• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

excellent work man! definitely keep it up and keep us posted. i'm envious
    2001 GSX600F

Comment

Originally posted by joedan View Post
      how did you prep the tank for welding? If i tried to do that where i take welding classes, the instructors would give me the worse evil eye for bringing it up, then make me do like a 20 hr rinsing process. very nice work!
      I removed the cap and tap so i could get every bit of fuel out that was possible,Then i left the tank for a couple of days to dry out and then before welding i put it in the middle of my garden stood well back and lit it up.And there you go 2 seconds and all fumes gone.
      I wouldn't recommend doing this to anyone its just the method i used

Comment

Very good work man!!!

Comment

Originally posted by joedan View Post
          how did you prep the tank for welding? If i tried to do that where i take welding classes, the instructors would give me the worse evil eye for bringing it up, then make me do like a 20 hr rinsing process. very nice work!
          Originally posted by Jarvo View Post
          I removed the cap and tap so i could get every bit of fuel out that was possible,Then i left the tank for a couple of days to dry out and then before welding i put it in the middle of my garden stood well back and lit it up.And there you go 2 seconds and all fumes gone.
          I wouldn't recommend doing this to anyone its just the method i used

Wash tank with desgreaser, rinse well.

Fill tank with water, and weld. (water displaces any fumes that would potentially build up).

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I learned to hard way about gas tanks. Blew one up as soon as I pulled the MIG trigger. Needless to say I am alot more carefull now. As Kreylyn said get as much fuel out as possible. Unfortunately metal is porous and no matter how much cleaning you do there will still be some leftover fumes. I will fill the tank with water about 3/4 full after a good cleaning. Once its almost full I will take a torch and ignite the remaining gas. The water keeps the tank from exploding and what you will see is the water bubble up from the remaining fumes being burned out. I have done this method many a times with no unsuccessful attempts.

If you keep the tank full of water, the water will act like a heat sink and help fight warpage and blow thru from the thin sheet metal getting too hot

Comment

Bit of an update
              Made a single seat cowl today from scrap metal got the shape close as i could and a skim of body filler should sort the rest.
              I also have fitted new float needles in the carbs and got the bike running again,also changed oil and filter.
              Jobs left to do are:
              1:sync carbs
              2:re-build pet cock
              3:re-build rear master cylinder
              4aint job
              5:final checks before mot
              Hopefully ill get all this done before summer's over so i can get some riding in.

Comment

You wouldn't be able to go into further detail on how you did the fiberglass case, more specifically how you made the case and what you put on it in order to be able to separate the fiberglass from the cardboard. I haven't worked with fiberglass so any tips or details would be helpful. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by judstirber View Post
                  You wouldn't be able to go into further detail on how you did the fiberglass case, more specifically how you made the case and what you put on it in order to be able to separate the fiberglass from the cardboard. I haven't worked with fiberglass so any tips or details would be helpful. Thanks.

Hi mate yes its real simple i just made the shape that i wanted from a serial box and sticky tape then covered the whole thing in resin and glass mat.
                  You want at least a couple of layers and also paint some resin over the card on the inside to stiffen it more,no need for mat in their though.
                  And finally i covered the whole thing with body filler and sanded to a smooth finish ready for paint,hope this helps

Comment

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                    mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I thought he was talking about my speedo gauge case not my solo seat cuz thats made from steel

Comment

i saw solo cowl followed by fiberglass
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

made a start on my paint! Basecoat now done.
                          I have plans for a design but keeping it a secret

Comment

Looking Good!

Comment

http://www.wickedelements.com

^^^^^^

Comment

awesome where your going with this project. after i get my kat on the road(legally haha) im gonna buy a project i can go streetfighter with. love the look of a naked bike

Comment

Working...
                                X