X

air ducts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air ducts

i would like to turn the space between the frame and the bottom of the gas tank into an air duct, and kinda redirect air away from my knees to under the tank/ motor area. i have a very rough idea of what i want it to look like. what's the cheapest way to mock this up? foam?

I would like to make a mock up or a mold that can be used to make the air duct out of carbon fiber. (I've been keeping an eye on CF for the masses thread.)

Also i have a lot of abs plastic lying around, but i'm not to sure how to go about changing the shape of it. if i could learn how to mold it then it would be a great medium.

any advice is welcome.
    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
    Tony
    94 Katana 600

I am running pods, and thought it may look kinda cool to have somewhat of a ram-air system coming off the sides of the frame rail, and towards the pods (considering the bike didn't have fairings on of course). ABS would prolly be the easiset.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

it wouldn't really function aside from protecting my thighs from the cold and aesthetic value.
      Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
      Tony
      94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
        ...(I've been keeping an eye on CF for the masses thread)...
        I appreciate your interest in the CF thread Ragazzo. Not sure if you've seen the latest post on it or not. I won't be able to do much of anything on it till Dec. I appreciate your support though and hope to get back to it soon.

If your talking about ducts that pretty much go on the inside of the fairings, I would be concerned about the clearance you'll get. Not sure if there is enough room. Butt...If you found the room (maybe 2-3 inches(even if some sections kinda turn into an oval, kinda squashed due to clearance)) it could be possible.

If your looking for carbon fiber or fiberglass, what I would do first is get some Clay or some material you can mold onto the inside of the fairings in the exact shape/direction/path of the ducts. Then once you have it all routed correctly (think about it carefully and from every angle), get started on making a mold of it. Like the process I'm doing in the CF thread.

For what your doing (and with my thread) You have to use your head and think about it throughly. I can explain more in detail if you need me to. Just ask.
        I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
        -Unholy m-
        Current project: Un-Katchable
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgreer23 View Post
          I appreciate your interest in the CF thread Ragazzo. Not sure if you've seen the latest post on it or not. I won't be able to do much of anything on it till Dec. I appreciate your support though and hope to get back to it soon.

If your talking about ducts that pretty much go on the inside of the fairings, I would be concerned about the clearance you'll get. Not sure if there is enough room. Butt...If you found the room (maybe 2-3 inches(even if some sections kinda turn into an oval, kinda squashed due to clearance)) it could be possible.

If your looking for carbon fiber or fiberglass, what I would do first is get some Clay or some material you can mold onto the inside of the fairings in the exact shape/direction/path of the ducts. Then once you have it all routed correctly (think about it carefully and from every angle), get started on making a mold of it. Like the process I'm doing in the CF thread.

For what your doing (and with my thread) You have to use your head and think about it throughly. I can explain more in detail if you need me to. Just ask.
          this is actually in place of the fairings. most street fighter'd kat riders hate the space between the tank and frame because the tank is designed to fit to the fairings.

I'm trying to make a rough mold of what i think would be a good way to cover the ugly sides of the gas tank. there are a lot of ugly (and beautiful) kat fighters around and i'm sure if cost is kept as low as possible and the ducts look cool you could sell them for a lil profit.

so modeling clay is what i should use to mock this up with?
          how does one normally make molds?
          a how to link would be nice. - first time doing anything like this.

considering that this is my first attempt i'm sure i'll muck it up. also i'm very slow at getting anything done cause work / school, so by the time u start working with CF again i might have a rough draft done.

something like that kinda. riders right knee is on it under the tank. i think something like that would look nice. i'm just not sure how to build it.
          Tony
          94 Katana 600

Comment

I see what you mean. Here is a link for a How To for the mold:

And the carbon fiber:

Just scroll to the videos. The part they mold is a light switch cover for a house. What I would do is use modeling clay to make the ducts. Get them sculpted just the way you want. Mold them either by buying that molding kit they sell or ask me for the list of chemicals they have in the kit (probably WAY cheaper that way). Then use the carbon fiber or fiberglass.
            I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
            -Unholy m-
            sigpic

Comment

i was gonna have u do the CF but, i was gonna do the molding process then send u my molds to do what u do best.

thanks for the links i'll give it a shot.
              Tony
              94 Katana 600

Comment

I prefer to use foam instead of clay, but either will work. I considered the same thing you want to do when I was doing the bodywork on mine, but since the scoops would be directly behind the forks/headlight, I figured they would be presented with some funny turbulence, and not make good air intakes. I guess if you were doing them just for decoration it would be ok though.

Foam has the advantage of being able to make very slight changes to it just by rubbing your fingers on it (if you have rough fingers, anyway). The disadvantage is that if you go too far, you can't just pack on some more and go, you have to cut out a section of the foam and glue a new block of it in place.
                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I like your idea for the foam. easier for larger parts rather then clay.
                  -Unholy m-
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X