X

Road Trip #2 Ohio to Georgia!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Trip #2 Ohio to Georgia!!!

I'm preparing for my second road trip from Columbus, Oh to Atlanta, GA on Tuesday 9/9 (1120 total miles roundtrip). My first one was from Ohio to N Carolina, which was probably a bit tougher because of the mountains, inclines, declines, tunnels, toll stops, etc. This trip is pretty much a straight shot down South. I've packed the rain gear because because the forcast is calling for scattered thunderstorms down South. I've yet to experience riding in the rain, so we'll see how it goes.

I may run over to Birmingham, AL to see some family, while I'm in Atlanta as well. I'll be down that way until Sunday evening. Are there any sites or anything that I can check out that are along this route??
    [FONT=Georgia]Gonna miss you guys and gals, be safe!!

Originally posted by Catcha23 View Post
    I'm preparing for my second road trip from Columbus, Oh to Atlanta, GA on Tuesday 9/9 (1120 total miles roundtrip). My first one was from Ohio to N Carolina, which was probably a bit tougher because of the mountains, inclines, declines, tunnels, toll stops, etc. This trip is pretty much a straight shot down South. I've packed the rain gear because because the forcast is calling for scattered thunderstorms down South. I've yet to experience riding in the rain, so we'll see how it goes.

I may run over to Birmingham, AL to see some family, while I'm in Atlanta as well. I'll be down that way until Sunday evening. Are there any sites or anything that I can check out that are along this route??
    Wat you want to see? I live about 30mins from ATL Im south of it. But I can't ride with you becuz my bike is down for some heavy maint. But you can give me call. And I can tell you some nice things to do...
    sigpic
    Update Jul 11 2014
    Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

A Couple, you will be passing Beckley WV, (if your taking I-77 South through WV) , stop in at the Hooters, I did the roofing and metal work, great gals working in there and prompt service. #2, When you make it to Bluefield WV, check out East River Mountain.... somewhere like 5,500 Ft Above Sea level, spectacular view of the mountains. You will most like follow 77 south down through Wythville Va (where I work) , They have a Flying J , full of great price electronics and showers (if you should need one haha) , after that, I am not sure, but on the way back if you have time, you should go about 30miles out of your way and ride "the snake # 1 & #2" which is Big Walker Mountain (best twisties short of #2) snake #2 is Thompson valley (Frog Level) virginia, if your interested in directions, ill include correct names... some of the best curves on the east coast.

I live within 30 mins of these places, so if your interested and got a little extra time to blow, PM me and Ill give you my cell, but I can only ride after 4pm on weekdays and anytime anyday on the weekends (f-in job)

Hooters , Harper RD. Beckley West Virginia

East River Mountain - Bluefield West Virginia

Thompson Valley Va, (alt- Crab Orchard VA)

Big Walker Mountain - I77 N&S Between Wytheville Virginia and Bluefield
      Va, has old western ghost town and country store -awesome-. Also, has MotoGP style curves, its an insane route, i ride it about 1x a week and no more because i get carried away..
      Last edited by katanawarrior; 09-08-2008, 12:08 PM.
      Currently Riding:
      1995 Katana 600
      V&H Exhaust
      Jet Kit

SOLD
      2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
      1987 XV700 Bobber
      REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

If time has it that you are still in the Ga. mountains and ready to stop for the evening, head to Two Wheels Only in Suches, GA to either camp out or stay in the lodge. Great burgers, too.

Or, Amacalola Falls State Park has a great lodge, too, and wonderful view.

Get off the straight highways and ride thru the mountains of GA. and beyond- Wolf Pen Gap Road is considered the Dragon of Georgia.

Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga is a good stop, even with all the tourist-y dreck surrounding it.

PM me if you want to hang in Marietta, GA for a spell.
        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Okay, I tried to take off for my trip in the rain at night and made it as far as one exit before turning around!! I never drove in the rain before so I was being cautious not to do anything crazy. At the freeway on ramp at got her up to about 15 mph in the curve and I felt the back end slide a little....scared the heck outta me. I would have turned around right then if I could've but I decided to experience the whole riding in the rain experience before calling it quits... so I went to the first exit and made a uturn and decided to drive the big monster instead Darn rain! I was really looking forward to it to.

The pictures below is the difference between $110 in fuel and $350 in fuel round trip!!
          Attached Files
          [FONT=Georgia]Gonna miss you guys and gals, be safe!!

Comment

Sorry to hear your trip got thwarted due to rain, but to be frank, experiencing it for the first time on a long trip is not a very good idea. Glad that you had the sense to realize your limitations, and went with plan "B". The only time I have experienced "vagueness" in handling in those conditions was due to low tire pressure, or worn/poor tires. For those long distance adventures, seriously consider upgrading to either Metzler Z6's or Pirelli Diablo Strada's - both are great tires in terms of durability (got 12K on my Strada's), wet and dry traction. Also check to make sure your rear tire is properly aligned with your front, which could also cause poor handling.
            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

There will always be a next ride.
              sigpic

RIP CP
              50th Anniv R6
              95 Katana 600
              http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/index.php

Comment

what kind of seat is that, and does it help with the traveling?
                2006 Katana 750, Bumble Bee replica
                Bumblee Bee Tuna

Comment

Working...
                X