X

94 GSX750F 'Fighter Project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 GSX750F 'Fighter Project

I bought this little heap of shit 2 weeks ago, She's a 1994 GSX750F with 10,586 miles, had been sitting in a motorcycle shop to be used for parts, but the idea was scrapped 4-5 years ago, & the bike just sat there. I found her through a buddy of mine, & paid a whole whopping $350.00 for her with a title.

Before taking possession of the bike, I was told it is NOT running because the fuel petcock had been removed and salvaged, & it needed new coils/plugs. The bike WILL however turn over and has GREAT compression. The transmission will also cycle through all gears, breaks aren't clogged, & the air was even still in the tires and holding (the bike had been on stands) The tires ARE dry-rotted though, so that will be an easy replacement.

The gas tank is obviously bent to hell & back, & was incredibly rusty, so I opted to simply buy a used on from eBay ($100 shipped to Mississippi) with no signs of rust, or cosmetic issues, & has GREAT paint as well!

My plans for the bike are to make her into a 'fighter, simply because I rather enjoy working on bikes, & love to walk away from a project KNOWING that its a creation of my own design. All 'fighter-builders out there know what I mean...putting the work into it yourself, then having someone freak out over the details is enough to quite frankly give you the satisfaction of the knowledge that not everyone is dedicated, or talented enough to do what we love to do.

Enough talk/chatter...you are here to see the bike/build, so lets get to it!!!

The Kat as advertised:

After I got her home, & started to tear her to pieces

The carbs/engine are SURPRISINGLY CLEAN!!!! :bunny2:bunny2:bunny2

A pile of "useless junk" that will never be placed on this Kat again....

Here she is all shy, & naked....

To add insult to injury, I pulled her legs off too...just like we did to our sister's barbie dolls...

Now she is ready to start on the re-build...MY FAVORITE PART!!!!

Stay tuned for updates, ideas, & the build overall...thanks for stopping by, & feel free to leave comments/suggestions/etc...THANKS again!!!

The gas tank, coils/wires, new wiring harness, and a few other goodies will be here tomorrow, so I will have pics of the re-build up VERY SOON!!!!!
    Last edited by Kat_Bobber94; 09-26-2013, 03:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    '94 GSX750F StreetFighter
    ***Under Con/(de)struction***

Frame/engine has been painted. I chose to go with matte black on the engine, & gloss black on the frame to cause a noticeable "contrast" between the two. The tank is red, & I will be adding red/copper highlights throughout the bike as well, incorporating the scheme overall.

Yes, I realize the sub-frame looks REALLY short, it is intended to be that way...I will have updates soon on the seat, etc...I think it is a pretty intuitive/creative design...never seen it done before, so I hope it is a "fresh" take on how to make a bike unique...can't give away the idea right now, but I do want to leave y'all with that little "teaser".

Comment

Im really not liking the flat black motor. Think you woulda been better off in a semi or something, and you didnt even take the carbs off! lol

Interested in what your going to do with the seat.
      1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
      fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
      55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
      R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
      Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

I originally had painted my engine a more flat black, but instead went and got another semigloss engine black and like it much more.

Also you'll want to find a stock airbox. The carbs don't like pods. Do searching and you'll find out why, but take our word on it.

Looking forward to seeing the results. I'm currently SF'ing my bike.
        First motorcycle - new project
        1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

I hope your not keeping the pods, if you are, don't come running for help here.....lol ( I'll help now, before you get to that point). Those will cause You to pull your hair out figuring out why it runs like shit. use the stock airbox and stock type filter for best performance, yeah, we know it looks cool and the air box doesn't fit the project.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
            Im really not liking the flat black motor. Think you woulda been better off in a semi or something, and you didnt even take the carbs off! lol

Interested in what your going to do with the seat.
            Hahaha...yea, I left the carbs on so it would "flow" with the rest of the bike, & the pods would stand out even more...LOL

Originally posted by MEngineer View Post
            I originally had painted my engine a more flat black, but instead went and got another semigloss engine black and like it much more.

Also you'll want to find a stock airbox. The carbs don't like pods. Do searching and you'll find out why, but take our word on it.

Looking forward to seeing the results. I'm currently SF'ing my bike.

I struggled with the idea of going with semi-gloss instead of Matte....and I might still, IDK yet...prob sticking with the matte for now though....do you have a thread on here where you are SF'ing your Kat? I'd like to follow it...

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            I hope your not keeping the pods, if you are, don't come running for help here.....lol ( I'll help now, before you get to that point). Those will cause You to pull your hair out figuring out why it runs like shit. use the stock airbox and stock type filter for best performance, yeah, we know it looks cool and the air box doesn't fit the project.
            Yea, I still have the stock OEM airbox, & after doing some reading on here, I came across SEVERAL posts where the members were complaining about the engine running like sh!t...guess I'm going to have to go back to the stock, or deal with early baldness/rebuilding them from the floats up...
            Last edited by Kat_Bobber94; 09-27-2013, 08:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Kat_Bobber94 View Post
              Hahaha...yea, I left the carbs on so it would "flow" with the rest of the bike, & the pods would stand out even more...LOL

I struggled with the idea of going with semi-gloss instead of Matte....and I might still, IDK yet...prob sticking with the matte for now though....do you have a thread on here where you are SF'ing your Kat? I'd like to follow it...

Yea, I still have the stock OEM airbox, & after doing some reading on here, I came across SEVERAL posts where the members were complaining about the engine running like sh!t...guess I'm going to have to go back to the stock, or deal with early baldness/rebuilding them from the floats up...
              I don't actually have a build thread, I'm really bad at taking pictures. Just kind of working on it.
              First motorcycle - new project
              1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

Hell just throw up a few pics every now and then...riders on KR are pretty supportive...

Update: I pit the motor back under my girl today...tomorrow, allllll of the wiring is being reinstalled, etc...I'll have pics up soon!!! Waiting for my seat to get here, then I'll start fabricating the seat mounts, and preparing it for install...

Comment

Interested to see how the seat goes. Post some pics!
                  1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
                  fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
                  55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
                  R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
                  Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

Don't throw your fairings, someone here will buy them.
                    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

nice find

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
                        Interested to see how the seat goes. Post some pics!
                        Hahaha...it's not even CLOSE to being finished yet...but I will post up the idea...pics coming in 10 minutes...

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                        Don't throw your fairings, someone here will buy them.
                        I'm thinking about cutting them down, & using them on the build...

Originally posted by Jreid843 View Post
                        nice find
                        Thanks Jreid...I thought I was pretty lucky as well.

*******Update******

Got the "seat" in yesterday...the skirts will be removed from the saddle, the forks will be flattened out a little bit to better fit the contour of the tank, and the original seat mount will be attached to the bottom of the tank so it can be removed like the stock seat as well...She's coming along...Still needing 1 airbox boot/throttle cable, & she will be ready to roll!!!!

The seat may not be AS original as I thought...perhaps you have seen something similar to it, IDK...but I thought it was a pretty unique idea...ideas...opinions...comments...???? Thanks for following!!!

Last edited by Kat_Bobber94; 10-01-2013, 11:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Also. As far as the subframe length goes...I'm preeeeeeeeeeety sure I wont need to weld any support mounts on the bike, considering the subframe is only 8" now...BUT, offer up your ideas on that as well...I weigh 175lbs...I find it very hard to believe that my weight combined with air-flow pushing against my body (creating downforce on the seat) will break those THICK welds that hold the subframe to the frame itself...however, your ideas/suggestions would be appreciated in that regard as well...I could see a viable concern if the seat were longer...but since the seat itself is only 13", & more than half of that is sitting over the frame welds (8") I should be ok, right...? I'm asking cause, I don't really relish the idea of wearing my asshole as a bib in the unlikely event that the welds break on the subframe, & I find myself sitting on a revolving rubber seat spinning at 75-100MPH

On a side-note...how many times can you say "subframe" in one post...allllll together now...lol

Comment

It's not the welds... It's the pipe bending you need to worry about.

Take a section of the pipe from the frame you cut off. Measure out the 8" or so you say you have left on the bike on the old piece.

How much weight/pressure does it take to flex the pipe? ... bend the pipe?

Remember to factor in any excess length over the subframe that could be used to add leverage to that.

Then you will know.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                              It's not the welds... It's the pipe bending you need to worry about.
                              Take a section of the pipe from the frame you cut off. Measure out the 8" or so you say you have left on the bike on the old piece.
                              How much weight/pressure does it take to flex the pipe? ... bend the pipe?
                              Remember to factor in any excess length over the subframe that could be used to add leverage to that.
                              Then you will know.

Krey

Gotcha...Will do! Seems to be a simple solution...I want to keep the bike as "clean" as possible without having to add to the already ugly naked frame of the Kat. But I also want to make sure my machine isn't a hazard to myself, or others while in operation...Thanks for the suggestion Krey!

Comment

Working...
                              X