X

1982 Katana Colors

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Satin Black Powder Coat

Well, I didn't get the engine back into the frame yet. Had some new powder coat come in from Eastwood yesterday and ended up experimenting with it. All powders I've done to date have been gloss finish. With the satin powder, after it flows out, it looks like gloss. But with time and temperature, it breaks over from gloss to flatten a bit. Tried it one a few parts from both bikes and I like it. It has the appearance of satin or matte finish but is smooth to the touch (ie, easy to clean).

If I don't get the motor in the frame tonight, it will have to wait until next week as I getting ready for a bike trip up to Barber's Motorsports in Birmingham, AL for three days of vintage motorcycle racing. Just to walk through the paddock and look at all the era race bikes is good but to watch them race, priceless.

Z

Comment

Chances are....

...I'm posting this in the wrong area but I'm sure someone will let me know if ya'll are offended. Kind of quite over here in old Kat world.

Finally got the engine in the frame. My fancy engine wooden engine cradle interferred with the frame and therefore, did it the old fashion way...on the floor with shims.

Pre-valve cover removal.

Heading back to the bike lift.

Hard to resist a quick mock up.

This project is going on hold as of tonight as I'm off for 3 days of racing. I'll hit it hard when I come back to make up for lost time.

Z
      Last edited by zackybilly1; 10-08-2009, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Survived the trip to the races. Passed through the muesem and took a couple of pics of the two '82 Katanas they have on display.

Although I didn't take many pictures at the event, there were motorcycle of every shape, form or fashion running around (from early 1900's on up) brought by individuals. Out of the thousands of unique bikes, I only saw one '82 Katana (outside of the museum) and it was included in a display at a Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club booth.

Everyone came back with race bike fever.

Good times. Back to work.

Z
        Last edited by zackybilly1; 10-12-2009, 12:15 PM.

Comment

This post makes me want to go work on my bike now. That is one hell of a shop. Im very jealous.

Comment

Getting on with it.

Back on track and getting on with it.

Rear wheel done and mounted.

Frontend & front wheel done.

Fender & brake lines.

Just lack valve cover gasket, bleeding brakes and finishing fairing.

I've got three fairings...all in need of repair (blinker puncture on all). The original fairing that came on the bike new was fiberglass....the later versions are plastic.

Getting close.

Z
            Last edited by zackybilly1; 10-19-2009, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Looking great.

This thread shames me as I have not much in the last little while unless stock piling parts count.

Comment

Stockpiling Parts

Stockpiling parts is good and all part of the process. I spent about 6 weeks waiting on parts from BikeBandit. Gave me time to do the labor things but it's motivational for me to be able to handle some new parts along.

Although this one is close, it required no thought....just go back the way it came. On the second one (modified Kat), I'll have more "labor" type work to do, fabbing, welding and doctoring up some really rough looking parts. Plus figuring out color schemes, etc. Short of buying some decent after-market shocks for the 2nd one, I hope to keep spending to a minimum on the next one. It's hard to improvise on an "original" but this second one, I ought to be able to really butcher it up.

If you don't like an original...you can't blame me. If you don't like the modified one...I'm totally to blame. I don't think the modified one will look better than stock but it could damn sure look worse.

This one is fiberglass...it will have all the holes plugged for the modified Kat.

This one is plastic....had to build a blinker pocket for stock indicators. First coat of primer.

Z

Comment

I like the stockers, but I do think modified kats can look ok as well

Comment

I'm looking forward...

I'm looking forward to the latitude on the modified. I like the looks of the old Kats with the shorter, fatter wheels and butt-sprung but don't know if I want to bite off that much for this project. I'm going to start on the frame bracing, etc. and see where it leads from there.

May have to get your advice when I get to that point.

Z

Comment

Originally posted by zackybilly1 View Post
                      I'm looking forward to the latitude on the modified. I like the looks of the old Kats with the shorter, fatter wheels and butt-sprung but don't know if I want to bite off that much for this project. I'm going to start on the frame bracing, etc. and see where it leads from there.

May have to get your advice when I get to that point.

Z
                      Look forward to it....might be starting on my second 82 kat by then as well

Comment

Exhaust

that bike is looking great, and it's giving me lots of ideas, which is even better ,thanks.

I notice your Exhaust mounts neatly at the rear most frame mount, is that just luck or did you have to fab that mount? On my pipe which appears to be the same the mount falls several inches forward of that.

Comment

Fiberglass Cowling

The cowling I am using on the current build is plastic (should shoot the silver on it tonight), I went ahead and stripped the fiberglass one down to the gel coat (with a bead blaster). It appears that the FG one was shot with a extremely hi-build filler (pink stuff), painted black all over (what you see under the windscreen) and then, masked off & shot with silver. After removing all the coatings, the FG has your typical holidays all over. I bet this was the most labor intensive part on the whole bike for Suzuki until they got geared up for injection molding.

Johnod...Vance & Hines built that pipe for the GS1000S...that is my second one like that. I think that I've may have bought a third (won't be sure until it comes in) that I found on ebay. Years ago, before I bought the first one designed for the Katana, I picked up one (I think for an GS1000L...not sure) and the hanger tab was as you described.

Z

Comment

Devil in the details...

Finally got my cowl repaired (left blinker pocket), painted and installed (that high-light over the pocket is over-head light reflections).

Grinding at the repair for support clearance.

Indicators seem bigger than ever.

...and received some 24-hole valve cover gaskets and put the lid on it.

Hope to fuel it up and fire it off tonight.

Z

Comment

Beautiful, dude

Comment

The pic I was waiting to take...

This is the one I've been looking for.

Took it out for a short shake-down run. I had jetted these carbs up for the pipe and wound up a little on the rich side. Couldn't find any 47.5 pilots so tried 50's. Took it back to the house and to re-consider the jetting. Dropped the bowls (PIA on hot engine) and swapped back to the stock 45's. Seemed to run much better...took it for a little ride. Headlight was set too high and returned to the house to adjust. Seemed to be starving for fuel when idling (trying to idle). Suspect 45's weren't as clean as they should be. To pay for my stupidity for not closely checking, I get to do the bowl dropping bit again today. Trying to get it sorted before the weekend in case the weather straightens up.

Z

Comment

Working...
                                X