Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Katana 750 project

Hello all,

New here, but not to bikes. Thought I'd start out with my project bike:

So I bought a 95 GSXF750 yesterday and it is in dire need of some help. Runs, doesn't ride.
    Paid $840 for it and I have a budget of about $1000 which I will probably surpass...

Bare minimum to get it riding:
    • Cleaned fuel system (rust)
    • Battery
    • Clutch Plates
    • Oil Change

Sorry for the crummy photos, they will get progressively better when the bike is worth looking at.

This is probably as custom as you can get and not in a clean, "I want that" way, in a way that screams apocalypse road warrior custom. It's only trying to survive.
    So I plan to do a complete rebuild/clean on this bike and keep it a streetfighter.

It has gas in the oil so the float valve in the carb is likely bad and the piston rings are probably also shot. The tank is pretty rusty inside and really needs to be cleaned of the gumed up old paint on it, no dents though.

Plans:
    • Paint the frame and swingarm red
    • Sand and paint gas tank black
    • New piston rings, rebuilt carbs, crank and rod bearings
    • New clutch plates
    • New Shifter
    • Misc Painted engine componets
    • New handlebars, grips ect.
    • New triple tee, ignition and tank lock.
    • Ducati 1098 seat with custom support and integrated LED tail light

And that's all I can think of for now, if you have any of the mentioned parts message me and I will likely purchase them.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Steven0000; 05-27-2014, 08:59 AM.

Nice im building my 93 600 in to my own streetfighter

What pipe is that u have on it and is it loud?
    Last edited by denkatana; 05-28-2014, 06:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

The bike is VERY loud and in the pictures it looks like there is only one exhaust exit, but there are two, one on each side. I plan on removing the two chrome pipes, repainting the headers and custom welding an exhaust "box" that has and outlet on each side. like this:

As for what pipe it is I don't have a clue. My guess is one of the PO cut the exhaust and slapped those two chrome pipes on because the headers are rusted to hell and the two chrome pipes are clamped on with exhaust clamps from a local auto parts store.

UPDATE:

I ordered a Ducati 1098 seat, pegs & brackets, rear brake lever, triple tee and a petcock rebuild kit.

I played around with the clutch cable and adjustment and got the clutch working, but I won't really know if the clutch is bad until I can get the bike running again. I also removed all the fantastic hardware that surrounded the seat to find a cut subframe/frame and two vertically welded ends.

I'm picking up a sandblaster today so I can strip old paint and put on new.

I really want a CNC'd subframe/seat frame like this one:

I am working on getting the auto cad file so I can get a quote as to how much it will cost and I contacted the guy who designed and built it.

I have the following to purchase (so far):

Ignition coils
      Gauges
      Keyed Ignition
      Dirtbike Handle Bars and Risers
      Switches/Controls
      Headlight http://www.ebay.com/itm/171322036763
      Carb Rebuild Kits: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201096670920
      Master Cylinder Rebuild kits: http://www.ebay.com/itm/371007225374 http://www.ebay.com/itm/271413960680
      Last edited by Steven0000; 05-29-2014, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Got the bike apart, working on the tank mostly. I removed the rust from the tank with a kit from por15 and I have been doing the body work.

Completed:
        • Gas tank rust removal and sealer
        • Replaced ignition
        • Rebuilt Petcock

Currently working on:
        • Body work on gas tank
        • Painting Gas tank
        • Rewiring
        • Painting Misc PArts

Awaiting:
        • Paint
        • Handlebars
        • Gauges
        • Headlight

Hopefully I'll finish the body work tonight as this is what takes the longest.
        After that it should be smooth sailing as I just have to bolt on most of the new stuff and paint a few more things. I have to get the exhaust welded together and brackets welded on so I can bolt up my footrests (numb buts before me cut them off). I also plan to weld a box that holds the battery tray and a small storage compartment to clean things up in the tail section. More pics to come as soon as I get something else finished.

Here is where it currently sits:

Comment

Just bought:

Levers,
          Headlight,
          Moto Handlebars + Risers
          Replacement Ignition Coils
          Throttle Assembly + Controls
          Shifter Assembly
          Grips

Will upload better pictures when tank is finished.

Comment

Wired up the the headlight, kill switch, start button and brake light switch.

Finished painting and parts are back on the bike. Here is how it sits:

Need to:
            • Weld brackets for seat
            • Weld brackets for foot rests
            • Weld battery and compartment tray
            • Put cone filters on carbs
            • Install exhaust and weld box
            • Install speedometer and tach
            • Install windscreen
            • Install lengthened brake line
            • Shape seat to conform to tank

Waiting on parts to arrive:
            • Brake line
            • Levers
            • Exhaust plates to install exhaust
            • Tail light
            • LCD Gauges
            • Windscreen

Windscreen will be a smaller, but look something like this:

Overall I am very happy I invested minimal time and money and so far so good

I've spent somewhere around $400 for parts and paint and paid $840 for the bike. Not bad for a $1240 bike. Needs a clean and a few other things, but it's coming along. Should be under $1500 when all is said and done.

Comment

Working...
            X