X

New guy wants to tour

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy wants to tour

A neighbor of mine has a for sale sign on a red, big-displacement Kat (1000 or 1100, I suppose). It looks pristine and has a bit of custom chrome on some engine parts. It doesn't have a fairing.
    I have a few questions: What's the model designation for the unfaired bike? Given that it's red, can anyone guess what model year it might be? Assuming it runs well, what's a fair offering price? Finally, does anyone make decent hard luggage for this bike? My wife and I would like to tour on it. Thank you.

Honestly, dude. That's not much of a description. You might ask your neighbor what it is and what year it is. Then Google it and search by image. Find the image and put it here. At that point there are people among us who can tell you anything you want to know. Nice having you here though.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Had a quick check with the owner. It's a 1982 Katana EX, with 17,600 miles.
      Unfortunately, he put a Vance & Hines exhaust on it, but says he still has the original (I hate long rides on noisy bikes). Rear tire's pretty shot. Previous owner, a short woman, cut down the front part of the saddle, but it didn't feel uncomfortable, despite being tall, I wear a short inseam.
      Currently not hitting on one cylinder, so I couldn't ride it. Says he figures it's the coil and is working on it.
      My wife liked the big passenger seat, but I don't see any way to mount a backrest.
      He's asking $2,000 US, which sounds steep to me. Does this information help any? Thanks.

Comment

Try seeing if he would take 1500 or so first. I checked blue book and it said any where from 1450-2100. I don't think corbin makes a seat with a backrest for that bike, but you might be able to make your own, I think atleast one person on here has done that.

Comment

Is it a bike like this? I don't think you stated the engine size. Suzukirider09 is right about the $1500 offer you could make. Concerning a sissy bar though, you might be able to incorporate a tail bag into the works and have that as a backrest for your wife. Givi sells a hard tail bag that might work in that manner, but if you go with that and their side bags, and the mounting brackets, you're going to spend over $1200. However, a soft tail bag and soft side luggage could work, making sure you had room for your wife's legs.

Whether it would be okay for touring is more or less up to you. If the bike has 80 or more horsepower, in my opinion, it would probably work. If you go to totalmotorcycle.com you can plug in the model and year and it will probably have the bike listed with a great deal of information to help you decide if you want it. Hope I've been of some help to you.
          Last edited by zuma; 09-05-2010, 02:41 PM.

Comment

The bike I'm looking at resembles your photo, but without the fairing. That's fine by me, since the little racing-style fairings are of little use to a big guy like me. I like having an uncluttered handlebar so I can mount a taller Plexifairing and sit up straight. But bodywork aside, yeah the mechanicals are identical.

Comment

I believe it will have well over 80 hp (Mojoe, who is all about these is sitting there laughing at his Texas friend here), but if you can get the cc's from the guy you can also go to bikerz.com and find more about it, I think.
              I apologize but totalmotorcycle.com won't help you (I second checked). I'll check it now. $1500 does sound about right, but if you like it, $1900 maybe...Chime in here Mike! ha...
              Last edited by zuma; 09-05-2010, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Yes, I failed to mention above that it is the 1100cc version. If factory claims are to be believed, it makes well over 80 hp. Factory spec is about 135 hp. I realize the factories measure hp at the crank, not the rear wheel, but I think I can safely assume that this bike makes far more power than I need for casual touring with my wife.
                I live in northern Indiana, in the US, where the roads are wide and flat. It's also a bit of a political backwater, where most riders sneer at any brand other than Harley. The prejudice against Asian bikes is remarkable, and almost certainly lowers the resale value of the bike. If he can get the thing running, I'll offer $1,200, tops. He's been trying to sell it for a very long time. I appreciate everyone's help.'
                One further question: Are there any special weak spots I ought to be aware of before agreeing to buy this thing? Anything that is especially likely to be worn out at 17,000 miles?
                I'm unemployed and simply can't afford to make this a major project. I've already figured I'll need a new rear tire, a handlebar fairing and some sort of luggage. Given the cylinder miss, are coils a weak spot on this bike? I know coil upgrades are widely available for bikes of this era. Maybe I should simply figure on replacing the coils and spark wires immediately.

Comment

I'm a beginner when it comes to mechanical advice, but there are those here who have remarkable skills and knowledge in that area. They will likely chime in when the holidays are over. However, in a deal like that, I've been told to check the rubber and replace the fluids where necessary.
                  And there's more.

If he doesn't sell it to you running right, I don't think I'd do it, unless you're mechanically inclined with a shop to work in. Trying to fix an older model and keep it running can nickel and dime you to death. If you can fix it yourself, you might offer him half the asking price, and have him pay for the new back tire...and probably throw in a new front one too. This may seem unreasonable, but it's something to think about.

Luggage? Nelson Riggs makes great, affordable soft saddlebags and tail bags especially for sport touring bikes. My set has lasted for over five years and is as good as new. I hope it works out for you. The engine problem may be something as simple as a fouled spark plug. Be wary.

Comment

I wouldn't rule out the carbs needing cleaned unless he knows for sure that particular coil isn't firing. It would affect 2 cylinders, not just one if it is the coil. (unless it is just the wire)
                    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Considering the difficulty you might have finding touring luggage to fit that bke, by the time you purchase the bike, a wndshied, luggage, and some sort of luggage mounts, you might be better off in the long run just finding something like a post 98 Katana 750. At least with a post 750 luggage systems would be easier and more affordable to find. Just a thought.
                      John,
                      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                      sigpic

Comment

Luggage isn't a problem. Go with soft saddle bags and a good tankbag. They're universal enough that they'll work with just about anything as long as they don't hit the exhaust. I've got some Chase-Harper bags that've lasted me 18 years and 3 different bikes.

Luggage is a minor issue. The big one is getting the engine to run. I wouldn't pay more than about $300 unless the seller can get it running or you're SURE you know what the problem is. A lot of repair shops don't want to work on old bikes so you may be on your own there. Add the trouble finding parts for a 28 year old bike and... Finding tires to fit can also be a bit of a challenge. In the early '80s a number of bikes came with odd wheel size combinations in order to get the most out of the bike. Look up the wheel sizes and make sure you can get good quality tires in those sizes. If you don't need them right away then you know you'll need some eventually.
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

A belated thanks to Kevin. I had forgotten that four-cylinder bikes typically use two coils. As a former physics student, I have no excuse.
                          You're quite right. A bad coil would likely cause two cylinders to misfire, not one.
                          With luck it's a plug or a plug wire, which I can easily fix.
                          If it's something mechanical, like a carb, piston rings or valves, I'll pass on this bike.
                          After all, I already know I'll need new rubber and a rebuilt seat, minimum.
                          Thank you all for your help.

Comment

Your advice has persuaded me to avoid the ratty Kat I'd been looking at. I realize you're Suzuki fans, but I just bought a showroom-condition Yamaha 1993 FJR1300A. New rubber, new brakes and the wife loves the pillion. Sorry to leave the Suzuki fold, but this was a buy I couldn't pass up. Set me back $4,900, but won't need a cent in repairs or maintenance (at least for a while). Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by littlejohn View Post
                              Your advice has persuaded me to avoid the ratty Kat I'd been looking at. I realize you're Suzuki fans, but I just bought a showroom-condition Yamaha 1993 FJR1300A. New rubber, new brakes and the wife loves the pillion. Sorry to leave the Suzuki fold, but this was a buy I couldn't pass up. Set me back $4,900, but won't need a cent in repairs or maintenance (at least for a while). Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Those are SWEET bikes!
                              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
                              X