X

Shad Hard Luggage / Turn Signal Relocation

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shad Hard Luggage / Turn Signal Relocation

After a long 2 month wait (long story), I finally received the final pieces to mount my Shad SH-43 hard saddle bags. I have to say, first impressions are really good. The cases have a shelf in them to hold items and a bungee connector to prevent items from moving too much. I don't see any formal waterproofing but the seals seem pretty decent so I'll find out after the next rain ride. The rack was pretty simple to bolt on. One thing to note is the backbone for the rack and the actual piece that connects to the backbone and mounts the cases are two separate part numbers and each about $120 (a little steep imo). The cases were ~$380 shipped and the rack (total) was about $240 so it puts it still cheaper than Givi but not by much. Here are some pics of the initial set up:

And after the bags are on...

Now the issue: Turn signals. From the pictures on Shad's website, it appears as though the kit includes a new bracket for turn signals. Nope! So right now I have the turn signals mounted to the rear footpeg mount/guard going underneath the bags, like so:

Any suggestion on how or where to place the turn signals that would make it functional and look good? As I ride with the bags more I will definitely be providing updates. However, initial impressions are very good (looking past the turn signal issue).
    Last edited by kat_pilot750; 05-04-2010, 10:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death and as sweet as love."

those signals do look a little hard to see when you've got the bags on

I would suggest maybe the mini-stalks beside the license plate perhaps?

Comment

Yeah, I know. It was the only thing I could think of off the top of my head haha. The left is actually kinda visible but the right is mostly blocked by the exhaust.

Based on the dimensions, I think the mini-stalks are ~1" too long to fit. I was thinking of picking up a ] bracket from Home Depot or Lowes and making an extension to that so they mount behind the cases. Easier said than done, but we'll see.

Another option I was considering was mounting 2 LED pods on each side of the rear fairing for turn signals. It will be good for rear visibility but the cases would prevent most if not all side visibility

Comment

Here's mine. I made sure they were narrow enough that when I put luggage on in the near future, they would be out of the way. Kind of hard to tell from pics, but the are narrower than the rear fairings are at their widest point.

2000 Katana 600
        2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

these should work. and in my opinion they look great! of course ill say that cuz theyre mine! but they were 14$ on ebay.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
            Here's mine. I made sure they were narrow enough that when I put luggage on in the near future, they would be out of the way. Kind of hard to tell from pics, but the are narrower than the rear fairings are at their widest point.
            Astro, those do look pretty good. If you look at the third pic I attached u see where the backbone of the rack lines up in relation to the stock attachment holes for the turn signals. I dont know the clearance for the signals, but it's not much. Is it possible to measure the length of ur turn signals? I measured the distance from the hole to the rack and it's only ~2.75 inches.

Correction: I have a Fender Works eliminator kit. Don't know if that makes a difference in turn signal location or not.
            Last edited by kat_pilot750; 05-04-2010, 07:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Ah, yes I see now, I made my own bracket and it is further back on the tail, right inline with the key lock on the side for the seat. But since I did make it myself, if could be easily modified to drop the signals down under the "backbone" on the luggage system.
              The signals are 2 5/8" from mounting point to tip, which would give ya and 1/8" to play with and the signal stocks could be shaved as well to make them a little shorter still. Got them off Ebay, they are LED and nice and bright.
              Last edited by Astro4x4; 05-04-2010, 09:10 PM.
              2000 Katana 600
              2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Good lookin bags!
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                Black painted seat and rear trim,
                Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

SHAD bags

Where did you order your Shad cases and mount kit from? I like your set up, and since I'll probably be selling my Goldwing I want to set up my Kat with some hard bags and maybe a trunk.

Thanks
                  Karl Hyzer

2006 Suzuki Katana

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kaufmanrider View Post
                    Where did you order your Shad cases and mount kit from? I like your set up, and since I'll probably be selling my Goldwing I want to set up my Kat with some hard bags and maybe a trunk.

Thanks
                    Hey Karl,

Sorry I never got back to you via email. I found the thread that I mentioned: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...70#post2020070

Looking at how Shad decided to do their setup in comparison with Givi and Krauser, I like how Krauser incorporates the bolts/holes from the grab bar into the structure of the rack. With how expensive hard luggage is, I would definitely go with either Krauser K5s or the Shad SH-43s. Givi is definitely nice, but more money for less storage (if you want to look at it from a $/storage view). Personally, I love my Shad set up and it's fine as is, but would like it slightly better if they added that extra bit of structural integrity just for added peace of mind.

I also spoke with Shad about weight limits and they recommend no more than 10-15 lbs. I have definitely overloaded these cases and it shows in the mini screws holding in the "tray" at the bottom becoming much much looser. On a side note, each case can fit an 18 rack of coors bottles and the box fits PERFECTLY. It's like they knew...lol

Comment

Thanks for the info. I found a few places on line, both in Texas that sell Shad. I see you have the fender eliminator kit. So do I. Any issues with the install of the SHAD mount? I think the Givi and SW both have a bracket that mounts under the stock license plate bracket on the fender. Without a fender, I'd have to do some mod's to make either of them fit.

Originally posted by kat_pilot750 View Post
                      Hey Karl,

Sorry I never got back to you via email. I found the thread that I mentioned: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...70#post2020070

Looking at how Shad decided to do their setup in comparison with Givi and Krauser, I like how Krauser incorporates the bolts/holes from the grab bar into the structure of the rack. With how expensive hard luggage is, I would definitely go with either Krauser K5s or the Shad SH-43s. Givi is definitely nice, but more money for less storage (if you want to look at it from a $/storage view). Personally, I love my Shad set up and it's fine as is, but would like it slightly better if they added that extra bit of structural integrity just for added peace of mind.

I also spoke with Shad about weight limits and they recommend no more than 10-15 lbs. I have definitely overloaded these cases and it shows in the mini screws holding in the "tray" at the bottom becoming much much looser. On a side note, each case can fit an 18 rack of coors bottles and the box fits PERFECTLY. It's like they knew...lol
                      Karl Hyzer

2006 Suzuki Katana

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X