X

RKA Soft Saddlebags on Kat 19L - pics & review

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RKA Soft Saddlebags on Kat 19L - pics & review

So I recently ordered a set of soft 19L Saddlebags from RKA Luggage (http://www.rka-luggage.com/) . I got the set for $254.99 shipped, grand total.

I found RKA when I found pics of their saddlebags on a Kat in a vintage advert. They were still in business and the owners have had several and still own a Kat.

I wanted saddlebags that kept the rear passenger footpegs open, bags that matched the color scheme of the Kat and didn't look wonky.

Here's what my set looks like installed, along with the pics of the mini rear fender I put together (bike had been shovel chopped already) using a Bell license plate mounting bracket and two $5.49 Blazer 3-LED clearance lamps from Wal-Mart. All in all, not bad.

At $254-ish shipped, it definitely is cheaper than Givi and the bags are really well made and IMO compliment the Kat.

I've already been out 2-up on the Kat since I installed the bags Saturday.

I liked that they were made in the USA and the customer service from Rich was outstanding.

That's it for my bags, LMK what you think.
    Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
    Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
    2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

$250 for soft bags?
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Have you looked at what Givi charges?

Cost aside, what do you think?
      Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
      Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
      2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Comment

Originally posted by black&blue View Post
        Have you looked at what Givi charges?

Cost aside, what do you think?
        They look just as good as my $70 fieldsheers did.

I mean, soft bags are soft bags.

They do look nice, I just cant believe the cost, are they kevlar or something?
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

They feel like quality canvas, and have hard lining on the inside with expandable outers. If i remember right the Fieldsheers are out of production, or so I'd read here. The fieldsheers also are black. Color/aesthetics and the ability to retain 2-up were the primary concerns I was after when shopping, and I had these made in Navy blue with silver to suit the bike. The next closest thing I was considering was significantly more than these.

I agree they're not the cheapest thing, but for what I wanted from them the price wasn't awful.

The girlfriend wouldve killed me for buying $400 bags for a $500 bike, lol.
          Last edited by black&blue; 03-13-2012, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X