X

Removing the air box

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the air box

So I got a question for anyone that has taken out the big, clunky air box and swapped it for those tiny, sexy air filters. What do you do with the breather hose? Do you hook it to something else or just leave it hanging? I have a 94 Katana 600 that I'd like to do the swap on. And I already know that I'll need to re-jet.

rob
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. And bears.

simple: don't do the swap

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Rob View Post
      So I got a question for anyone that has taken out the big, clunky air box and swapped it for those tiny, sexy air filters. What do you do with the breather hose? Do you hook it to something else or just leave it hanging? I have a 94 Katana 600 that I'd like to do the swap on. And I already know that I'll need to re-jet.

rob
      You end up getting a breather filter... looks like this installed.

It needs to be cleaned on a very regular basis... or it will drip oil/gas everywhere and collects alot of dirt/dust on it too.

As for the pods... your bike won't run right or nearly as well as it could with the box. I know your probably gonna still use them, and I'm sure you can get the bike to go on it's own... but it won't ever have the full performance you would get with keeping the stock airbox and OEM equiv filter.

Most people can't get them to work well enough for the bike to even run well enough for basic riding...

It's not as much a tuning issue, its significantly more about the fundementals of how the carbs work with the engine and needing the correct air flow and proper back pressure, none of which the pods give.

krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

tanks fer nuttin'

Originally posted by 06kat06g6 View Post
        simple: don't do the swap
        Wow. Really. That wasn't even close to an answer to my question. A random tapping of gibberish on the keyboard would have been equally as helpful.

But, hey, at least you were quick about it.

rob

Thanks Krey. That was exactly what I needed. I suspected it may be something like that, but I'm a bit new to the streetfighter/modding scene and I needed to hear it from someone in the know. The subject line was not for your post. It was for the last guy. The board decided to combine the two replies.
        Last edited by Uncle Rob; 06-28-2013, 11:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. And bears.

Comment

my post was simply said to avoid the massive troubles you have ahead of yourself...sorry?

Comment

Katanas don't do well with pod filters. I hate the look of that big air box. A guy on customfighters made his own. Looks cool, I plan on making one for mine too.
            2005 Gsx600f- My baby
            1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
            Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

You want your bike to run correctly with pod filters? Get a set of RS34 carbs:
              The finest in motorcycle performance products for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha

If your just doing it for looks, you already have a "street fighter". How much worse can the air box make it look.

Comment

my bad for the old thread, but a couple of questions.

Would it be possible to find a vacuum machine to measure the amount of air pulled through the stock box and filter at any given rpm?

If so, wouldn't it be possible to match the vacuum by building a custom box/filter setup that's not stock?

Comment

Starting your own thread for this would net you a better outcome.

Comment

Working...
                  X