X

Highway Bumps = Air Time ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highway Bumps = Air Time ?

Everytime I hit bumps on the highway I feel the bike is having "air-time"; is that normal for the Kat given the fact that NYC has the worst highway and is full of bumps and patches....?
    sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

thats normal for any bike riding on nyc streets just tuck in and hold on hahaha the extra pounds that the kat has come in handy
    sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

I had a patch on the highway, on my way home, that had these humps across two lanes of the highway. It definitely gets your attention the first time, when you hit them at speed.
      2007 Honda CBR600rr
      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
      sigpic

Comment

I have 1 on the to work and 1 on the way home. In 2 different locations. I have found the low spots on both. I was tired of landing on the BOYS every time!
        sigpic

RIP CP
        50th Anniv R6
        95 Katana 600
        http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/index.php

Comment

The problem with some of these "BUMP" on the highway in this part of the country is that often they are on or coming out of a curve. Most of them are these temporary patches on the highway.

It scare the hell out of me the 1st time still coming out of a curve on the highway and go into a bump that gave me airtime!
          sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

right before you go over the bump stand slightly up on the pegs and let the the bike jump and you take the impact thru your knees bending.
            i work downtown dc and my ride to work must be about the same as in nyc.

Comment

Originally posted by solgerny View Post
              right before you go over the bump stand slightly up on the pegs and let the the bike jump and you take the impact thru your knees bending.

I've heard you shouldn't do this but I do it anyway. Saves my back so much greif.

Comment

Originally posted by solgerny View Post
                be cautious if and when doing this. A few years back i was riding in a group ride. We were approaching a set of train tracks and the rider just in front of me stepped up slightly too get ready for the bump. This shifted her weight forward enough that when the rear tire hit the bump it came about 8 inches off the ground and shifted about a foot to the right. let's just say that the 5 or 6 of us that were behind her were lucky that we didn't get taken out as well.

She was an instructor and taught all of her students to stand up over bumps. Not sure if she ever changed that lesson

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Suggest you stay away from Quebec....ashphalt patch capital of the world....oh and no kind "bump" warnings....ride at our own risk!
                  2004 GSX750F

Comment

Lots of construction here in NJ.I rise very slightly off the pegs and slow my speed considerably in bumpy construction areas.
                    -
                    -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Guess what, the bumpy highway issue is resolved! I installed a 1 inch handlebar riser and amazingly it gave me a much more relaxed position. That translate to better control and better center of gravity! Best mod I did for the Kat!
                      sigpic

Comment

We have the same prob here in colorado. the weather just tears up the roads and shifts them so the city just patches the cracks and pot holes really crummy. the ride home the other day i hit a dip that launched me quite a bit and as soon as i recovered there was a freaking pot hole that hadnt been filled. lost tons of air in my tires and put my shocks thru hell. always ride slow thru my town man.

Awesome about the handle bar riser!
                        RIDE TO LIVE. LIVE TO RIDE.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! It been a long time last I was in Colorado, but I always remember the weather there! Love the state and I will remember to ride slow when I rode by!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Salz07 View Post
                            I have 1 on the to work and 1 on the way home. In 2 different locations. I have found the low spots on both. I was tired of landing on the BOYS every time!

Glad to know I'm not the only one that's suffered that fate. The "twins" are definitely a concern to me, so I too tend to stand a bit on the pegs when I can actually see the hump in the road due to frost. Some roads around here are so bad I refuse to take them when out on the bike, even though it's a faster route to my destination.
                            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                            ------------------------------------------
                            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by chinto View Post
                              be cautious if and when doing this. A few years back i was riding in a group ride. We were approaching a set of train tracks and the rider just in front of me stepped up slightly too get ready for the bump. This shifted her weight forward enough that when the rear tire hit the bump it came about 8 inches off the ground and shifted about a foot to the right. let's just say that the 5 or 6 of us that were behind her were lucky that we didn't get taken out as well.

She was an instructor and taught all of her students to stand up over bumps. Not sure if she ever changed that lesson
                              most of us dirt bike riders will stand up out of habit.i feel like i have more control if it does go off track.

Comment

Working...
                              X