No announcement yet.
X

48 States 10 Days

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is one thing have not really looked into yet, tire plugs. Do you guys put plugs in and keep rolling or is there a mileage limit to put on them?

What would I ever use a spanner wrench for on the road, on the Kat at least?

I need to get new hardware for my fairings, its got random bolts from my garage that fit. My method works but looks funny and leaves me with weird sockets to take my fairings off. I was thinking of getting those quick pins like race bikes use or try to get bolts that all take metric allens to take off.
    95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
    ---
    I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      The dynaplug has a brass insert on the inside, and you can use multiples if it's a big hole But hopefully I'll never need it.
      The Nealey kit ties a knot on the inside of the tire so that you effectively get a plug and patch from the outside, also no rubber cement to dry out. Use as many as you need.
      Pics
      Pics
      No pics yet
      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Normally, you plug a tire and limp towards the nearest place you can get a new sneaker. I won't start the discussion on whether or not to replace a plugged tire, or to ride it bald. It ultimately depends on the location of the puncture, the severity, and your own tolerance for risk.

Remember that when you get home, whatever tire you've got on will probably be smoked anyway.

This was my last tire, when I pulled into the driveway from about 1500 miles of touring

It had around 6k total miles, and was the second trip that it had been on. Notice the balling up on the edges and the giant flat spot in the middle.

If I had a puncture on THAT tire within a day of home, I'd have likely plugged it and moved on.
        Last edited by steves; 12-02-2010, 12:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
          I'm carrying DynaPlugs right now because they do not require any cement. Traditional tire plugs require the use of a plug, and cement... and the cement can dry out in the tube. Of course, every gas station I've ever been to carries plug kits in the store.

I would also consider the Stop n Go which is a mushroom plug

My tool problem is related to the fact that my mentors ride 30 year old air heads I suppose
          Cool. Thanks for the info.
          -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
          sigpic

Comment

Not to start up another "to plug or not to plug, that is the question" thing, I do plug and ride on and forget about it. However, I don't find myself anywhere near unforgiving twisties or uncalm road conditions here. All I have to worry about is the occasional wild hog or the odd chupacabra.
            grrrrrrrrrrrr!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

I definitely am going to have to get a kit... I pay for the "tire insurance" at cycle gear, I wonder what they would say to a plugged tire? If I'm all alone in the middle of the country somewhere that's the best option with no other options being close to as good.
              Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
              ---

Comment

Originally posted by niqbales View Post
                So I was lookin at some of the IBA challenges and I think it would be awesome to do 48 states in 10 days. I'm thinking spring/summer 2013 to give time to prep and do some smaller(one 800 miles each way, one 2600) trips to know what to expect. I have found routes that are just over 7000 miles but heard it can be done in 6300. Anyone know of a route? I'd like to officially start and end on the west coast but I'm open to ideas. Also lookin for ride mates and places to stay while in route...
                Originally posted by thetable View Post
                First day is easy, after that is where stuff starts getting worse. If I were doing it, I would do my mileage like this (Figuring 7k):
                300 + Sleep and Laundry

Front load the mileage as much as possible. A 700 mile day isn't that big a deal until you are on the 10th one in a row.

For a ride like this I'd shoot for a Spring take-off. Table has got a good mileage plan. It's best to do your big mileage stretches early in the trip while you're fresh. The other reason for a Spring start is you're on the Left Coast. All morning riding will be done with the sun rising in your face. Believe me, at 10am 50º feels a lot better than 98º. Unless you plan on doing a lot of night riding that will wear you out very quickly.
                sigpic

Comment

10 day?! why!? i don't even think 3 months is long enough to explore america!
                  Last edited by il_ragazzo; 12-29-2010, 02:29 AM.
                  Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                  Tony
                  94 Katana 600

Comment

I don't see 1200 miles in one day as being feasible. You would have to average 50mph for 24 hours straight to make that goal. That's no stops for traffic, food, gas, or physical relief. If your Kat gets 200 miles per tank, that's still 6 required stops. And figure 15 mins per stop you've burned up an hour and a half.

Then you're still planning on making 1000 miles in the next 24 hours?

But if you want to try, go ahead. Just make sure you get some goat weed at one of the truck stops.

Even still, touring the country on a Kat would be fun, no matter if you try to take 10 days or 10 weeks and I wish you luck
                    Last edited by JimG4652; 12-29-2010, 12:01 PM.
                    02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
                    90 GSXR 750/1216
                    96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
                    87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JimG4652 View Post
                      I don't see 1200 miles in one day as being feasible. You would have to average 50mph for 24 hours straight to make that goal. That's no stops for traffic, food, gas, or physical relief. If your Kat gets 200 miles per tank, that's still 6 required stops. And figure 15 mins per stop you've burned up an hour and a half.
                      If you want to put on the miles, you are going to have to average much better than 50. Moving averaging of 70 is pretty much the minimum goal you need to set, overall average of 60+ is where you will be far more comfortable, and that is not an unreasonable expectation. That gives you a chance for a 4 hour nap before hitting the road again. If you can't pull that off then 48 states in 10 days, is probably not a game you should be playing.

Planning stops is important. Gas stop shouldn't take more than 10 minutes, and that is getting off the bike and doing some stretching. Food stops about the same. If I'm trying to really put some miles in, I'll stop a little more often to keep the blood flowing. Half way between fuel stops, I'll stop for a snack and water, lots of water! It's much easier to keep everything loose than it is to recover from getting tight. Big meals will slow you down, both time wise, and body wise.
                      Pics
                      Pics
                      No pics yet
                      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Moving averaging of 70 is pretty much the minimum goal you need to set, overall average of 60+ is where you will be far more comfortable, and that is not an unreasonable expectation. That gives you a chance for a 4 hour nap before hitting the road again. If you can't pull that off then 48 states in 10 days, is probably not a game you should be playing.
                        20 hrs
                        17 hrs
                        13 hrs
                        10 hrs
                        10 hrs
                        5 hrs
                        13 hrs
                        10 hrs
                        10 hrs
                        8 hrs

That's saddle time (with nothing going fubar), and averaging 60 mph.

Certainly not my kind of fun, I'd rather see the country, but to each his own.
                        93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

If you want to put on the miles, you are going to have to average much better than 50. Moving averaging of 70 is pretty much the minimum goal you need to set, overall average of 60+ is where you will be far more comfortable, and that is not an unreasonable expectation. That gives you a chance for a 4 hour nap before hitting the road again. If you can't pull that off then 48 states in 10 days, is probably not a game you should be playing.

Planning stops is important. Gas stop shouldn't take more than 10 minutes, and that is getting off the bike and doing some stretching. Food stops about the same. If I'm trying to really put some miles in, I'll stop a little more often to keep the blood flowing. Half way between fuel stops, I'll stop for a snack and water, lots of water! It's much easier to keep everything loose than it is to recover from getting tight. Big meals will slow you down, both time wise, and body wise.
                          I was thinking 70 as an average with a goal of 80 average, this includes places where I can do 90 for stretches. I am gonna have to be on a mission at gas stations... I will probably a lot for 15 minutes as to give myself a little slack but try for 10. If I know me I will set attainable goals each day and get even further ahead then planned in the beginning. I like to do the hard stuff first.

" Half way between fuel stops, I'll stop for a snack and water, lots of water! It's much easier to keep everything loose than it is to recover from getting tight. Big meals will slow you down, both time wise, and body wise."

This is good info! It will make me plan it this way... I'm planning some rides to work out some of the kinks but if I'm goin through a field of land mines I'm following the steps before me.

Originally posted by Steveb View Post
                          20 hrs
                          17 hrs
                          13 hrs
                          10 hrs
                          10 hrs
                          5 hrs
                          13 hrs
                          10 hrs
                          10 hrs
                          8 hrs

That's saddle time (with nothing going fubar), and averaging 60 mph.

Certainly not my kind of fun, I'd rather see the country, but to each his own.
                          I can not yet imagine 20 hours in the saddle! Hopefully I get to my mileage goal early the first couple days! ...Or every day for that matter!
                          Last edited by niqbales; 12-30-2010, 12:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          ---

Comment

When I did my cross country ride in 09, I found 700-800 mile days were fairy comfortable for me. I could cover those days leaving right around sunrise, and finish usualy within an hour after sunset. I kept my pace within 5mph of the posted speed limits most of the entire trip.

On 2 days, I covered 1100 miles which took me 19 hours each time. First one was on hwy20 from The Colony,TX-Ft Stewart, GA, seond one was from The Colony, TX-Phoenix, AZ taking hwy 20-hwy10. On my GSX-R I stopped every 130-140 miles most of the time for gas since that was around when my low fuel light normally comes on. Stops were limited to just long enough to top off the tank, smoke a cig, and take a few swigs of classic coke. The worst part about riding at night is when it gets cold (night time in early spring or late fall). I actually fell asleep sometime around the 17 1/2 hour mark on my 2nd long stretch in (middle of nowhere) NM approaching the AZ border, and woke up (startled) on the outer edge of Tuscon. Temps had dipped below 32 degrees when I rode up into the mountains and high altitude desert, so hypothermia most likely played a big part in my fatigue.

Make sure you have a big tank bag to lay down against to relieve strain on your back and arms, and a good comfy seat set up for touring. My stock pre Kat seat sucks after 300 miles on straight highways, or after 400 miles worth of twisties, I couldn't imagine trying to over 700-800 miles per day for 10 days straight without improving it a bit.

I would recommend routing aross hwy 40 for at least part of your trip, since that would allow you to jump north and south a short distance to just touch a lot of different states without having to spend too much time in just one. TX alone can take almost 2 days to ride across if you take hwy 10-20. Better off just touching somewhere along the furthest north tip if at all possible.

Wish I still lived in OR, and could make this trip with you. A long as you plan your route and pace yourself comfortably, it should be an epi ride that you'll remember for the rest of your life. Personally I would try to make a trip like this in the summer when the daylight hours are the longest. It might be a little hot in the southern states, but managable if you time your stages to avoid stop and go rush hour traffic in big cities, and the warmer weather in the north should allow you to pack lighter weight clothes.
                            Last edited by Psycho1; 12-30-2010, 03:55 PM.
                            John,
                            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho1 View Post
                              When I did my cross country ride in 09, I found 700-800 mile days were fairy comfortable for me. I could cover those days leaving right around sunrise, and finish usualy within an hour after sunset. I kept my pace within 5mph of the posted speed limits most of the entire trip. On 2 days, I covered 1100 miles which took me 19 hours each time. First one was on hwy20 from The Colony,TX-Ft Stewart, GA, seond one was from The Colony, TX-Phoenix, AZ taking hwy 20-hwy10. On my GSX-R I stopped every 130-140 miles most of the time for gas since that was around when my low fuel light normally comes on. Stops were limited to just long enough to top off the tank, smoke a cig, and take a few swigs of classic coke. The worst part about riding at night is when it gets cold (night time in early spring or late fall). I actually fell asleep sometime around the 17 1/2 hour mark on my 2nd long stretch in (middle of nowhere) NM approaching the AZ border, and woke up (startled) on the outer edge of Tuscon. Temps had dipped below 32 degrees when I rode up into the mountains and high altitude desert, so hypothermia most likely played a big part in my fatigue. Make sure you have a big tank bag to lay down against to relieve strain on your back and arms, and a good comfy seat set up for touring. My stock pre Kat seat sucks after 300 miles on straight highways, or after 400 miles worth of twisties, I couldn't imagine trying to over 700-800 miles per day for 10 days straight without improving it a bit. Wish I still lived in OR and could afford to make this trip with you, as long as you pace yourself comfortably it should be an epic ride and something you'll remember for the rest of your life. I would recommend routing aross hwy 40 for at least part of your trip, sine that would allow you to jump north and south a short distance to just touch a lot of different states without having to spend too much time in just one. TX alone can take almost 2 days to ride across if you take hwy 10-20. Better off just touching somewhere along the furthest north tip if at all possible.
                              Most people don't see it this way, KatRiders has given me more support than most people. My wife knows me and it wasn't huge surprise when I told her the idea so shes cool and wants to get me a gps that people can track my trip on the internet(Spot is the brand I think). I have considered changing it to a a cross country trip but with my limited time I can't do it the way I'd want so I picked the Iron Butt that looked coolest to me...

I need to make a list out of all the advice I've received because you don't think about a lot of this stuff till you suffer a little bit...
                              ---

Comment

Originally posted by JimG4652 View Post
                                I don't see 1200 miles in one day as being feasible.
                                It's feasible depending how you do it. If it's early in the trip it can be done, no sweat, but you have to be prepared for the aftermath. Amarillo has always been my stopping point of the first day's ride, usually 17 - 17.5 hours, and since I've only done it in the summer heat I'm only good for one day of that a week. Two days in a row would be kinda dangerous for me.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X