Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Anyone want the start of a vintage kat project...ebay?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone want the start of a vintage kat project...ebay?

Saw this titled frame on ebay...looks like it could be the start of a vintage kat project for someone. Honestly, if I was on the east coast I'd probably pick it up just because it's titled. Check it out...currently at $50

No. Thank you. It would be 10X the cost of just buying one that's in decent shape. Wow. Talk about stripped down.
    sigpic
    A little throttle and ease out the clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by garrisonls View Post
      No. Thank you. It would be 10X the cost of just buying one that's in decent shape. Wow. Talk about stripped down.
      Not even close to 10x the cost if you can do all the work. I bought mine as a rolling chassis and honestly, I have slightly more into it than you would pay for a average condition runner. Difference is, mine has more HP than stock, more torque than stock, handles better, and is basically a brand NEW bike.

Comment

Wonder what the reserve is set at..... Not that I'm in any position to start another project right now though. You just have to watch with reserves. Some people believe they are sitting on a goldmine.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari View Post
          Not even close to 10x the cost if you can do all the work. I bought mine as a rolling chassis and honestly, I have slightly more into it than you would pay for a average condition runner. Difference is, mine has more HP than stock, more torque than stock, handles better, and is basically a brand NEW bike.
          It seems like it would be incredibly difficult to find parts for a 1983. I suppose that there are parts that are adaptable but I wouldn't know where to being on a project like that. I wonder how long they made that version of the chasis. Where would you even find an engine for it? I guess it's like eating an elephant. You just do it one bite at a time.
          sigpic
          A little throttle and ease out the clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by garrisonls View Post
            It seems like it would be incredibly difficult to find parts for a 1983. I suppose that there are parts that are adaptable but I wouldn't know where to being on a project like that. I wonder how long they made that version of the chasis. Where would you even find an engine for it? I guess it's like eating an elephant. You just do it one bite at a time.
            The old kats cross share a LARGE number of their parts with the GS series bikes.

I think the only stuff that is "hard" to find might be body work. Carbs and motor parts are easy to come by, and if I recall it's even possible to mount a "modern" 1127 oil cooled motor in that frame.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
              The old kats cross share a LARGE number of their parts with the GS series bikes.

I think the only stuff that is "hard" to find might be body work. Carbs and motor parts are easy to come by, and if I recall it's even possible to mount a "modern" 1127 oil cooled motor in that frame.
              Steves is correct, since it was based on a GS platform, alot of parts are interchangeable. It states in the auction the seller has bodywork available so there's one source. I see bodywork pieces come up all the time on ebay. If you want to stay air cooled, drop in a gs1000, gs1100, or 1150 motor into (or something more built up like one of Ray dragbikes). If you're like me and want something more modern with retro styling, drop in a bandit 1200 (like my 1157), a gsxr1100 or a late GSXF katana 1100. Adapting parts to these frames really is NOT that difficult. Just a little education and wrenching is required.

Comment

It has been removed from Ebay already. I have LOTS of GS 1100/1150 engines! Ray.
                85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Working...
                X