No announcement yet.
X

Project "Historical Racer"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those are egr related if I recall. I took each out, and blocked them off. Good as new!

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

Originally posted by Lykkan View Post
      Those are egr related if I recall. I took each out, and blocked them off. Good as new!
      +1
      Did that to both my 600 and 1100. It's not unique to the '06, it's unique to California market bikes.
      Sucks about the engine grenading! Good luck with a new engine.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
        +1
        Did that to both my 600 and 1100. It's not unique to the '06, it's unique to California market bikes.
        Sucks about the engine grenading! Good luck with a new engine.
        Oh I see! thanks!

Im sure that the EGR pipes were necessary for bikes sold in California to pass the tighter emission standards.

how did you plug them? cut the pipe off the flange and weld a plug on it?

Ill probably buy an engine tomorrow.. so to be installing it next weekend.

do 98+ engine squeeze a bit more power than my 93?

Comment

Originally posted by DNLT View Post
          Oh I see! thanks!

Im sure that the EGR pipes were necessary for bikes sold in California to pass the tighter emission standards.

how did you plug them? cut the pipe off the flange and weld a plug on it?

Ill probably buy an engine tomorrow.. so to be installing it next weekend.

do 98+ engine squeeze a bit more power than my 93?
          Opposite actually. Pre engines made more power.

I made block off plates - 1/4" steel plate, traced the emmissions port, trimmed, and put cut a gasket to fit. But the welding a plug option would work too. Indont have welding access, so I made the block off plates. If you get a non CA engine, you won't have to worry about it anyways.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
            Opposite actually. Pre engines made more power.

I made block off plates - 1/4" steel plate, traced the emmissions port, trimmed, and put cut a gasket to fit. But the welding a plug option would work too. Indont have welding access, so I made the block off plates. If you get a non CA engine, you won't have to worry about it anyways.
            I filled the hole in with welds then grinded them flush, then used the stock gasket.
            Only reason pre's made more power was because of tighter emissions in the newer kat's. I feel the newer carbs are more capable but that's just an opinion of course.
            The old carbs have a copper tube that runs on the outside of the body instead of on the inside, and it looks super fragile lol
            Last edited by Lykkan; 04-10-2015, 08:05 AM.

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

Originally posted by Lykkan View Post
              I filled the hole in with welds then grinded them flush, then used the stock gasket.
              Only reason pre's made more power was because of tighter emissions in the newer kat's. I feel the newer carbs are more capable but that's just an opinion of course.
              The old carbs have a copper tube that runs on the outside of the body instead of on the inside, and it looks super fragile lol
              So the old Kat had a bit more power (roughly 10hp), but the newer engine are smoother adn better drive? better torque curve?

Comment

So the old Kat had a bit more power (roughly 10hp), but the newer engine are smoother adn better drive? better torque curve?
                I honestly don't think there's much difference between the two. I think some of the designs were improved upon, such as the carb layout, but it may have been mostly for emissions and meeting DOT requirements

Comment

Finally got on ebay a 2001 engine from a bike with only 9000miles on it.

I reassembled the bike over the weekend, and everything is working!!!
                  The engine has a very smooth progression, very stable idle!

in the mean time I repainted the swing-arm and stachions, while machining a chain guard from aluminum.

pics within the next days!

ps: what do you suggest to do with the old engine? I dont think there are many interchangeable parts between a 93 and 01 engine. The head casting is damaged as well the camshafts, all the valves are still good, and no other damage.

I was thinking to sell as it is on craiglist for cheap (less than 200$) so whoever wants it can sell the parts separately. (Im too busy to do it myself)

any idea?

Comment

Finally got on ebay a 2001 engine from a bike with only 9000miles on it.

I reassembled the bike over the weekend, and everything is working!!!
                    The engine has a very smooth progression, very stable idle!

in the mean time I repainted the swing-arm and stachions, while machining a chain guard from aluminum.

pics within the next days!

ps: what do you suggest to do with the old engine? I dont think there are many interchangeable parts between a 93 and 01 engine. The head casting is damaged as well the camshafts, all the valves are still good, and no other damage.

I was thinking to sell as it is on craiglist for cheap (less than 200$) so whoever wants it can sell the parts separately. (Im too busy to do it myself)

any idea?
                    People looking to find a cheap crotch rocket engine for a project are people who will pick it up. Think I sold mine for $100. Took a few months of being listed, but it worked. Used craigslist

Comment

Im replacing the brake lines (better safe than sorry), and I would like to upgrade the master cylinder, which one do you suggest?

PS: I will post it on craigslist! thanks!

Comment

Im replacing the brake lines (better safe than sorry), and I would like to upgrade the master cylinder, which one do you suggest?

PS: I will post it on craigslist! thanks!
                        It looked like you were asking me, and I really have no idea, so someone else needs to put in their 0.02

Comment

Where are the pictures!? Us guys on here are like little kids, pictures keep us interested!
                          Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
                          ~Author Unknown

Comment

here are the eye candies!

so summarizing:
                            - new engine
                            - repainted forks
                            - repainted swing arm
                            - machine a chain guard from aluminum and painted

in the meantime, I ordered the master cylinder of the 05 gsxr and new levers.

Comment

I dunno, just another "street fighter"?

The black frame is just KILLING the retro racer look for me.
                              How come you don't paint that aluminum?
                              Filling in the lower part of the tank would help a lot.
                              How come you don't buy some replica fairings too?

Comment

My .02:
                                Your bike looks SICK! Awesome job!
                                1998 Katana 750
                                1992 Katana 1100
                                2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Working...
                                X