X

Project "Historical Racer"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DNLT View Post
    I tried the clutch adjustment already.. but it matchs with the problem that everyone else had.. with either a bent fork or a damaged gear.

Once the gear it is "in" as soon as I start to accelerate it slips back to neutral, and the only way to hold it is to keep up the shift lever up.

once the third is in.. no problems at all.

With engine swap Im afraid to not know what im getting into... if it has more problems...

why do you suggest the 98?

thanks

The 98+ models have differently cut gears to prevent the issue from occurring due to user abuse. That's ultimately the cause... people mis shift and damage the gearing because they don't wait for the rpms to match back up and jam it into gear anyways.

There is a couple of posts on here, including one by Manny that has details on repairing the trans on these bikes. Does not take a full tear down, just open up the bottom.

It's not that hard, just takes some time.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      The 98+ models have differently cut gears to prevent the issue from occurring due to user abuse. That's ultimately the cause... people mis shift and damage the gearing because they don't wait for the rpms to match back up and jam it into gear anyways.

There is a couple of posts on here, including one by Manny that has details on repairing the trans on these bikes. Does not take a full tear down, just open up the bottom.

It's not that hard, just takes some time.

Krey
      thanks!

do you remember which Manny exactly? Manny5866?

or do you remeber where that post was?

I cant find it..

Comment

Originally posted by DNLT View Post
        thanks!

do you remember which Manny exactly? Manny5866?

or do you remeber where that post was?

I cant find it..

My apologies, I should have mentioned his user name.

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
        From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
        this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Talltec = Manny.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

im still curious about what exactly was causing mannys problem when nothing wrong could be identified...
          2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

So today with just 3 hours worth of work, the engine was down and the shifting forks were off.

this is what I did:

1) clutch cover
            2) clutch discs
            3) clutch basket
            4) oil pan
            5) shifter rocker and its shaft
            6) bridge with two machine screws
            7) the hollow shaft that holds all the forks
            8) all the forks can be removed

if you all want I can make word file with all the steps... I do believe that it is doable without removing the engine from the bike...

having said that, Forks 1 and 2 look ok and they are within specs.

Fork 3 looks terrible, pictures attached.
            IMG_20140526_180114.jpg
            IMG_20140526_180121.jpg

I do believe that Fork 3 is the one that engage 2nd and 6th gear, which could explain the problem with the 2nd gear.In addition, I was never able to engage the 6th gear.

now if you look at this two exploded gearshift and transmission assembly, can some of you confirm me that Fork 3 is the one that engage the 2nd gear?

GEAR SHIFTING

TRANSMISSION

I checked each single gear in the transmission and there is not sign of visible wear or missing tooth.

do you suggest the put the shift indent kit as well?
            Last edited by DNLT; 05-26-2014, 06:13 PM.

Comment

so finally everything is fixed and the bike is working great!

the second gear works perfectly, and the shift indent kit really makes a huge difference!

the front fender is finally back on, and the rims are finally painted white!

In addition I machined a block of aluminun as a holder for the small led fuel meter.

I put in this post the procedure that I used to replace the shifter forks..
              NO NEED TO SPLIT THE CRANKCASE!

better pictures will be uploaded by the end of the week

Ciao!

IMG_20140531_193932.jpg

IMG_20140608_182445.jpg

Removing the shifter forks Katana 600.pdf

Comment

Were u having issues shifting from first to second any mine grinds a lil some times but i think its me not the bike

Comment

Originally posted by denkatana View Post
                  Were u having issues shifting from first to second any mine grinds a lil some times but i think its me not the bike

if the problem is from first to second, most probably you have a damaged fork.. like I had..

Comment

so finally the bike is finished for this season... and now I just enjoy riding it!!! the commute to work thru the winding contry roads of connecticut its just amazing!

here it is finally with the fender, the white rims and a golden chain...

and the best thing is that the overall project was below 1500$!

IMG_20140611_194546.jpg

IMG_20140611_194620.jpg

IMG_20140615_151407.jpg

IMG_20140615_151424.jpg

IMG_20140615_151447.jpg

I would like to thank the help that I got from of each one of you

Comment

looks so much better without purple wheels good job! sharp bike

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

so today is raining.. cant ride..

I finally got the front fairing from a ducati monster... already in the painting process!

also making aluminun brackets to installing it, by the end of the week I should have pictures!

unfortunately the second gear problem came back, the shift kit was a temporary solution.

So this winter, Ill take the engine down and replace what its necessary.

since I will open the engine, any upgrade o replacement worth doing on the engine?

and more in general, suggest on upgrade the forks on rear shock?

how bout carbs as well?

thanks

Comment

With the front fairing on, for this year the bike is finished!

IMG_9967.jpg

IMG_9968.jpg

IMG_9969.jpg

IMG_9970.jpg

IMG_9971.jpg

IMG_9972.jpg

IMG_9973.jpg

Comment

so after taking the engine apart this winter, replacing the second gear... and few other things...the bike was ready for a run!

everything started fine.. no problem at all!
                            15 miles into the ride a terrible noise started to come from the headers (valve lash was just checked and it was in specs).

just opened the headers and the right hand side of the camshaft are destroyed by oil starvation!

the entire head as well, if not even something else! most likely one of the oil passages is clogged.

none of my work had to deal with oil pump or oil passages.

so...I was thinking at first to fix the engine again.. considering the work and money put into... but its probably a very bad decision.!

So I think to get a "newer" used engine.

Which model year engines fits on my 93 bike?

is anybody selling one?

Comment

Sorry to hear. That sucks big time after all that work.
                              I did an 06 install in my 95. You can use the older carbs and keep your old wiring. What I did was use the 06 wiringg but wired it to my stock ignition. This requires a special in-line resistor of a specific rating to bypass the security.
                              My reasoning was I despise the old style carbs. I have a mint 01 bike now tho. Feel free to ask me any questions

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

Originally posted by Lykkan View Post
                                Sorry to hear. That sucks big time after all that work.
                                I did an 06 install in my 95. You can use the older carbs and keep your old wiring. What I did was use the 06 wiringg but wired it to my stock ignition. This requires a special in-line resistor of a specific rating to bypass the security.
                                My reasoning was I despise the old style carbs. I have a mint 01 bike now tho. Feel free to ask me any questions
                                Thanks for the answer!!

I was using this thread as a reference http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=49487

I would keep the old wiring and carbs from my 93 and just make a clean and simple swap.

looking at the 06 engine model, there 4 tubes underneath each exhaust port, which are not present in models before 06. Any ideas what they are for? can they removed?

Comment

Working...
                                X