X

katana or slingshot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• katana or slingshot

can someone clear this up for me got this bike as a sling shot but people are saying its a katana, whos right. rear plastics are off kat , swing arm of kat, front forks off kat all1992 , frame and engine off slingshot (gzx750f )

can anyone verify.

My understanding was the slingshot was just the type of engine, not the bike itself
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

I the slingshot was referring to the carb design of the old late 80's GSX-Rs, as slingshot describes the cross section of the semi-flat slide carbs.
      But from what it looks like you've got yourself a tarted up post-98 F streetfighter.
      Last edited by Wolfe_UK; 07-06-2010, 04:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Looks like a street fightered Kat to me... Kinda dig the front "fairing".
        sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
        '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
        '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

cheers ,so it looks like its a kat, all mods were completed 2 weeks ago by my mate freaky, all designed with cardboard and then glassed over ( built in his bedroom ), THEN SWOPPED IT

Comment

i def dig the front plastic and lights

Comment

"Slingshot" refers to the engine/carb setup for some 750 motors designed by suzuki in the mid 80s, and used into the early 90s. Primarily used as a performance boost for the GSXRs... as we all know, the (then) newly redesigned Katana borrowed heavily from the GSXRs powerplant.

"Katana" is a bit of americanized branding. Many many bikes are branded or named differently here in the US than other places. Most of the bikes sold that were GSXFs in europe and other parts of the world were never branded "Katana" at all.

That "branding" varied from country to country... So in the late 80s and early 90s, there were GSXFs that were equipted with the 750 "Slingshot" design motors. I have seen pictures of factory decals on european GSXFs with the "750 Slingshot" design on the tail sections. I believe these were done from 89-92.

As for the bike in question... this is what I can see from it...

It's definately a 89- 97 design GSXF frame, 750 model originally, heavily modified. The seats have been swapped (possible tail swap like I did?) to that of a 600, but the front footpeg bracket definatley gives it away as a 750 frame.

I believe technically that any 750 motor Suzuki fitted up with the "S1" stamped head was a "slingshot" powerplant. How much detuning on the cams they did still for the Kat engines I don't know specifically, but... That is one of the reasons that stamped head on the motor is so desired for engine mods. The slingshot motors were setup with different bore X strokes than that of the other motors at the time. I believe the typical setup was 70mm x 48.7mm and the slingshot setup was 73mm x 44.7mm. Due to the change, a redesign on the carbs were done as well for the GSXRs and so you had ram air tubes that forced air into the airbox where it turned 180 (slingshot effect) and was almost a forced air induction into the semi-flatside carbs (slingshot carbs).

Again, with the terminology.. a name many times gets atributed to many things.... so not only was the engine with the "S1" head called the "slingshot motor" but the carbs designed for high performance were also called the "Slingshot carbs"....

I do not believe the slingshot carbs were put on the GSXF slingshot motors, when installed in the GSXF frames, so you don't get the full "effect" of the design. Remember, the GSXF bikes are detuned for a smoother more touring performance.

***Edit to add pics...

Link to a couple of scans of brochures... http://www.suzukicycles.org/GSX-seri...rochures.shtml

Krey
              Last edited by Kreylyn; 07-06-2010, 11:54 AM.
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

the silver one is identical to the bike he modified ,even down to the colour, no s1 marking on heads
                Last edited by little intruder; 07-06-2010, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I really dig it!!!

Comment

I believe the proper name for the Katana in the UK is the "teapot"
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Thank you Kreylyn, I was unsure what differences there was. My DR750 is sometimes reffered to as a slingshot ???. The frame gives it away as a Kat , Teapot (UK). I like the look of Intruders bike , nice
                      if your not living on the edge
                      you take up too much room

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        "Slingshot" refers to the engine/carb setup for some 750 motors designed by suzuki in the mid 80s...

I believe technically that any 750 motor Suzuki fitted up with the "S1" stamped head was a "slingshot" powerplant.
                        If the head is stamped "S1", where would I find it. I recently picked up an '89 750 that was hiding inside some 600 body work and am trying to figure out exactly what I have.

Thanks

Comment

Cylinder head over No.3 carb rubber
                          if your not living on the edge
                          you take up too much room

Comment

ya, that is a very cool "fairing" on the front!
                            FunEMT
                            2000 Katana 600

Comment

Interesting...

Comment

Working...
                              X