X

exhaust question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust question

i have a 1989 katana 750 it has dual glasspack exhaust and i think it is tuned to that exhaust but i wanna bring it to single exhaust with origional muffler will i need to rejet or tune the carbs for that? please lmk thanks in advance

As with most mods, 'it depends'. Going to a larger single can can actually work against you with a significant change in back pressure, so, most likely, you will require a re-jetting. You're going to want to get it tuned anyway, so it makes sense to get that done while you're at it anyway, IMO.
    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

thanks nero so would i probably be better off running it with the duals?

Comment

I have a V&H SS2R that I am trying to get rid of. I am going to back to the dual set up.
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

how much r u looking to get for the v&h system?

Comment

Originally posted by srm1988 View Post
            thanks nero so would i probably be better off running it with the duals?
            You're most likely going to need a tuning with a significant exhaust change so you may as well rejet. A rejet kit won't cost too much and there is even a 'poor man's rejet' that some guys do on here.

If you're looking to go cheap, keeping it as it is would be the best (obviously). But, if you decide to change to a single, you could get off cheap by rejetting it yourself. The kit costs 90-100 bucks, but I've seen them for much less. If you get it tuned, the entire switchover would run you about $350-400. Alot of money for a bike of that age. If it's cosmetics you're thinking about, I wouldn't sink the money into it. You likely won't see significant power gains.

Personally, I'd ride it as-is and save my money for my next bike, but that's my opinion.
            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

thank you again nero for your input i think for now i will keep it as is cause next season i wanna look to get newer bike so ill keep it the way it is thanks

Comment

4-1 OEM muffler designed for 2 cylinders...
                its going to be a huge bottle neck and cost you power.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

thanks ill keep the duals

Comment

thank you again nero for your input i think for now i will keep it as is cause next season i wanna look to get newer bike so ill keep it the way it is thanks

No problem, dude. Anytime.

A lot of people come on here, get unhappy with their kats, throw a heap of money into them then still aren't happy. Then they end up selling their bikes and losing the investment they're put into it. Ride the Kat for awhile, then if you aren't happy, sell the bike (it likely won't depreciate by much in another year), take the money you get out of it (and the money you save by not modding it) and get the bike you really want.
                    =USAF= Retired

Comment

ok this might be a dumb question but is the kat an ok bike to start stunting on cause i was gonna run it this yr and when i get a new bike maybe using it to practice stunting on

Comment

i have a 1989 katana 750 it has dual glasspack exhaust
                        I don't know what you have for exhaust cans.. But 4 into 2 is the stock set up for an 89, unless you meant 98..

Comment

ok this might be a dumb question but is the kat an ok bike to start stunting on cause i was gonna run it this yr and when i get a new bike maybe using it to practice stunting on
                          It's the perfect bike to stunt on, if you can get it's lead azz off the ground. If you stunt in a Kat you can stunt on anything but a Harley.

Better buy fork seals by the dozen...
                          =USAF= Retired

Comment

thanks again nero and i will keep the forks seals in mind

Comment

Working...
                            X