X

GSXR 1052 engine into Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSXR 1052 engine into Kat

Hello guys, for the past year or so, i have been collecting parts to build a special "Big Kat" Katana. Im '42 years young' this year, and fell in love with the big kat when i was a weeee nipper of a sprout, & vowed one day that i would own one. Well, 3 kids & a whole career later, i have most of the parts to build a special but am stuck for some bits of advice, and hope someone can help ?

I have just had the entire front end of a Suzuki GSXR 1300 Hayabusa fitted to a 1981 GSX1100 Frame, curtesy of a stem swap, & a GSX1400 Rear end (Swinger, wheel etc..) with Ohlins piggy back shocks is in the process of being fitted by a local engineering company .. (cant wait to get it back..) Tank/panels/tail piece / frame/wheels are all to be painted here at my workshop by myself, (ex painter..) so no bother there.

A few weeks ago, i went out & purchased an early 12k mileage GSXR 1052 (Bandit) oil cooled engine, & am currently trawling the web for information regarding the correct engine mounts to make these two items fit together correctly, without causing other major head-aches like tank/headers problems, and wondered if anyone out there could advise me.

I have downloaded the DXF engine mounts for this conversion from the Oldskool Suzuki website, but following closely the Waltari (Matthew..) blogg, it seems that these mounts/brackets are no good !?! and wondered if anyone else has any templates/measurements that i could have (buy???) so i can have some made up for me.

As you can probably guess, im no engineer by any degree, so all of the metal engineering work has to go to outside vendors, and so getting it right in the first instance is vital. Please .. any help would be hugely applauded, as i would really like to get this bike finished so that i can ride it with pride.

Thanks in advance y'all

Dean
    .." I have a heart condition. If you hit me, it's murder." .. Withnail & I.

would suggesting you made them yourself out of 3-4mm aluminium first as patterns not seem a good idea ...

that way you can move the engine around to suit yourself and the downpipes/oilcooler you intend using ...

i've not heard of a 1052cc engine being fitted as standard to the bandit, more likely you've got hold of an early gsxr1100 (slabside) engine...

hope my suggestions give you something to think on
    it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

FWIW, Bandit 1200's had 1147 cc motors...

Last edited by StevieB; 06-10-2008, 11:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB View Post

10cc's out, 1157cc if it's the 1200
        it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

Katana special ,, getting there .. slowly ;0 )

[YOUTUBE]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5622E3fkqM8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5622E3fkqM8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Just wow... that is going to be a monster bad arse ride!...

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Looking good. Unfortunately though I can see that the video is clearly fake.

There's no sunshine in the UK!

Comment

Yep. KOTY written all over that when done!
                -2000 "750"

Comment

Katana of the yeaR !!! .. jeeesh ive gone all red in the face .. hehe .. you do know its all you guys fault huh !?! - ive been coming on here for the past few years, looking and dribbling at all your tasty kats both old and new, and last year i thought bugger it and jumped in head first to make a special kat for me that i think would reflect my somewhat "heavy rock" personality ..

Jobs-worth:-

[YOUTUBE]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jo40M1juB7A&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jo40M1juB7A&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Anywhoooooooooo thanks for the encouraging comments guys, and if anyone wants to see the build from the bare bones up add me as a friend on facebook and enjoy .. all comments,tips, info etc encouraged.

Facebook:- http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&id=654913133

Laters ;0 )

Comment

I have a question for you. Why go to the trouble to change the motor when a GS motor,which you apparently already have, makes WAY more torque & is capable of making a BUNCH more power, not to mention the stronger roller bearing crank of the GS? I am an engine builder with several TONS of GS engines & engine parts & can't see why you want to go to the trouble of a swap when you have a better engine platform already. Ray.
                    85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

I agree with ray, why did you do that? I have a GS that I hope he can help me build. The GS 1100 motor is way strong and is well known in dragracing! I will not get off my GS engine, there is so much potential available in that motor!
                      TDA Racing/Motorsports
                      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                      Who knows what is next?
                      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

.. well, to answer your questions, the gs motor i have on the bench is a 750 affair that came out of my gs750es rat-bike that i am still modifying as a road legal stunt bike, and to be perfectly 'onest with y'all, with regartds to the custum kat build, i really wanted to follow MY vision i had for my dream bike and that included a GSX'R' 1100 motor in a vintage kat .. the R motor has a whole list of internal mods that the last owner shelled out for only to stick his beloved streetfighter in a ditch .. and at the right price, his loss was my gain ( he's fine btw..) .. also form over function in the eye candy department, i do like the aesthetics of the R motor ..

Eazy

Comment

The circumstances you are faced with make this switch ok then. You have my approval!! LOL!!! Let me know if you need any motor help. Ray.
                          85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

hehe.. cheers Ray .. er .. as long as thats fine with you guys too

[YOUTUBE]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qu_2likGlok&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qu_2likGlok&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

"its gonna be a loooong stay.."

Originally posted by Robgsxf750 View Post
                            Looking good. Unfortunately though I can see that the video is clearly fake.

There's no sunshine in the UK!
                            hehe .. good old blighty .. your aquainted with this green and p(l)easant land then huh !?! lol
                            .. actually compared to the floods last year and such like, us brits are even truly more thankful when it stops ****in' down with rain & we get an odd day of sweeeeeet *** sunshine to go for a blatt.. ( thats a ride in the U.K !?!)
                            Last edited by Captain Splat; 06-13-2009, 12:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I'm building the "dream" bike. Don't call it that.

Comment

Working...
                              X