X

When Is A Ride Too Long?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisInTexas View Post
    I will be heading East from Dallas-Fort Worth through Shreveport, Louisiana and ???
    Where are you in Texas?

Originally posted by Psycho1 View Post
    If you really plan to take a 10 day trip, I think you owe it to yourself to make a trip to Deals Gap, NC. It would be an easy 3 day ride each way, leaving you a couple days to check out many of the great riding roads in NC, along with possibly meeting up with some of the NC/SC/GA KR members.

I was comfortable up to around 800 or so miles/day on my cross country ride. 2 1100 mile days were too much for me when I kept my speed within 5mph of the posted speed limits, mainly because I started trying tofall asleep around the 18 hour mark. "IF" I could have picked up the pace considerably without receiving any "awards", 1000+ miles/day would have been a piece of cake..
    You can make it to Deals Gap in a day. You can not however stay within 5mph of the limit... We rode it from my house there in 2 days, and back in 1 for the 2009 Rally.

JHILDE
    Last edited by JHILDE; 01-09-2011, 06:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Damn you Nicole, We will not speak of the 2012 Rally

Comment

Originally posted by JHILDE View Post
      Where are you in Texas?

You can make it to Deals Gap in a day. You can not however stay within 5mph of the limit... We rode it from my house there in 2 days, and back in 1 for the 2009 Rally.

JHILDE
      True, I was just thinking if he wanted to take it slow and easy, stopping somewhere in Louisiana for the 1'st night, then maybe in Atlanta or Chattanooga, TN for the 2nd night. He mentioned leaving from Dalls/FW in the op.
      John,
      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
      sigpic

Comment

95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
        Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
        ---
        I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

Where are you in Texas?

JHILDE
          And we didn't start very early that morning back in 09.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

A ride is too long once you no longer feel like riding.
            "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho1 View Post
              True, I was just thinking if he wanted to take it slow and easy, stopping somewhere in Louisiana for the 1'st night, then maybe in Atlanta or Chattanooga, TN for the 2nd night. He mentioned leaving from Dalls/FW in the op.
              Prob be easier to take I-30 to Little Rock, then I-40 up through Nashville. It would be easier not to get lost. It is literally 4 turns after you get on I-30 in Dallas to the houses. The ride from Chattanooga to the houses is awesome for scenery though.

Originally posted by zuma View Post
              And we didn't start very early that morning back in 09.
              Hey, I resemble that remark. We had important stuff to do, Breakfast.

On the way home Van and I left at the Skyway gas station at 9a Eastern and I pulled into my garage 11p Central IIRC and I had to stop and wait on a storm for a few near Texarkana.
              Damn you Nicole, We will not speak of the 2012 Rally

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
                It is too long when you stop enjoying it.
                much agreed. i had too many of these days last summer.
                the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
                # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
                [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Prob be easier to take I-30 to Little Rock, then I-40 up through Nashville. It would be easier not to get lost. It is literally 4 turns after you get on I-30 in Dallas to the houses. The ride from Chattanooga to the houses is awesome for scenery though.

Hey, I resemble that remark. We had important stuff to do, Breakfast.

On the way home Van and I left at the Skyway gas station at 9a Eastern and I pulled into my garage 11p Central IIRC and I had to stop and wait on a storm for a few near Texarkana.
                  And when you were home, I had over 500 miles to go...what a trip, bro.

Comment

i don't understand the idea of too long of a ride...if it weren't for my riding buddies or passengers... i'd never stop. (aside from food sleep restrooms photos and destinations of course.)

once i get to the destination. i have a hard time turning around and heading home.... i don't like to head back home. the further i get from here the more my adventurous heart beats.
                    then again i have no wife or kids to come back to. so the world is my playground.
                    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                    Tony
                    94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                      i don't understand the idea of too long of a ride...if it weren't for my riding buddies or passengers... i'd never stop. (aside from food sleep restrooms photos and destinations of course.)

once i get to the destination. i have a hard time turning around and heading home.... i don't like to head back home. the further i get from here the more my adventurous heart beats.
                      then again i have no wife or kids to come back to. so the world is my playground.
                      You've summed up the motorcycle experience in a dozen words.

Comment

You both missed "vroooooom"!
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                          You both missed "vroooooom"!
                          ^does not compute...
                          Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                          Tony
                          94 Katana 600

Comment

You know, "vroooom", that sound the bike makes in your soul every time you twist the throttle. It's your inner child cheering!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

ohh... that sound... i've never seen it expressed in words before... "vrooom" doesn't seem to do it justice.... more like if peace had a sound... that's what it would sound like.
                              maybe silence .... or maybe a combination of many many things vibrating together to make an amazing sound.

especially when you take a corner you love and you nail the entry apex and exit. when your "in it" and can "feel it".

it's like being on stage and knowing that your drummer is keeping perfect time and your bassist is rolling loud and proud, the guitarists are in the zone feeling every note at the exact perfect time and the vocals are soul shaking and perfect. the crowd can feel it. you can feel it. the rest of the band can feel it. your band mates look at you with a " this is why we do this look on their face."

nothing feels better.... except for doing those things while simultaneously reaching climax during the best sex of your life....
                              but good luck doing that..
                              Tony
                              94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                                ...more like if peace had a sound... that's what it would sound like.
                                maybe silence ....
                                Says a man who's never had a V-4 bike with a V&H Supersport pipe!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                                X