Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

SWAPPING GAS TANKS - Purist offensive ;0 )

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWAPPING GAS TANKS - Purist offensive ;0 )

.. Hello there, great website, lots and lots of useful information across the many threads, very helpful, thanks, and thanks for such a warm welcome in the ..er .. introductions section

I do have a question to pose, but i reckon the best thing at this point is for you to go take a look in my garage .. ( NOT the 2 classic 1980's hooligan Liquid cooled 2 smokers ) .. the other one..

1984 - GSX750ES - Katana (box frame.)

I was wondering if earlier 'round frame' 1981(?) - 1987(?) GSX750/1000/1100 Tanks, side panels,seat, rear plastics, front fairing etc were ALL interchangable across models ? would say a 82-84 gas tank/side plastics fit straight onto my bike without frame modification ? .. is the Katana's gas Tank's physical diamentions, mounting points all the same across years/models ? what about the 250 ? .. or am i barking up the wrong tree here .. ? hey .. im not looking to put a show-winner together here, more like a cool looking 'daily burner' instead of using my wallet shrinking/petrol munching car.

I love the motor in my bike, & have heard lots of talk in favour of the 16valve TSSC over its earlier much heavier dohc-GS motor, and it is the one i much prefer .. so much torque it pull's like the proverbial train, and is a slice of heaven compared to the knife edge that is my other sunday knee scratcher (YPVS) so would be great to know what parts to buy for a GSX750ES-KatGSX750 wanna-be / lookee-likee .. anyways .. help and /or pointers in the right direction much appreciated .. an' btw .. my name is Dean - saying hi
    Last edited by Captain Splat; 12-30-2007, 02:46 PM. Reason: ... too buzy fluffing..
    .." I have a heart condition. If you hit me, it's murder." .. Withnail & I.

Anything will fit with enough time, money, and effort, but no... nothing from the 80's kats will bolt directly on to these bikes.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Ohhhhhhh crud !?! .. well, as you guys stated, non of the original Kat bits fit on my gsx750es without serious modification, so i opted to take a different route .. and now i have just bought a Kat 1100 SD frame which I think is a 'W'. It's an SZ one so about 1981 vintage .. ( ebay purchase/not arrived as yet..)

So i guess my next question is:- would a GSX750ES TSCC engine/carbs fit into the Kat frame without lots of messing around, or are there lots of brackets i have to have made so as to accomodate the motor ? - also, how difficult is it to fit the GSX750es Rear swinger/monoshock system to the SZ Frame, obviously brackets to accomodate the top mount .. but does anyone know if the swinger pivot point / width are the same ? .. long shot i know.

Cheers in advance

Dean0

Comment

OK...WALTARI is the guy to ask.....
        He has been there and done it to every Katana around.

As stated...everything will theorectically fit, but some fabricating...cutting and welding will have to be done. I have a stock 82 1100 that I will never butcher, but I would love to go the route that you are going with a bunch of bastrdized parts.

Look at the 1157 thread in this section to guide you, and don't be afraid to ask Waltari, Kweeble and the other "mad modders" on this site.

Comment

If your 84 750 has a squre tube frame, you'll most likely need new motor mounts. If you have to machine new motor mounts, why not pick up a newer or bigger CC oil cooled motor and fit that instead.

Easiest way to make the new mounts of to removed the oil pan and bolt on a flat plate (easier to keep the whole thing level. and then position it in the fraem with various jacks, support, etc. Once you think you have the positon right, INSTALL THE BODYWORK or you likely have something hitting the bottom of the tank etc. Make sure the fuel tap is installed in the tank...fit the carbs and filters. Once you're sure EVERYTHING clears, start taking measurements and make quick dirt cutouts of the new mounting in thin steel. Don't make em pretty, you're just makiing patterns. Once you have everything figured out, transfer the measuremnts manually to the acutal material you'll be using for the mounts or I usually scan my patterns, clean them up in CAD, verify measurement and use the files to make the new ones. It's a hassle but worht it in the end. I took a couple short cuts and am still not 100% happy with a couple things. I may make one more set of mounts myself just for the hell of it

Comment

Thanks Waltari some things to bear in mind when i start getting stuck into the rebuild mock-up stage .. and i must say what a beautiful Kat you have there, its gorgeous, pity your not shipping it to me here in the U.K though
            and cheers again for the poiters Range .. appreciate it ;0 ) ... hey btw range , i go out tour again end of this month for near on 5 weeks !?! drum kit & Bass Rig technician for a band called 'the Mission' (UK) themissionuk.com/ .. your a bit of a rocker huh dude, have you ever heard of this big "GOTH" band ? ( quite big here in the late 1980's/early 90's..)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v5W3YiqXpow&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v5W3YiqXpow&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Peace bro's & Sisters of Kat-land -- Dean

Comment

Working...
            X