X

1985 Katana Pop-Up (Restoring)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by riffer View Post
      You got a link for that classic Katana club dude?

I'm in need of some replacement parts and I'm dead keen to find out if they're one-offs or if another Suzuki shares the parts with the popup Kat.

Specifically:

1. mirrors
      2. windscreen
      3. brake lever (I'm damn sure its the same as others).
      4. front fender & fork brace.
      If I can't find a windscreen and mirrors at a decent price I'm looking at Plan B, which is to put bar mounts and Renthal bars on it.

Comment

looks like a shark
        sigpic2006 KAT 750

"Ever wonder how some people have made it as far in life as they have?"

Comment

This bike is as old as me
          sigpic

Comment

Well, I got it back from the shop, $743 later. Forks were rebuilt, carbs rebuilt and synced, got bike safetied and some misc engine boots etc.

Really lost motivation on it. My GS1150 is running mint, with 30k on it, no problems. The GS750 is skipping out of gear in 2nd. Other gears are ok. I assume its major to fix a bent fork in the tranny.

So that leave me with three options. I can leave the project for winter when I have more time and repair it. I can sell as is, or I can part it out. I am invested heavily now at $2500. So selling as is, is a waste. Selling for parts is an option as there is a demand as it would help other owners.

I am undecided at this point. The bike is back together with new everything, paint, plastic, mirrors, tank, rubber, rims etc, looks great, but I don't want to drive it with a tranny problem like poping out of second. Its very disheartening to have this after all that work. I could try and split the crank and figure out whats going, but that is also a bit intimidating as I havn't done this before, and it seems quite time consuming.

Steve

Comment

Second gear issue isn't really that big of a deal. The bike is worth it! IMHO
              Keep the faith brother, there a just a few of the flipups out there!
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

good luck, looks like you'll need it.
                sigpic2006 KAT 750

"Ever wonder how some people have made it as far in life as they have?"

Comment

I saw your gastank electrolysis job, where can i find all the info on how to do that to my tank?

thanks

Originally posted by BV1 View Post
                  Well, I got it back from the shop, $743 later. Forks were rebuilt, carbs rebuilt and synced, got bike safetied and some misc engine boots etc.

Really lost motivation on it. My GS1150 is running mint, with 30k on it, no problems. The GS750 is skipping out of gear in 2nd. Other gears are ok. I assume its major to fix a bent fork in the tranny.

So that leave me with three options. I can leave the project for winter when I have more time and repair it. I can sell as is, or I can part it out. I am invested heavily now at $2500. So selling as is, is a waste. Selling for parts is an option as there is a demand as it would help other owners.

I am undecided at this point. The bike is back together with new everything, paint, plastic, mirrors, tank, rubber, rims etc, looks great, but I don't want to drive it with a tranny problem like poping out of second. Its very disheartening to have this after all that work. I could try and split the crank and figure out whats going, but that is also a bit intimidating as I havn't done this before, and it seems quite time consuming.

Steve

Comment

Theres a thread on how to do that on the forums here, it has recent mosts in it. Just search electrolysis.

Comment

To make it easy: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...t=electrolysis
                      TDA Racing/Motorsports
                      Who knows what is next?

Comment

This is the bike as it sits.

The project was easy enough to get into for $600. But the tires ($300), Rear Rim ($100), Shop work - Carb Sync, Fork Rebuild, Boots, tune up etc ($750... I told them I didn't want to go over $350...), Battery ($100) Rectifier, ($150), Paint / Mirrors and Plastics, POR and tank repair ($750), Euro Signals ($60), Powder coating ($50)... + about 60 hours of my time. And now on the day I take it for a ride, to find that second gear is blown, argh. It just too much to deal with right now. I don't have the time or $$ to continue to invest. Sitting around House renos are on going, and I can't afford to sink anymore into the money pit. Too bad I really wanted to ride it this year. The guy that sold it to me, kept a zipped lip on the 2nd gear issue, now I know why it sat in his garage for 10 years. Geez. Sittin at just under $3000... and more work to go.

If I still have it by winter, I will rip out the engine and take a look. Taking a chance on a used engine (can't find one anyways) seems like it would only lead to more troubles as my luck has been bad enough already.

Steve
                        Last edited by BV1; 08-10-2009, 01:03 PM.

Comment

THis is the bike as it sits.

try that

Looking good, real good!! I want to do a 7/11 to one of the flipups!
                          Last edited by ThAzKat; 08-10-2009, 12:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          TDA Racing/Motorsports
                          Who knows what is next?

Comment

Originally posted by ThAzKat View Post
                            Second gear issue isn't really that big of a deal. The bike is worth it! IMHO
                            Keep the faith brother, there a just a few of the flipups out there!

+10

Your this close, don't stop now....

It won't be as bad as your thinking.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Tommorrows another day, will take it form there.

Steve

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by ThAzKat View Post
                                Thanks

Theres a thread on how to do that on the forums here, it has recent mosts in it. Just search electrolysis.
                                The bike looks great, you know of course if you let it go some guy will fix it for zilch and you'll have to see it going by every day.

Fix it, it'll be worth it all in the end.

You'll love it

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Tommorrows another day, will take it form there.

Steve
                                Last edited by johnod; 08-10-2009, 06:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                                X