X

Is this tail bag safe? I'm a rookie..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this tail bag safe? I'm a rookie..

I hope you guys can help me.. I needed a tail bag that wasn't freaking expensive.. Good enough to store few books and my laptop.. I tried the backpack method but it killed my back 15 minutes into the ride.. I will be using tail bag a few times a week. It came with NO instructions.. So I did the best I could..

The tail strap that is going around my rear is about as loose as it gets.. I had to literally pull it down on there.. Then on the sides of bag are 4 buckles.. But they give you two straps that you basically make that in/out with on a bar, then pull it up and snap to the buckle.. Then pull the slack and make it super tight.. It doesn't budge when I grab it.. So I'm wondering do you think its ok? I dont know what to do with those other 2 buckles.. Im gonna have to cut them off or something, otherwise its going to hit everything.. The other side is the same, 2 female buckles..

I think u have it on backwards, thin towards the front. I have a fieldsheer that I paid around 70$ for and I trust it enough to put my laptop in for over 100 miles each way.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I recently purchased a Fieldsheer as well for my Kat. I think I may need more room tho, but it stays on the bike very well.
      tail bag 014.jpg
      [FONT=Georgia]Gonna miss you guys and gals, be safe!!

Comment

Thats the way its on with the pricture... It won't move at all.. I can grab it and jerk it, the bike moves before it does.. I was just worried about the rear strap.

Comment

You probably want to put something on the straps to protect the paint, but otherwise it looks fine to me.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
            I think u have it on backwards, thin towards the front. I have a fieldsheer that I paid around 70$ for and I trust it enough to put my laptop in for over 100 miles each way.
            would make more sense to leave it the way it is. It is easier to access the zippers from the back when you are standing off the bike.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
              Thats the way its on with the pricture... It won't move at all.. I can grab it and jerk it, the bike moves before it does.. I was just worried about the rear strap.
              That's mounted correctly. Looks good. I agree with steve - you need some padding to protect your paint. Wonder if the padding is tucked into the bag underneath it somewhere (unusual that they don't have something IMO). OR, go and get some saddlebags:

"Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                You probably want to put something on the straps to protect the paint, but otherwise it looks fine to me.
                :

Comment

I also got the fieldsheer, its $49 at Motoworldonline.com right now.

See My Garage for mods...
                  T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                  Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

I went and purchased the saddle bags for mine this weekend, but may return the tail bag for a large duffle bag that will extend from the outter edge of each saddle bag so that I can pack like a week's worth of clothes easy! The three small compartments are nice for the 2 saddle bag and tail bag set up, but I tend to over pack so that's why I'm looking for a larger black bag that I can bungee across both saddle bags and the seat
                    [FONT=Georgia]Gonna miss you guys and gals, be safe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
                      That bag isn't going anywhere, you're fine. It probably doesn't even need the rear strap.

It is on correctly too.
                      2007 Honda CBR600rr
                      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                      sigpic

Comment

i got that same fieldsheer bag and saddlebags, nice thing is, the tail bag attaches to the saddle bags via clips, like it was meant for it. way nice.
                        2006 Katana 750, Bumble Bee replica
                        Bumblee Bee Tuna

Comment

Strap covers

Originally posted by DreKat View Post
                          :
                          I put some "sheepskin" sleeves over my straps. Got them from www.denniskirk.com. You can get cheaper synthetic "tubes" that will slip over if the buckles aren't too big, or, they have real sheepskin "tubes" that open up all the way, and close with velcro.

Comment

I use this one

I scored it for like $50 earlier this year.

It comes with covers to protect the paint. It's good size too, hold my work clothes / shoes / lunch / misc crap, some tools, plus a few other things.

Comment

The only way to find out is to take it on a short trip around the block but make sure u hit at least freeway speeds to find out.
                              Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                              Current Bikes:
                              1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Working...
                              X