No announcement yet.
X

VA to FL trip. Looking for support on the way

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent a cargo van with no rear seats. When Breeze's truck had issues in 2006 he rented a cargo van from enterprise and we moved TWO bikes in it. You'll need something to use as a ramp for loading and unloaded, and don't tell the rental agent that's what you are planning to do with it.

What's going to cost you, is the ONE WAY part. It might be cheaper to drive it up and back. It's only like what, 18 hours one way?
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      Rent a cargo van with no rear seats. When Breeze's truck had issues in 2006 he rented a cargo van from enterprise and we moved TWO bikes in it. You'll need something to use as a ramp for loading and unloaded, and don't tell the rental agent that's what you are planning to do with it.

What's going to cost you, is the ONE WAY part. It might be cheaper to drive it up and back. It's only like what, 18 hours one way?
      13 ish hours. No I wouldn't mention moving a bike with it.
      I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
      -Unholy m-
      Current project: Un-Katchable
      sigpic

Comment

You could do it in two days if you had an accomplis... i mean help.
        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I loaded my Kat in a mini-van... The front tire was in between the front seats but other than that it was a smooth setup. The bike is longer than I woulda guessed but it worked.

That being said I think the ride could be fun. I ride 30 miles to work(Oregon: coldest morning this year was 20f) and my current gear setup is: astar st5 pants, a thick astar leather jacket, thin fleece, t-shirt, fleece neck band that goes from under my jacket to over my chin, astar gore-tex gloves, danner gore-tex boots. I was looking at an off brand of hippo hands because my hands start to feel the cold by the time I get to work. Other than the gloves I stay pretty comfortable. I feel like I could make that journey as is but would get hippo hands to complete my comfort.

The key for me is draft; If you seal where pants meet jacket and jacket meets helmet your fine. I have a cortech that would be good but there is a draft at the top pouring freezing air down my jacket.

And if you get lost and see a welcome to Oregon sign hit me up...
          Attached Files
          95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
          Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
          ---
          I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

This is a Dodge Grand Caravan that the rental company has. Maybe the bike could go diagonally?
            I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
            -Unholy m-
            sigpic

Comment

Not sure if there are any anchor points inside there that I'd trust to hold a bike. You might be better off just finding a co-worker/friend that has a mini truck or pickup to make the trip with you.
              John,
              '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
              sigpic

Comment

I know some Enterprises have full size vans and trucks, if you could work a deal with unlimited mileage, that would be best. A Uhaul is going to kill you on mileage at $20/day+$0.69/mile+3.00/gallon. A Uhaul trailer is another reasonable price option if you have something to tote it behind.
                Pics
                Pics
                No pics yet
                Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                  I know some Enterprises have full size vans and trucks, if you could work a deal with unlimited mileage, that would be best. A Uhaul is going to kill you on mileage at $20/day+$0.69/mile+3.00/gallon. A Uhaul trailer is another reasonable price option if you have something to tote it behind.
                  I can't find a uhaul place that will let me have there smallest box truck for under $800. And NO ONE has a truck. The Van I found for $130 for 4 days was the best I could do. I'll have to move the bench seats.
                  -Unholy m-
                  sigpic

Comment

Enterprise doesn't rent the vans from the same location as the passenger cars.

Alternately: http://www.uship.com/
                    Last edited by steves; 12-07-2010, 09:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I'm not saying you shouldn't ride it home, I'm just saying be realistic on what to expect. If You've never ridden a bike at 30F, realize that it's nothing like riding at 50, or even 40.
                      Pics
                      Pics
                      No pics yet
                      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I've ridden in England during the winter. I would definitely dress in layers, get warm gloves and probably electric heated vest and gloves. But my dad seriously doesn't want me to ride the bike.

I kinda just want to do it. Even if it was unbearably cold and told myself I would never do anything like that again. At least then, I could say I did it. My dads worried about frostbite and me stopping for gas at a gas station and being frozen solid, unable to move and fall over. I dunno.

It's too late now though. I've booked the flight for Sunday the 12th and the DMV isn't open that day. So even if I wanted to ride it home, it wouldn't be legal. The van has been booked. Just have to make sure Chris (ctandc) has a ramp.
                        -Unholy m-
                        sigpic

Comment

With the van, if there's no ramp available, the rear should be low enough to lift it in if you can find 1 or 2 more people to help lift. 2 people lift the front tire in, one person climbs in the van and holds the brake until the other moves to the back to help the 3rd person lift, release the brake and let it roll in , and hold it upright until tied down. Shouldn't be very tough, not like it'd have to be lifted as high as it would going into a lifted 4x4 bed.
                          John,
                          '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                          sigpic

Comment

Whike you are in MLB give me a call. I live in Palm Bay
                            478 714 8189
                            ...peaking from under a sleeping bag..."Hi, I'm Zuma"

I'm already in a club but we have Bombers, Fighters and Big Friggin Guns!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgreer23 View Post
                              It's too late now though. I've booked the flight for Sunday the 12th and the DMV isn't open that day. So even if I wanted to ride it home, it wouldn't be legal.
                              When buying a vehicle from Virginia, or being a Virginia resident and buying a vehicle out of state you can purchase a trip permit. http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...emp_permit.asp
                              Pics
                              Pics
                              No pics yet

Comment

I'm in Jacksonville, fl if you need a break. Active duty Navy here. If I didn't put my number in my profile, then just PM me.
                                "Courage is not reckless abandon, or bravery in the absence of fear. It is the knowledge of fear, the wisdom to know the costs of failure, the prudence to minimize those costs, and, in so doing, courage is the mastery of fear. Courage without fear is lunacy."

Comment

Working...
                                X