Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Will 88 Katana GSX F Guages work on my 99 GSX F?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will 88 Katana GSX F Guages work on my 99 GSX F?

I am street fightering my bike and am trying to get some pod style gauges, I have found some for cheap on ebay but they are from a 1988. With a bit of wiring does anyone know if they will work?

Thanks

yes and no... I do believe the fuel gauge will work along with the tach gauge(not 100% sure but fairly confident on this). But the speedo on the 88 is gear driven off the front wheel while the 99 is driven off the hall effect sensor on the counter sprocket. now IDK if the speedo gear drive fits onto the 99 wheel and axle assembly but my instincts tell me no, not with out more modification than what it is worth.

Some one will chime in to confirm or deny this 100% either way.
    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
    Tony
    94 Katana 600

Comment

On 88-97 the speed is read of the front wheel. On 98-06 is is read off the speed sensor rotor on the transmission out put shaft. To make the early gauges work on your bike, you would need to get the 88-97 speed sensor and cable. It's not hard to do that part, but wiring is a different story.
      wiring cross over, pre gauges on a post wiring harness

Comment

Thanks gents for the input, I may just use the tach and the gas gauge and find something more suitable for the speed, what you think?

Comment

I think in doing that, you avoid the easy part and you still have wiring fun to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            I think in doing that, you avoid the easy part and you still have wiring fun to deal with.
            So you think it would be easier and do-able to use all three and just work at it until they are operating?

Comment

Yes, anything is do-able. You just have to be smarter than the wiring harness.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                Yes, anything is do-able. You just have to be smarter than the wiring harness.
                Ha ha thank you for the advice, I am relatively new to everything but have a few friends that are very knowledgeable and experienced in what I am trying to do so they are helping me a long the way.

I just made my own fender eliminator myself however so I am making progress. I just need a front headlight and the gauges and it should be road legal, after that I need some good insurance and I am able to ride again.

Any other tips on anything else I may have over seen?

Comment

I gave you the wiring cross-over to do that. That takes all the work out of it. Just follow the directions.

Comment

The speedo drive hub will fit your front wheel fine. 98-02 Kats got the electronic speedo but still had the nubs in the front wheel to drive a mechanical speedo. Might have to play with spacers although I doubt it.

After that, the electrical work for the speedo is just a matter of powering the backlights.
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                      The speedo drive hub will fit your front wheel fine. 98-02 Kats got the electronic speedo but still had the nubs in the front wheel to drive a mechanical speedo. Might have to play with spacers although I doubt it.

After that, the electrical work for the speedo is just a matter of powering the backlights.
                      Sorry powering the back lights? I really apologies about my lack of knowledge.

Comment

The lights on the backside of the gauges. Let you see your speedo at night.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Ah ok got you now, that makes sense. I took it out today for a quick ride and it is handling and riding great, just dont have any gauges or a headlight so can't go to far. I am addicted to this bike stuff!

Comment

Mods are fun, aren't they? I'm not really into fighters but it's really tempting to build one so I can do whatever without having to fuss about trying to keep things pretty.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

If I wanted to build an ugly bike, I'd just leave a Katana stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X