Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Can anybody fabricate metal gauge holders?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anybody fabricate metal gauge holders?

Hi KR,

I'm in the process of streetfightering my bike and my friend (who I usually go to for metal fab work) is in the process of moving. I am trying to get my bike ready to ride since riding season is upon us. Does anybody offer metal fab work? I'm looking for something simple, just like my attached picture. PM me if you can, thanks!

the second pic is from ITSSLOW and the first is from BIG_KAT

thanks!
    Attached Files

A vise and some steel stock would get that done. It would be easier for you to do, because your going to have to bend and then match to the bike and guages until you get it where you want it. use the clip-on bolt to hold the fabbed bracket. I would weld a steel ring from a piece of pipe to the bracket to hold the guage.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

You'd be better off making the bracket out of aluminum. Visit your local recycling yard and ask for an old street sign. It's the world's greatest bracket material. Easy to cut with a scroll saw , hack saw or even a coping saw if you want to cut holes for the gauges to drop into and you can bend it easily with a vise (or a block of wood and some C-clamps to hold everything down to a workbench), a block of wood and a hammer. Just don't try to bend it back. You can bend it once but bending back tends to crack it. Smooth the edges with a file.

Aluminum is much easier to cut than steel and it's stiffer so it doesn't bounce as much.

You could modify the design in your first picture by bending the bracket back forward and cutting holes for the gauges to drop into. Cut out a section of the bracket and epoxy (or weld-braze, actually, using those aluminum "welding rods" from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece...ods-44810.html some aluminum spacers from the hardware store and use a bolt to pinch the bracket around the gauges.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Bill, those rods work pretty well? I use my mig for steel but those would make a nice alternative for me for aluminum.
        94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

I've heard they work great. The one time I tried using them was on an intake manifold (5.4L engine) and my propane torch wasn't enough to heat up that big a chunk of metal. Now that I have a MAAP torch I'll have to get some more rods and try it on something smaller.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

thanks everyone! i will do and report back!

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
              I've heard they work great. The one time I tried using them was on an intake manifold (5.4L engine) and my propane torch wasn't enough to heat up that big a chunk of metal. Now that I have a MAAP torch I'll have to get some more rods and try it on something smaller.
              I use that alot but not from harbour frieght, didn't know they sold it. I order it by the pound. i think its Alumaweld. great stuff. repaired a typhoon intake on the mustang with it
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

What did you use for a torch? I was working on a Crown Vic. We started out with MAAP/Oxy but ran out of O2. The store was closed so we tried with propane but it wasn't hot enough. It was the first time I'd tried those rods so confidence was low to start with and when it didn't work we quit while we were behind and took it to a pro.

Now I've got my own MAAP/Oxy rig and I've been learning how to use it. I'd love to be able to do brazing on Aluminum since, as I stated, it's the world's best bracket material.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                  What did you use for a torch? I was working on a Crown Vic. We started out with MAAP/Oxy but ran out of O2. The store was closed so we tried with propane but it wasn't hot enough. It was the first time I'd tried those rods so confidence was low to start with and when it didn't work we quit while we were behind and took it to a pro.

Now I've got my own MAAP/Oxy rig and I've been learning how to use it. I'd love to be able to do brazing on Aluminum since, as I stated, it's the world's best bracket material.
                  On the intake? Propane takes too long to get hot. I used straight mapp gas. you have to sand the coating off or it doesn't stick well and if you over heat it it wont stick either. I didn't think it was coated either till i sanded the area. Propane should work great on thin metal.
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

Won't be messing with that intake anymore. My buddy sold that car a few years ago. Next try will be on some street sign material.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Great tips fellas! I know its got me rattling some new ideas around my head lol
                      94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

I found an online source saying you could source a 1989 gsxr 750 gauge holder and that it will bolt right on.. problem is it is quite expensive. Ill keep you guys updated

and its not because I don't want to fab my own, but with work and school and a long distance girlfriend, I barely have any time to spare =/

here you go: http://www.customfighters.com/forums...7&postcount=11
                        or

Part number 5

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
                        Last edited by xredjokerx; 03-13-2013, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Update on the GSXR mount.

The gauges don't fit directly in, but can be retrofitted with steel ties.

You will need to bend the mounting point to widen it about an inch

Otherwise, fits two gauges great but make sure you have a short headlight--I have a headlight that is kinda long, and so it doesnt fit and I hadto take it the gauges off.. looking for an alternative now.. sigh

Comment

Working...
                          X