X

under grip heaters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• under grip heaters

i just got a set of uder grip heaters for my bike cus i plan on riding all winter, but i took the throttle grip off and the throttle tube has a bunch of bumps all around it and the sticky heater pad wont be able to be used.. anyone know a way to use them? also which wire do i splice into for the power? i know for honda the pink wire is for accesories. is it the same for suzuki? or do most people just run a wire from the battery?
    Last edited by boomer_95; 12-15-2011, 07:22 PM.
    if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

just tape it to the throttle tube. On my snowmobiles I used aluminum foil duct tape.

it usually does not matter the polarity with the wiring . just like a light bulb.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

alright cool thanks.

its not the polarity i was wondering about... i wanted to know were the accesorie wire was on the key switch? i dont want to drain my battery cus my memory is retardedly bad lol

Comment

I ran mine direct off the battery, fused and used a relay to make sure it shut off when the bike was off

I would have thought in Napanee your riding season was long over
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

nope it was like plus 10 and raining today... got snow once so far and didnt stay long lol..

dont you still have to hook the relay up to the ignition somehow tho? ive hooked this kit up a houndred times on honda fourwheelers but i just splice into the pink accesorie wire that comes out of the switch so im not sure how to hook it to my bike and still have a good battery lol

Comment

For the relay trigger you can use any switched hot wire. There should be a tan wire up front, on the right side that will work fine or you can splice into just about anything else so long as it goes hot when the ignition is on and goes dead when you switch the ignition off. If you want to help out your ignition while you're at it, use the orange/white wire going to the coils to trigger the grip warmer relay as well as one for the ignition, taking power to the coils straight from the battery.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Oh...... yep use a relay and power it directly off the battery with the taillight wire as your switched source of power or for anyone with a post Kat the 3rd light up front will work
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Not to change the subject away from relays, but for those who've been installing extras, where did you put your switch? I hate the idea of drilling my dash or fairing so I'm thinking of building a bracket but the 1100 doesn't give you a lot of options on where to put that.

Ideas?
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                  Not to change the subject away from relays, but for those who've been installing extras, where did you put your switch? I hate the idea of drilling my dash or fairing so I'm thinking of building a bracket but the 1100 doesn't give you a lot of options on where to put that.

Ideas?

I'm mouning my relays to the frame using the bolt holes already there for the CA emisions (all frames have them). It directly under the gas tank just above where the coils mount.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I mounted the relay with a wire tie , using the tab on the relay

here is a wiring diagram to use a relay , you can use any relay they will have the terminals labeled with the same numbers

Unless you bought a deluxe set of grips that part of the diagram will be a little different
                    just get your + and - in the same place on the relay

I connect "85" to the running light circuit

The Warm & Safe Heated Clothing is made to be light, thin and body fitting. Not just for motorcycling but now with our advance 7.4V Heat Layer clothing, you can be warm in all situations. Our Heat-troller, heated clothing controller, you control the level of heat from nothing to 100%. Heat where you need it.
                    Last edited by rexazz2; 12-17-2011, 08:01 AM.
                    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I wired my relay by the powerbox under the seat. Just took the powermeter, and measured untill i found the right cable, and used a cable shoe designed for the job (it scales about 1mm of the plastic on the cable, and pushes it's contact surface down on the cable)
                      The switch for the grip heaters is placed on a bracket on the bolt for the clutch lever.
                      2004 gsxf 750.
                      "A beer never comes alone"

Comment

one of my fairings has a random hole in it just below the handle bars so im just gonna make it bigger and put the switch there lol... and im not gonna use a relay. just gonna put an inline fuse and wire it to an accesorie somehow.. just looked at the wiring diagram and looks like orange is the accesorie wire that comes out of the ignition switch. so insted of running a s**t load of wire to the battery il just splice into that

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                        just tape it to the throttle tube. On my snowmobiles I used aluminum foil duct tape.
                        i just thought would that not damage the heaters? cus the bumps on the tube look pretty big and sharp. along with the pressure from the grips and your hands?
                        Last edited by boomer_95; 12-17-2011, 09:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I just installed some under grip heaters on the Busa last week and I'm really enjoying them! I also pulled the trigger on some First Gear heated gloves and they are great as well! I used to have the actual heated grips but found I couldn't use my Throttlemeister because of the hard casing, IMO the under grip heaters I just installed seem to actually get warmer than the grips that cost more!
                          Initially I found that the right side would get much warmer faster than the left side; following some advice from a member of another forum I wrapped the left side bar with some electrical tape before installing the heater and it really helped! The toggle is for the grips and the knob is for the gloves...
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

Current bike: 2007 Hayabusa

Comment

i just installed mine this afternoon.. took only an hour to do so and they work AWESOME!!! even through my thick snowmobile gloves i can feel the heat real good. so i might even be able to bring my summer gloves back out

Also I was right in that the orange wire that comes out of the ignition switch is for accesories. on and off with the key and no extra wiring to the battery or the need for a relay (with my kit anyways).

for the "bumps" on the throttle, i just cut them off with a knike so they wont break the heater pads or make the grip look bulky/funny

Originally posted by PADEROLIS View Post
                            I just installed some under grip heaters on the Busa last week and I'm really enjoying them! I also pulled the trigger on some First Gear heated gloves and they are great as well! I used to have the actual heated grips but found I couldn't use my Throttlemeister because of the hard casing, IMO the under grip heaters I just installed seem to actually get warmer than the grips that cost more!
                            Initially I found that the right side would get much warmer faster than the left side; following some advice from a member of another forum I wrapped the left side bar with some electrical tape before installing the heater and it really helped! The toggle is for the grips and the knob is for the gloves...
                            thats were i put my switch also... right under the left handle bar on the fairing
                            Last edited by boomer_95; 12-19-2011, 01:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Nice! Glad it's working for you; they really do make a difference!
                              sigpic

Current bike: 2007 Hayabusa

Comment

Working...
                              X