Hard luggage ideas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard luggage ideas

Just fishing around for ideas here.

Original Krauser bags are getting pretty hard to find and Givi ain't cheap. There's some generic (ugly) side cases out there and then there's the option of mounting Pelican cases or military surplus ammo boxes but that looks pretty makeshift and really heavy.

Has anyone tried mounting cases from an old Goldwing or something like that? What sort of options are out there for something that doesn't make the Kat look like a rolling junkyard or weigh more than the contents?
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

I was looking for hard luggage as well. I decided to go with a trunk, because I didn't want to make the bike any wider (small garage). I personally went with an OEM Suzuki Katana luggage rack (60 bucks off ebay, and rather hard to find), and the el cheapo JC Whitney trunk (60 bucks as well). The OEM luggage rack needed to be modified because it's load limit recommendation is only 5 lbs. All in all I only spent about $140 plus shipping, but it required quite a bit of searching and fabrication. On the other hand, the Givi luggage rack is very sturdy, and includes all the hardware you'd need (no muss no fuss). The cool thing about the JC Whitney trunk is that it uses Givi's mounting system, so it'll just snap right on.

I haven't been able to find another OEM rack, but i found the Givi rack here;

and here's the trunk:

Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends
    2006 GSX600F

Comment

Originally posted by deathbyfryingpan View Post
      I was looking for hard luggage as well. I decided to go with a trunk, because I didn't want to make the bike any wider (small garage). I personally went with an OEM Suzuki Katana luggage rack (60 bucks off ebay, and rather hard to find), and the el cheapo JC Whitney trunk (60 bucks as well). The OEM luggage rack needed to be modified because it's load limit recommendation is only 5 lbs. All in all I only spent about $140 plus shipping, but it required quite a bit of searching and fabrication. On the other hand, the Givi luggage rack is very sturdy, and includes all the hardware you'd need (no muss no fuss). The cool thing about the JC Whitney trunk is that it uses Givi's mounting system, so it'll just snap right on.

I haven't been able to find another OEM rack, but i found the Givi rack here;

and here's the trunk:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/motorcycle-.../p2010969.jcwx
      I might have to add something like this... I'm building a hard bag rack for the sides so it wouldn't be tough to add some square tubing to rap around back....
      95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
      Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
      ---
      I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

I hate the way a top-case and rack looks. Too moped-ish. I have thought about mounting a pair of those trunks on the sides, though. Trick to getting the bike into the garage is quick-release attachment points. Pull her in tight and pull the bags off.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

No ideas on hard luggage but I love my Nelson-Rigg soft bags!
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
          Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
          R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
          1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
          RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
          3BBB turn signal mirrors,
          Black painted seat and rear trim,
          Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

I've got Chase-Harper soft bags now. They're almost 20 years old and still going strong. Because of that, I'm not in any rush to replace them but it's something I keep looking at every once in a while.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.
              Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Pretty cruiser-looking although if that's what you're into... They don't list mounts for anything that's not a cruiser so that'd leave us building our own. Ideally, I'd like to find something fat enough to stash a helmet.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                  Pretty cruiser-looking although if that's what you're into... They don't list mounts for anything that's not a cruiser so that'd leave us building our own. Ideally, I'd like to find something fat enough to stash a helmet.
                  looked a VFR with luggage , didnt think I would ever use it because of the looks
                  Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

It is really hard to find the original Krause bags these days. A lot of sites offering through the internet also have limited stocks. I used the trunk as well for my Katana. I felt it looks better than the side bags, but I found some cool Krauser bags in krauser.de. I think you can try ordering from them if you like any. I like the Givi too; they got the best bags and trunks. Givi accessories are awesome. You can fit the Goldwing cases in your Kat with some minor adjustments. I have tried that once successfully.
                    dump trailers

Comment

Have you tried with www.twistedthrottle.com and go with sw motech they have a nice side rack systeme that can be taken off .

Comment

If your set on the hard bags its up to you I would recommend soft bags.

I have a friend with a VFR and went from the hard bags to soft... not only lighter amd smaller when not stuffed but but your able to get more use out of the soft bags and actually get more in them when you have to.
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I didn't see any mention about Shad, they have nice hard cases and racks for a Kat. I am giving thought to purchasing a set. Here is a URL for a 2005 Kat: http://www.shad.es/en/shad-usa/produ...4mod27mot1484/
                          "Emini's are the future"

Comment

the shad setup is pretty nice for the money. the red colored insert for the side cases match almost perfectly with my maroon 2000 750. I will say that the rack set up (the "full master" seems like it's intended to have the full side case and trunk set up to make it more structurally sound. I opted to ask my mechanic if he had any scrap 1/4" aluminum and to cut it to size...then rattle canned it black to match the rest of the rack. Shad is based in spain but their US distributor is in miami. I like them.
                            "Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death and as sweet as love."

Comment

They are some good looking bags. Not too big but they look big enough to be useful. Pity I'm putting my 750 up for sale in the spring, now that I've got an 1100. (Don't see an 1100 setup listed.)

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                              X