X

new bike new rider 94 katana 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new bike new rider 94 katana 600

just picked up a bike I want to fix up. it's a 94 600 katana. new to bikes so if you guys could help me out thad be great. sounds like it needs to be tuned up (what does this entail on a bike?) runs a little rough. looks like it's leaking trans fluid underneath. the front is messed up (forks?). tire points to the right slightly and when I turn it the right handle bar hits the tank a bit and turning it left it seems to be ok. idk how lined the Chain should be but it doesn't seem real oiled. I'll get picks and know more when I tear into it. thanks for any help.
    also I have a slight amount of rust in the tank. how can this
    be fixed? I have done some searhing, clean or rebuild the petcock? is that correct?
    also what should I do about cleaning out the carbs?
    Last edited by Danalba; 04-27-2011, 05:55 PM.

Welcome. I too am new with a 95 600. Ride safe

Comment

Hi mate - am new here too, got a 92 750, just started to 'fighter it.
      good luck with the project - same to purplekatgirl
      cleaning and synching the carbs, new plugs, oil, fuel & valve clearances should sort the rough running if the engine is basically sound...
      '92 GSX750F 'fighter project
      '83 XV1000 cafe racer project (almost done )

Comment

First of all welcome. Sounds like you've got some work ahead of you. If your tank is rusty you'll have perpetual carb issues, it'll need to be fixed before you run it, eitjer by electrolosis or coated with something. The concensus on the site is por-15 for coating. It also sounds like something has happened to the front forks. Bent or maybe different bars, pics would help us to identify the problem. Tjere is no trans. fluid in your bike, just oil, but you'll need to find the leak and fix it. Hopefully that will be enough info to get you started, and again, welcome to the group, with all the collective info available here, you should be able to address and repair any problems you may run into.
        Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

Internet breakdown, it posted my welcome 3 times. Oops.
          Last edited by 5forty2; 04-29-2011, 02:09 AM.
          Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Comment

Last edited by 5forty2; 04-29-2011, 02:07 AM.

Comment

thanks for the info. how should i go about por 15ing the inside of the tank?

also on the leak what weight oil should i be using? and the color of the fluid was a redish tint just like trans fluid thats what led me to believe thats what it was.
              Last edited by Danalba; 04-29-2011, 11:58 AM.

Comment

I checked out more into the leak. I believe it's coming from further up than the oil pan gasket. it's when I press the clutch in is when I think I'm getting the leaking. any ideas on what would cause this?

Comment

Is it coming from the front or back of the engine? You mentioned that the chain was really oiled. Maybe it's just the extra oil that has gathered in the area where the front sprocket is located and is just dripping out? Could also be a bad seal/gasket or even a crack in the casing. Hard to say without seeing it.

From your description of the front end, it sounds like the bike was in an accident at one point.
                  sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                  1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                  2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                  First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                  Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

bike was def layed down or hit and from the looks more than once. it's coming from the back of the engine. sorry chain IS NOT oiled well. it's coming from just behind the black cover that the clutch mechanism is bolted to. maybe 4 inches or so above the oil pan seal. tinkered with the clutch a little to get it off so I could unbolt the black covering with the holes but haven't gotten it off yet. not positive on how to get that clutch mechanism off. there's only the one bolt but it looks like the end it slips over is to big for it to just slide off. I'll try to get pics up later today with all the issues. fixed the rough running. petcock knob was installed wrong allowing little fuel to flow. arrow was pointed up left and right instead of down left and right

Comment

welcome to KR.

about the front end: the axle may be bent if the tire points in any direction but straight. the bars may be bent if the right side hits the tank (it should have plenty of room)

both the engine and transmition/clutch run off of the same oil (there all in one casing). is it leaking when running? the seal in the clutch rod sounds like its leaking (there is a rod that goes from one side to the otherthat activates the clutch) or the front sprocket seal may be leaking? take the cover off, clean up the extra oil and then look for were its leaking

Tune up: oil change, plugs (inspect first, may not need), clean the carbs, inspect the petcock filter (prob dirty, if soo replace), clean/seal the tank so that the petcock and carbs dont get girty again... the petcock may not be letting enough fuel into the carbs if the filter it too dirty...

Pics really help btw lol
                      Last edited by boomer_95; 05-01-2011, 11:10 AM.
                      if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Originally posted by Danalba View Post
                        ...sorry chain IS NOT oiled well.
                        My bad, I misread what you wrote. I agree with Boomer.
                        sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                        1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                        2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                        First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                        Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

pics coming in a min. boomer took off the clutch basket i believe its called? you hit the nail on the head. may be both of those. and i thinks its both forks and axle. good work diagnosing without pics XD. i dont have it cleaned up in the pics yet. took off the petcock looks real clean. however he had the knob installed wrong. i believe he had the smaller hole feeding the fuel instead of the larger hole. which is what is feeding it when put on right (arrow facing down). as far as leaking while running no, it leaks when i pull in the clutch lever. running or not.

ok first pic...not sure why it wont work here is the link

ok...

Last edited by Danalba; 05-01-2011, 05:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

does look like i was right with the leak.. ok so now what you need is a few cans of brake clean to clean it up.. then let it leak nd that will show you EXACTLY were its leaking from.. that rim may be bent. spin it to see.. if it stays fairly straight the axle is most likly bent.. as far as i can tell the upper tree clamp (were the handle bars attach aka upper tripple clamp) isnt bent. but im just looking at a picture so its hard to tell.. the exahust looks like mine tho haha.. but im not too sure what you mean about the petcock?
                            if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Looks like you've got one heck of a project there!

I know exactly what you meant about the petcock and it sounds like you've got it right now. (Forward for reserve, down for on and back for prime.) That chain is probably going to have to be replaced. Try cleaning the rust off and oiling it though. If you don't have any stiff links you may be able to get by with it for a bit. As for the seal around the clutch pushrod, I think there's an internal seal as well as the one you can see when you take the sprocket cover (That's what it's called. The clutch basket is internal and on the other side of the bike.) off. If replacing the one you can see takes care of the leak I'd wait until the next time you have to open up the engine case before replacing the other one.

Won't even get started on the front end. Best bet may be to replace the forks and triple trees. That left fork looks like it took a pretty good knock. It's doubtful that the handlebar riser is bent but it does look a little like the left handlebar may be bent back a little.

Good luck with this. You're certainly going to know this bike a whole lot better by the time you get her right.
                              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                              X