Help with Long rides....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mcssls View Post
    Best one to take first? Aleve liquigels
    +1.... and maybe a 20 minute break every two or three hours. (That usually means I have to gas up anyway just to be safe...... nothing worse than having the dummy light come on and having to pray there's a gas station ahead on a rainy night...... don't ask me how I know.)
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Have you done the risers ? Love to see what you did

Originally posted by karma13 View Post
      So I just took a trip around superior and did 2800 km which is about 1800 miles. Absolutely amazing 5 days! My KAT ran perfect and couldn't ask for anything better. My back never got stiff....my neck was fine....my wrists were semi saved by throttle lock (risers would have been on but brake line was a little too short....soon to come) however my knees got extremely painful at about the 150-200 mile mark during the day. Getting off the bike and stretching would do the trick but pain came back in about 40 miles.....standing up would help for a few. Almost wish there was an attatchment to place forward pegs to stretch feet for awhile during the ride.......these exist? I know its funny to ask for a sports bike.....thought it was worth a try as they are common on adventure touring like vstrom and gs.......

Comment

My knees are normally fine, it's my a$$ that starts going numb. I've read so many people saying how great the seat is, but mine is terrible. About 45 minutes into a ride and I'm ready to get off the bike.

Comment

My buddy made brackets for his 86 Gsxr that relocated his foot begs, shifter and brake a little farther back. He says it made a hue difference in comfert on longer rides.
          I usual just stand up on my pegs for a min or two when on longer rides to get the blood moving. I only stop when i need to refuel the bike.
          ----USMC combat vet----
          07 Yamaha r6s & 93 Kat streetfighter project

Comment

Originally posted by karma13 View Post
            I know its funny to ask for a sports bike.....thought it was worth a try as they are common on adventure touring like vstrom and gs.......
            I ran a '96 GS for a loooong *** time. Know what the secret is? Your physical fitness. NOT highway pegs.

The fat old codgers in our BMW Club called me a liar when I told them about my touring days, over a duration of 10-15 days in the US Rockies and then back to the Midwest. Beacause they are fat old codgers.(poseurs)

Here's your regimen to work up to:

15 mile warm-up on stationary bike-I do it in 45 minutes.

Run 2 miles on tread mill.

Do circuit training (nautilus or free weights) that balances out upper body VS. lower body. Push your self with light weights to start with, doing repetitions instead of heavy weight.

Diet: on the road keep it light. Oatmeal for breakfast, fruit/veg/water all day, lots of protein for dinner. (There's very little protein in Gin/Tonics)

I've settled into a KTM 950 for big dirt bikin. The Kats ARE touring machines. Work out and put yourself there.

Comment

Working...
            X