X

Building a Street Fighter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a Street Fighter

I recently purchased a 1995 katana 600 for a streetfighter project. I was wondering what everyone was using for carbs? Currently I have the stock setup, and may just jet them, but I am having a hard time keeping them adjusted, for some reason my number one carb is pulling to much fuel causing it to idle rough and purge fuel. Just thought I would see if anyone was using aftermarket carbs?
    Needs an anger powered jetpack.

After market carbs?!?!
    Holy crap those would cost more than the bike...

You need your carbs cleaned. Most likely you have a stuck float or float valve leaking.

Comment

I've used aftermarket mikunis before and they were leaps and bounds better than stock setup, different bike of course, and just about anything I put on the bike is gonna cost as much as if not more than the bike itself. but $500.00 for a 95 katan with 10000 miles that runs sounded like a deal to me. as far as a stuck float, I have been through these carbs twice and even took it to a shop just to be sure I wasn't missing anything, and for some reason it will not stay in adjustment. The issue is that after I ride for a month or so, that float goes back to where it was and start purging fuel again. I put 4000 miles on the bike this summer, and that is the only issue I don't have worked out of it.

Comment

Unfortunately, I think putting flatslides on a kat 600 would be much like putting racing slicks on a Geo Metro.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

What's your point???.

Comment

When you took them apart did the float have fuel in it? did the PO 'work' on the carbs? are the floats the correct ones?
            http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
            http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
            "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
            "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
              What's your point???.

Pretty similar. If you put flatslides on a 600 teapot, there better be very little of it mechanically that came factory.
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I get that, I'm not making a racing bike out of it or anything, just want something that I'll be happy with all said and done, I have an R1 for going fast, this is just a fun side project for the winter. Anyway, as far as the floats go, there was fuel in em the first time, and I can't say if they are the correct part or not, it's a used bike, they look like they are right and I just assumed they were. The issue I have is that I probably will have to rebuild them, again, reseal them, again, and rejet them to get where I want to be, and if I can get a newer, less used, better quality aftermarket carb that will give me less trouble, it may very well be worth it to me. SO I'll do some more checking to see what I come across.

on a side note, has anyone had their kat on a dyno? I have a local shop with a trailer dyno I wanna run it on, after I get it running right, then the plan is to jet it, put an exhaust system on it, and run individual air filters for the carbs, in hope I can coax 10-15 ponies out of it. If I can get it to make 100rwhp I'd be really excited, although I don't know exactly what it makes now, never having had it on a dyno.

Comment

Making a legitimate 100rwhp on a 600 kat would be a tall order. Maybe on an optimistic dyno.....

Comment

That's what makes it fun. I could just shoot for 100 Bhp...

Comment

Working...
                    X