Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Hi iam new and have a carbs question?????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi iam new and have a carbs question?????

Troubleshooting!
    Hi i have used a set of wot i was told are 1983 GSX 1100 katana carbs for a different application but i am having problems with feul leakage from the lower right port on the inlet side of the carbs..?? I have increased the jet size to 145.0 from 112.5 could this cause the leakage or is there a float level adjustment that i should be checking????
    Please help
    Thanks heaps

Dan

Dan, I'd check the float level. Sounds like your getting to much fuel in the bowl.

Good luck

Comment

Did you mess with the floats? Leaking from the inlet port? Loose clamp? Need more info.
      Last edited by Kfreak; 02-10-2008, 06:51 PM.

Comment

in regaurds to the port that it is leaking. it is the port of unknow origen that is positioned a 4 oclock on the outer ring of the inlet side. the leakage only occurs when the engine is running, there is no leakage when it is purely the fuel pump running. i have not tampered with the floats at all only replaced the main jet can u adjust the float level?

Is there any where that u r aware of on the net or otherwise that i may be able to aquire a maunual/cut away picture or detailed explaination of these old mikuni carbs. as my efforts thusfar have been futile.

Thanks for ur time and knowledge
        Cheers
        Dan

Comment

This is supposed to be the carbs for GS1100sd. But the body style matches the GSX Katana.

You adjust the floats this way..
          A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
          mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Wish I could come up with pics but seems like we don't have any..
          Last edited by Black_peter; 02-11-2008, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Get yourself a repair manual. They are still available. You may have a stuck needle valve or accidentally changed a float level.

Comment

+1 on he stuck needle valve. I had that happen on my Katana ( when I still had it ) it had varnish build up on the needle and would make it stick. You could tap the side of the carb and it would stop. I'd check there first. It sounds like the gas is comming out of the bowl vent.
              Life's not always beautiful, but it's a beautiful ride!! 94 Katana 600/750 and 99 Harley Electra-Glide

Comment

Cheers

I will have a look at all the things metioned
                thanks heaps u guys rock
                i really appriciate it

Cheers again
                Dan
                Ps i will keep u posted
                thanks

Comment

The way i do it is too take a clear fuel line slip it over the carbs drain spout under the bowl, loop it up to the hieght of the top of carb, then i back out the drain screw and turn the fuel too prime, you will see fuel rise in tube if it stays below the bowl seam say 1-2mm your close however if it risses above the seam (where the bowl mounts too carb body) you have a float issue, check too make sure the float isnt alowing fuel into it sometimes they split, check float needle valve seat for wear or dirt otherwise bend the lip that sits over the needle just a little down so the needle closes sooner and check again with hose and fuel .
                  if you not sure do this to one or 2 of the good carbs and mark the fuels level on hose agaist the float housing for a measurement then adjust the other carbs float level by bending floats tab over the needle till you get the same level, it can be a pain but usually i take them out and do it on a bench with a moded fuel can i have with a valve.
                  hope this helps ya
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by katman64; 03-30-2008, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X