Trailer tie down

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer tie down

First Post... Here goes.

It's pretty much a 6-7 month riding season up here in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

Gives you a lot of time during the winter months to mess around in the shop... think about riding... and planning some trips.

I built a wheel chock for the bike that bolts into my trailer... I intend to trailer her to the Rockies .. And tour the Kootany Mountains in B.C. for two weeks in early September. (I know, I know, trailering might not cut it for some people.. but... the prairies are pretty boring, and I know I'll have my hands full "Running the Rockies".)

Frt_Wheel_Brkt.jpg

Frt_Wheel_Brkt1.jpg

Frt_Wheel_Brkt2.jpg

cool man.
    You get out riding yet in this awesome spring weather?

The Kootenays are a nice ride. I also HIGHLY suggest heading up into northern BC. To another prairie rider, the road from Prince George to Ft. St. John is absolutely amazing to ride!

Stop into this area for all things touring related. Get all the info. you need
    on how to prepare for long rides and tours. Whether you're a true iron butt
    or a beginner to long rides, this is where you want to be.

(P.S. Ride her all the way out west! Only takes one long day of riding!)

Comment

There's something sorta meditative about riding a long boring stretch on your way to somewhere. It leaves you free to think about stuff.

OTOH, trailering isn't a bad way to go if you're just in it for the good times.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

nice build
        I would bracefrom your tiedown point back to the rocker shoe to prevent any bowing but I tend to over build
        I brought my Bandit home on a MX trailer last winter
        It makes life so much easier with the chock and tie down points

Dont forget a ramp
        The one for my brother inlaws trailer is as long as the bed of the trailer to make it easier for one person loading
        It is made from U channel with a pin to hook on to the back of the trailer so it doesnt come off while loading
        It also has a couple holes in the U that matches up with pins on the deck of the trailer to secure it for traveling
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Trailer tire down

Thanks for the positive feedback.

No worries about bending anything... The front arms bolt to the trailer frame.
          My straps will hook up under the faring to the forks... I'm thinking of making some plastic spacers to prevent to forks from collapsing. ( Good idea..?? Bad idea..???)

Feeling good with myself... I've also made a frame that attaches to the front wheel support. Add some casters and now and now I can move the bike around in the shop.

TANA_UP.jpg

TANA_UP1.jpg

Tana_UP2.jpg

Tana_UP22.jpg

Tana_UP111.jpg

As far as riding ... Took my 500 out for a "rip" on Sunday... But parked it... Too much sand.

Comment

That's a nice rig. How stable is the bike on it?

As for tie down, strap the front wheel to the stand and tie down the rear. that should do you although I usually put a couple straps to the lower triple tree anyway for insurance. I've started using the non-ratcheting straps for that. It's pretty hard to bottom out the forks with those. A friend of mine who tows for a living swears by the wheel chock and Canyon Dancers to stabilize the front end. He throws a strap over the frame in back, too just to keep it from jumping around.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Trailer Tire Down

The wide spread of the front wheel bracket makes it very stable.
              All of the casters swivel so it moves very easy on the shop floor. I have sat on the bike a number of times while measuring up the brackets that I am building to mount my saddle bags on the bike.

The rear chain and wheel are close... I can't run the bike on the stand and do any rear drive maintenance. ( I'll mod the rear supports to make more clearance next winter.)

I made a stand for my 500 out of an old exercise tread mill that my mother-in-law through out. I can service everything on the 500 including running the engine and rear drive.

Apr_d_09.JPG

Jan25_9985.JPG

Comment

Well you need a stand for that thing. It's got no wheels!

The one thing I wonder about your stand (the one you've got the Kat on) is how you get it on the rear stand. It looks like your fairing would be in the way. I'd love to see a video of you putting the bike on it.
                Last edited by Wild-Bill; 03-21-2012, 08:31 PM.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                X