turbo EFI katana 1260

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by katman1260 View Post
    Elaborate?

My goal is not run into a lean condition caused by fuel starvation. I am going to run two LEDs on my dash. One yellow for low condition and one red flashing LED for critical low. It's a pretty easy solution and I really like flashing lights. Unless of course they are in my mirrors....
    ahahahaha me too
    time to nut up or shut up
    Originally posted by Rican Katgrl
    The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

Oh because a turbo motor doesn't survive lean conditions? I guess i'm wondering why running lean for a block would be a reason to build a blinking LED fuel indicator system.(like i really need a reason to build something cool!) is it because the pressurized EFI system wont handle a RES fuel switch well? Or is it because the turbo will do something terrible like divide by zero?

I've never seen a EFI bike have a RES fuel switch, and i'm sure i'll run into a similar issue when installing my EFI, and i'd like to know my options.
      Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
      Tony
      94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
        Oh because a turbo motor doesn't survive lean conditions? I guess i'm wondering why running lean for a block would be a reason to build a blinking LED fuel indicator system.(like i really need a reason to build something cool!) is it because the pressurized EFI system wont handle a RES fuel switch well? Or is it because the turbo will do something terrible like divide by zero?

I've never seen a EFI bike have a RES fuel switch, and i'm sure i'll run into a similar issue when installing my EFI, and i'd like to know my options.
        what do you mean by wont survive lean conditions????? im new to turbos and efi so enlighten me
        The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

IF on boost when you run lean yes, could be a bad day. A reserve switch or the reserve on the fuel cock has the same problem. it doesn't get activated geneally until the bike starts to run out of fuel. Which is what I am wanting to avoid.

I am not a turbo expert. This is my first turbo project. I am sure I will make my share of mistakes but... that being said. I am a good researcher and have built a few other bikes and pretty good at problem resolution(only because I have already done most of everything wrong at least once... aaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha)
          Last edited by katman1260; 09-10-2010, 03:43 AM.
          Kat Parts Clearance Selling Everything

Comment

IF on boost when you run lean yes, could be a bad day. A reserve switch or the reserve on the fuel cock has the same problem. it doesn't get activated geneally until the bike starts to run out of fuel. Which is what I am wanting to avoid.

I am not a turbo expert. This is my first turbo project. I am sure I will make my share of mistakes but... that being said. I am a good researcher and have built a few other bikes and pretty good at problem resolution(only because I have already done most of everything wrong at least once... aaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha)
            lol. well i'm hoping i can learn from your mistakes. so make some more.... then post em up!
            Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
            Tony
            94 Katana 600

Comment

lol. well i'm hoping i can learn from your mistakes. so make some more.... then post em up!
              First mistake was buying the turbo!!!

Comment

First mistake was buying the turbo!!!
                if you didnt than no one can learn from your mistakes......

Comment

I have decided to mount a surge tank on the bike. This functions like the float bowls of the carbs. Throttle bodies do not have foat bowls. The stock gs1100 bowls hold about 10oz of gas so that is about what my surge tank will hold. Basically a small can of tomato soup.
                  Others have told me that they have had success without the surge but I really don't want to get into leaning out conditions when the tank is low on fuel.
                  With the surge tank being fed by the main tank the pump will have a constant source of fuel in all conditions. The goal is to reduce the sloshing around of fuel and since the katana tank is just a big bath tub the fuel is quite mobile in there when fuel levels are low.
                  Modern bikes like gsxrs have tanks that are baffled off or are constructed with a deep well where the pump is so that sloshing isn't a problem.
                  My tank will be about 2.5" in diameter x maybe 6" long standing on end. Think of a large toilet paper roll standing on end. Of course that means running even more plumbing in an already crowded house. I will post pics when I make it out of a 2.5" tube of alum.

Comment

good idea. i like it!
                    Tony
                    94 Katana 600

Comment

• Got my frame back today from the welder

Here is my home made rig to check the frame for tweaks. Pretty self expanitory. Measure the triangles...

Here is the new coil bracket I made to clearence the plug wires. The Dyna coils have a tendancy to ground arc to the stock coil mount area from the plug wire boot. The stock mount is just too tight to the coil.

Time to mount the bandit 1200 swingarm. Katana pivot is 16mm, bandit pivot is about 20mm so a reducer bushing needs to be made. Also the bandit arm is narrower than the GS frame so they need collars as well.

When mounting the rear gsxr/bandit wheel (5.5 rim) I always use the GS sprocket carrier for this reason, sprocket sits closer to the midline of the bike so you have more chain clearance by the frame.

By doing this you also have to use the GS inner hub bushing. They are shorter than the gsxr. IF you use the wrong size bushing you will 1. not gain any chain clearance or 2. explode a wheel bearing from lateral loadiing.
                      I take the rubber cush out of the wheel when checking inner bushing fitment to eliminate the "squish factor". With the cush in the hub the carrier/bushing don't seat against the wheel bearing surface until the wheel is torqued down. You have to squish the cush to see if the bushing is the right size. That inner bushing has to mate against the wheel bearing or you may find yourself in a world of trouble on some lonely corner somewhere. The rubber cush is ONLY for rotational dampening.

Comment

• looks nice cant wait for the finished product

Comment

• I have to say yes! I have come across your site and was wondering when I would see this done. Now you have brought to my daily nesting grounds, Now I can keep an eye on it to see where it goes.

Also I have emailed person about an RFID systems, is that person you? If not just tell me to shut up. lol

Awesome build. SUB'ed
                          My Addiction (94 600 Kat)

Addicted to Modification since... 1995!
                          Electrical Tape, Zip-Ties, and Rivets are more like accents then eye sores.

Comment

• Thanks, I now know which hub to use and why. Thank God I got two GS hubs in the garage.

Does it matter what year the hubs are?

Comment

• Originally posted by Unholy_m View Post
                              I have to say yes! I have come across your site and was wondering when I would see this done. Now you have brought to my daily nesting grounds, Now I can keep an eye on it to see where it goes.

Also I have emailed person about an RFID systems, is that person you? If not just tell me to shut up. lol

Awesome build. SUB'ed
                              I don't think it was me you emailed. I do make the RFID digital ignitions and sell them on this site: http://www.katmanracing.robwilton.com/

Comment

• Yup that's the site I was looking at. I have been interested in those for a while.
                                My Addiction (94 600 Kat)

Addicted to Modification since... 1995!
                                Electrical Tape, Zip-Ties, and Rivets are more like accents then eye sores.

Comment

Working...
                                X