X

Project Blacklight (another 600)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Blacklight (another 600)

Well this will be my first project. I bought the bike for 200 bucks with a clean title. PO chopped the plastics, some of the rear frame and lost the front fender. So Im going to take it where he wanted to. Eventually everything will be a flat black, some style of halo twin headlights, maybe some LEDs hidden under the tank. Other than that 2nd gear is gone but other than that it runs fine. Cant decide if I want to get into fixing the gearing or trying to find a 750 or bigger motor for it. Fork seals need to be replaced. Needs chain, sprockets, gauges, lights, turn signals, tires, pipe, rear frame section fixed and I am sure a million other things. Thinking about using a super trapp, just cause I dont see them, my other idea was to fab a glass pack in. Any ideas or tips, feel free to chime in, I welcome it.

Its a mess, but that makes it all the more interesting right?

WOW....the PO did quite a number on it. Looks like it could be fixed. Good price at least. I paid $500 for my 93 and I still can't get the thing to start.

Comment

Looks pretty rough. You know what you're getting into, right?
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Trans issue is simple enough to fix. If your not feeling daunted by fixing that mess, then the tranny work will be cake.

Please fix the sub frame support before ridding or putting much weight on that seat. It WILL collapse on you at the most unepected time. (I've seen this happen ...)

I'd suggest trimming the sub frame section that wasn't cut off where the rear sets attatch, and clean that up. Weld on a new bolt on point to match some SS rearsets on it and that will open up all kinds of options on doing swingarm mods with 5.5" rear rims fitted. Even if you don't do that, it sitll makes it look alot cleaner.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yeah, I just put it in my living room so I can start to work on it again. Single 21 year old, what else would i do? Hahaha. Yeah I can tell this will be a lot of man hours. Starting to strip it down to a rolling frame today. Once that is done I will load it up and take it to the shop to weld supports back in to the sub frame then clean it all up and paint it. Now I can build a car start to finish but this is my first bike, so I will admit I don't know everything but am no slouch when it comes to wrenching. Now I can collapse the forks under my own weight, not sure if there is any oil in them or not, is this repairable just by doing seals or is it more? And if anyone has a how to for the trans issue Id appreciate it. Ill update with pics once i get more done.

Comment

Sounds like alot of fun cant wait to see some pic of when its done when you decide what your gonna do with it

Comment

Well its already just about set to pull the motor, just gotta take of the header, drain fluids and pull the cooler. That was a lot quicker than I ever imagined. But I found some broken bolt holes, and was reminded that the sprocket cover is broken. Another motor is sounding better and better. If I get a new motor Ill try to go for bigger is better, though I am unsure of what will fit in that frame safely. Anyways heres some pics.
              [IMG][/IMG]
              Also again with the forks, I can collapse them just by leaning on them, and the seals look rotted and dry. Is this just a seals fix or is it more?

Comment

From the sound of it, the forks need a complete rebuild. There's no telling if the internals are good or bad at this point. Taking them apart is the only way of knowing. If I were you, I would just rebuild them anyway.
                Just remember, you might be changing both forks and rear shock to compensate for the added motor weight if you choose a larger motor.

Sent from my phone

Comment

Go as big as you can afford on the engine if you're gonna put in the work.

Sounds like a fork rebuild is in your future, might as well upgrade the rear shock while you're at it and get some SS brake lines.

And wow, what idiot thought it was a good idea to just cut the subframe support off?
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

looking at those pics of the sprocket I'd say DEFINETLY at LEAST change the bearing n seals plus the thin plate over em.
                    Honestly though if I were you I'd get a new motor...at least another 600 (then you have parts motor). I had that bearing fail on mine on the highway, very glad the wheel didnt lock up! I bought a parts bike an good motor.
                    94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Well just got the header off and draining oil today. Kinda feeling down and out so not much work done.

Comment

C'mon Bro' don't be down... pickup something from your bike and make it shiny and sparkly just like new again and you'll soon feel better - works for me just finished re-spraying my frame so I'm almost ready to rebuild my bike - couldn't feel better right now

Good luck, Engelskmannen.
                        Carpe Jugulum...
                        1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Well didn't very far today either, just managed to smash my fingers and knuckles all up trying to break the motor mount bolts loose. Now soaking it with pb blaster and will try again tomorrow with a breaker bar I'll be borrowing from the shop over the weekend. My hope is to be able to bring my frame with me to work by monday, so I can clean it all up, sand and paint it there. Well after fixing the "subframe."

Comment

I would soak the bolts in PB for a few days then either get a cheap impact driver or just get a piece of pipe to break the bolts. But deff let the bolts soak for a while.

Comment

Air impact driver makes all those really easy, and helps prevent rounding off of bolts.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                              X