No announcement yet.
X

92 750 Build

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will you do with what's left of the 750? Is it a post or pre?
    I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
    -Unholy m-
    Current project: Un-Katchable
    sigpic

Comment

• It's a pre. Don't really have any plans with that motor

Swapped the engine cradle over to the 1200 and bolted her in the frame. Love how you can't tell the difference at a glance.

I will have to notch this crossmember a little to be able to bolt the breather on. Not a big deal though. Once that is done I can check to see if my mount for the projector ballast still fits. I think it was real close to the breather before and might not clear with the taller deck of the motor.

Last edited by 92GSX750; 10-22-2012, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• Took the breather to work today. In order to use the shorter Kat one, I had to notch out for 2 screws that the bandit valve cover has. Took the bandit gasket and used it for my template. A quick drop with the end mill and wala

Sand blasted it afterwards, just need the gasket to install

Comment

• Time to update this. The notch for the breather is done

Also striped the paint from the undertail to finish the body work

Got the filler on and sanded.

Primed the tail and removed a couple unnecessary brackets in the motor compartment

Once the primer was dry I started scrubbing the frame to remove the oil and other Crap. After a few minutes I changed my mind and took the frame up to the car wash. Hot soapy pressureized water made quick work of that. The frame is now hanging, drying from the paint. I sprayed it the same color, semi gloss black. As soon as she dries I'll start reassembly

Comment

• Best thread on KR, cant wait to see more progress pics man she is sweet!

Comment

• Progress is slow, bit I'm getting there. Got the carbs rebuilt last night

And installed

Comment

• Made some progress this weekend. Decided to stick with the Kat harness for now. Really just want to ride again, been too long already. In order to do that I had to swap gears on the alternators so I could use the Kats alternator.

Had a broken exhaust bolt that I forgot about. Little bugger fought a real good fight. Wound up having to drill and retap the hole. Then I moved on to mounting the Yosh header. It fit fine and cleared everywhere but the mid pipe and can was hitting the rearset bad. I tried a bandit header I have but that created more problems. So, I decided to mount the exhaust starting from the rear and working forward. Doing so insured that I wouldn't have to rework the entire system, just the front as you can tell in this pic

Both headers I have, happened to have similar tube sizes. One is metric and one is standard tubing, so they are slightly different. What I decided to do was butcher the bandit header to lengthen the Yosh header.

After a little tweaking and bending, I was able to get it tacked in place. The welds will be done at work tomorrow and should be interesting. Carbon steel to stainless steel with a little ceramic coating mixed in the puddle for good measure

Once that was done, I got the frontend fully installed with the newer switch gear. Going to stick with a cable clutch for now, simply because I have everything I need for that

There is finally light at the end of the tunnel and soon I will be back on 2 wheels. Just need to sort out the choke and throttle cables. Everything I have is coming up short. There is a guy somewhat local, that's parting out a bandit. Hopefully he still has the cables I need. If not ill have to order some

Comment

• any other pics of that gauge mount setup?

Comment

• If you look on page 10 post #100, you can see to other side better. Just a bucket I made for the tach welded to the upper triple with a tab welded to that for the Koso gauge. Going to ditch the tach from the setup soon though

Comment

• great, thanks. yeah, i was thinking the spot could be better used for another gauge.
                      great build, very inspiring.

Comment

• I'm debating on installing a stabalizer. My wheelbase is short, add this motor, and wheelies are a sure thing. My trail # is low and tank slappers have already happened. Not sure yet though.

Been working on her today and a little bit at work this past week. I got the exhaust all welded up. Was not my best work though. That ceramic coating that I couldn't get out really played hell with my TIG welding. But its welded and I painted the pipes flat black

My new/used levers came in yesterday. They are supposed to be black, but they are faded some and look purple-ish.

Also took care of the last notch. I plum forgot about this one till a couple days ago when I went to install this cross brace/ tank support. As you can see it was also hitting the breather cover, a lot.

I was going to just leave it off, but after asking around, it seemed everyone thought it was necessary. So it did it, just to be safe. Only notched it as much as was needed, but you can see there ain't much left of the brace

There is still a few parts I want to repaint like the belly pan and tank. Plus all the little stuff like fluids, double checking bolts, adjusting the chain, and so on. Ordered some bandit cables in hopes of them being the right length. they should be here tomorrow.

Comment

• awesome build,man.giving me inspiration for my 88 600 i am startinglike the tail on your gs in the backgroung
                          1988 katana 600 that wants to grow up to be a streetfighter

Comment

• Thanks bud, that tail is a GS550 replica, hand fabricated out of sheetmetal. Lots of hours spent on that one.

As for this build, been working on her the past few hours. Hit 2 slight setbacks that will hold me back for a bit. First the chain alignment is off by about 3/32". Seems the bandit spacer behind the C/S sprocket is longer than the stock Kat one was, putting the chain in the frame rails. I'll take it into work Monday and turn it down on the lathe.

The other problem is that the 750 oil cooler doesn't fit any more. The bottom of the cooler is hitting the header. Not sure what I'm going to do about that just yet. I don't think there is enough material on the bottom of the cooler to remove.

On a good note, the bandit throttle cables and choke cable worked great. Swapped the 750 oil pan and pickup over to the bandit motor also. The bandit pan had a crack in it. The wiring is also done now except for the new switch gear.

Comment

• after you get it all sorted out and want a little more grunt,i read on here that if you bolt on a 85-88(i think) or 90-92 gsxr750 head you can get about 30 or so more hp.i plan on getting a cylinder,pistons and head from one for my 600 motor because i need a whole top end anyway and the 600 is just a sleeved down 750.i bought my bike without a head and the 3rd piston was stuck in it's sleeve.stupid me broke a few fins getting it apart,but it would have needed to been re-sleeved anyway because the cylinders are nikasil coated so i guess i will win in the end.i read that i will have to use the 600 cam gears unless i get a 750 cam chain,but that is no big deal as i have the cams and all the valves,just no head.from the work you have done so far,you will figure it out.hand fabbed out of sheetmetal,wow!nice work.i might be able to do it in glass,but not metal

was comparing the differences between gsx750 oil cooler and 1200 bandit cooler on ebay and bandit cooler looks smaller.something to look into
                              Last edited by OleDirtyDoc; 11-25-2012, 12:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              1988 katana 600 that wants to grow up to be a streetfighter

Comment

• Finishing up the last pieces of the puzzle here. The oil cooler delima has been solved. Just bolted the top and bent the bottom out. After Christmas I plan to swap to the smaller bandit cooler or just pony up on a nice Earls cooler.

Last night I stayed at work and played on the lathe and mill. Had to drill and tap some holes in my bars for the mirrors.

I also started working on the frame mount for the factory Ohlins steering damper I pulled from my 09 zx6r. About the only place I found that would work for the damper and that I liked was at the triple just like it was stock on the zx6r. This bracket is designed to go around the top of the neck and come up between the tank and triple. I'm still unsure at this point, if I will weld it on or tap the bracket with some set screws.

Comment

Working...
                                X