X

nice site for anyone that likes to travel

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nice site for anyone that likes to travel

I don't know if anyone knows this site or not, but its the motorcycle laws in all 50 states. You can see if its legal or not to wear a helmet, listening to ipods/mp3 players, you can see if your going to get hassled for mods, or handle bar height, etc.

Hope it helps some.

great link, thanks for posting!
    "We are not limited by our abilities. Only by our vision."

-Unknown.

1998 GSX600F Katana

All stock except paint (Hazard "school bus" orange)

sigpic

Comment

thanks. ive been wondering what the law on lane splitting was in AZ....illegal lol
      99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
      06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
      06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
      lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

Comment

That is a really cool site! Bookmarking that bad boy.

Comment

Originally posted by delkampg View Post
          thanks. ive been wondering what the law on lane splitting was in AZ....illegal lol

lol, yes lane splitting is illegal in all states unfortunately . But in California it is tolerated if done to their rules, like traffic has to be going 20mph or slower, the fastest a motorcycle is supposed to go is 35 "while doing it", and be sure to have a mini camcorder, in helmet, on bike, where ever you like, as long as it can be taping the road infront of your bike, because people will hit you, run you off the road, open doors, pretty much what ever to make you stop.

If you have them on tape, they are the ones that get the fine .

Comment

ahahahahah that sucks...
            how well, at least traffic here aint that bad yet...well sometimes but lucky me i ride away from traffic both ways

=D
            "We are not limited by our abilities. Only by our vision."

-Unknown.

1998 GSX600F Katana

All stock except paint (Hazard "school bus" orange)

sigpic

Comment

I live in Virginia, where everything's illegal and the cops will pull you over even if it's not. Easy to understand without a website.
              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Nice!! Thanks for sharing
                The supreme happiness of life is the conviction of being loved for yourself, or, more correctly, being loved in spite of yourself.
                http://myspace.com/solsticio
                www.facebook.com/solsticios

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukirider09 View Post
                  lol, yes lane splitting is illegal in all states unfortunately . But in California it is tolerated if done to their rules, like traffic has to be going 20mph or slower, the fastest a motorcycle is supposed to go is 35 "while doing it", and be sure to have a mini camcorder, in helmet, on bike, where ever you like, as long as it can be taping the road infront of your bike, because people will hit you, run you off the road, open doors, pretty much what ever to make you stop.

If you have them on tape, they are the ones that get the fine .
                  are you sure? cause i did live in missouri and always thought certain counties had a law but there was no state law, also on that site it says there is no refrence to it????
                  99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
                  06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
                  06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
                  lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

Comment

Good info

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
                      I live in Virginia, where everything's illegal and the cops will pull you over even if it's not. Easy to understand without a website.

about the same in quebec ...
                      Guylaine
                      Try and keep up now

Comment

Originally posted by delkampg View Post
                        are you sure? cause i did live in missouri and always thought certain counties had a law but there was no state law, also on that site it says there is no refrence to it????

Is lane-splitting legal?
                        Here's the text (verbatim) from the CHP's site: "Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible under California law but must done in a safe and prudent manner." The text used to also include "The motorcycle should be traveling no more than 10 mph faster than surrounding traffic (without exceeding the speed limit) and not come close enough to that traffic to cause a collision." but has since been removed. Perhaps they wanted to give cops more latitude to interpret what they thought was safe so they removed it.
                        If you lane split, avoid weaving between the two lanes and don't exceed traffic speed by more than 10 mph. The former could get you a ticket for changing lanes without signaling while the latter could get you a ticket for reckless driving.
                        Your odds of getting ticketed also increase if you lane split between the carpool and fast lane. A double yellow line divides the two lanes and those are illegal to cross (with rare exceptions that would never occur on the freeway); I know of riders who have been specifically ticketed for crossing the double yellow while lane splitting between those lanes.
                        Lane splitting on surface streets is probably not addressed in city or county laws so I would do this with caution, as individual cops will decide whether or not they like what they see. I split lanes on surface streets if I don't see any cops, but I stop immediately if I spot one.
                        There's a little bit of information on "lane sharing" in the DMV Motorcycle handbook. They say to discourage its practice, but never say it's illegal.

Related note from Chris Nowak:

I actually got some conflicting information regarding special case lane splitting though, so I decided to call the CHP. I spoke to two offices (one in LA, and one in Orange County), to try to avoid the chances that I spoke to "that one guy" who didn't know what he was talking about.

Splitting lanes between the carpool lane and the fast lane: They both said it was OK. They both advised not going over 30 mph or so (both were riders fortunately), advised safety, and warned that since there is more space in that area, there is a lot of debris that builds up over time that might cause you some trouble. They also advised that "technically" you can't cross the double yellow to get into that space, but go ahead if you're safe about it. It's really a safe way of keeping your bike moving in stopped traffic so you don't overheat.

Splitting lanes for metered entrance onto highway: It's OK, mostly. Again, the usual warnings about be safe, leave space and all. Don't worry about the signs that restrict the number of vehicles, but if there's a stop light, obey it! if one lane has a light, and the other does not (as in car pool type scenarios), go ahead and pop into the carpool side and stream through.

This is taken from the website:http://www.ducatigirl.com/california..._roulette.html.

There is lots of webpages about it, I googled: lane splitting in California. I like to travel on my bike, so I will spend hours and hours looking for laws, and double checking to make sure they are right, because rumor has it, if your an out of stater they love to harass you, lol.

Comment

"Lane Splitting Not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes"

wtf does that mean??

Comment

As a Canadian who tours through the states, that is a very helpful site, thank you

Comment

Good stuff.
                              Land of the free because of the brave

Comment

Working...
                              X