450 with the same luggage say? (It was me and the duffel was a green, canvas one I was issued in Basic. Denver to Houston and then back up to Wichita Falls. Oof!)
                    I think it says that you are poor!
                    Here's my favorite, the couple who spent a couple of years going around the world on a CX500:
                    Please recheck the URL for the proper spelling. Or use our search box at the top of this page to find what you're looking for.

Comment

One of the guys posted about his set of Xelement saddlebags available for $50 -- I have a really nice set of soft luggage tailored for the kat that ran me a bit more, but it's all about what you want to spend and how much you want to carry - i got 2x 19L bags and carry a small jansport backpack with smaller incidental items i might need to carry with me - and since my leathers don't have pockets, that's my wallet, other keys and phone.

I still haven't gotten a tankbag. I might get a small one for my phone or a nav or map or something, though.
                      Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
                      Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
                      2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
                        I think it says that you are poor!...
                        I was an E-3 at the time and that was my only vehicle. Yeah, not much money.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

If you're planning on getting some stuff there, you could always just ship it back home.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Working...
                          X